Where is the best place in the world to live? (5 Viewers)

Lili Marlene

-
Contributor
Solutions
all this hating Ireland has got me wondering where I should live.

This can be a country, town, village but not 'my gaff'.

Answers on a thumpedcard below please

I don't know, but I do know that it is not:

Dublin
Frederick, Maryland
Rockville, Maryland
Columbia, Maryland
Washington, DC
Anywhere in the state of Rhode Island
NYC (amazing city to visit, but I really couldn't fucking live there)
Cork

It could be Boston but I can't say so because I'm from there and am biased for obvious reasons. But New England is amazing, and I'm pretty sure it's amazing even if you aren't biased because you're from there. Except Rhode Island which is mostly shit, even though it has a few nice places.

I imagine that the most pleasant places to live are places like Vancouver, Portland (Oregon or Maine), some smallish cities in the Midwest, some of the NZ cities, Vienna, most of Scandinavia....

But I've only ever spent significant time in the places above and I can say with some certainty that I would not be president of any of their Chambers of Commerce.

Swords, County Dublin.

Pros - near the sea, nice people for the most part, lots of trees, shopping, cinema, pubs, clubs, restaurants, parks, close enough to the city

Cons - bit of a backwater, no proper gigs, the bi-weekly rumble in main st.

Vancouver, Portland (Oregon), some smallish cities in the Midwest,

I'd defo agree on these two, especially portland as its a lil bit smaller than vancouver, so much good shit goin on, such a beautiful city, cheap to live there (a friend of mine owned a house about a 5 minute bus ride from the city centre that had a huge garden, two huge bedrooms, large sitting room/kitchen and deadly basement and attic that coule be converted, only cost her the equivalent of 80,000 euro about 4 years ago!) and oregon as a state is the most beautiful I saw in the states, that and vermont.

Just wish emigration wasn't such a fucker

I have a soft spot for Perth, WA.

I wouldn't kick Sydney out of the bed for eating crackers either.

I'd defo agree on these two, especially portland as its a lil bit smaller than vancouver, so much good shit goin on, such a beautiful city, cheap to live there (a friend of mine owned a house about a 5 minute bus ride from the city centre that had a huge garden, two huge bedrooms, large sitting room/kitchen and deadly basement and attic that coule be converted, only cost her the equivalent of 80,000 euro about 4 years ago!) and oregon as a state is the most beautiful I saw in the states, that and vermont.

Just wish emigration wasn't such a fucker

Yeah, that's the shit thing. I mean, I'd love to move to Canada, but I don't want to go through the whole immigration thing again. I also don't want to live somewhere where I can't have fairly easy access to transatlantic flights. I will like Ireland and Dublin a lot better once I no longer live here. I think that's what frustrates me about it -- I know I can like it again, I just have to not live here in order for that to happen.

I wouldn't wish the US immigration system on anyone, though. It's not that it's not possible, it's that it is a total fucking pain in the butthole to deal with.

I love Vermont, too, and would consider somewhere like Brattleboro, but I need a bit of coast. I eventually want to retire to Portland, Maine and eat blueberries by the gallon on a wraparound porch. It's a perfect town for what I need out of a town, but it's just a wee bit too slow for my needs at the moment. What I also like is that while there are lots of artsy little towns around NE, they get a little fucking irritating with all of their right-on bubbleness. Portland has a good balance between lefty idealism and plain old realness.

Maine is fucking incredible. My dad and I were telling Mr Jane about the amazingness of New England and both of us were getting a little choked up. It's got a lot of cons, but I think the pros definitely outweigh them, and there's so much diversity between the towns that while one place could be utter shit, the next town over could have a completely different vibe and be lovely to live in.

Salem, MA is also kind of cool if you can put up with fake witches and tourists.

Salem, MA is also kind of cool if you can put up with fake witches and tourists.

I thoroughly enjoyed Salem and it's old sweet shop.

what's the deal with the pedestrian crossings though?

waking up the dead....

coos bay, oregon;i will live there one day on a house boat and do fuck all except watch seals

02ba141d-cf7f-45c8-a553-4b9fed47cc71.jpg

coos_bay.jpg

Coos-Bay-intro.jpg

76596307_ebf0a9af1184111680.jpg

101-OR-Coos%20Bay-Coos%20Bay%20Bridge.jpg

Swords, County Dublin.

Pros - near the sea, nice people for the most part, lots of trees, shopping, cinema, pubs, clubs, restaurants, parks, close enough to the city

Cons - bit of a backwater, no proper gigs, the bi-weekly rumble in main st.

The unchecked, pointless urbanisation of Swords is exactly what's wrong with Dublin as a whole.

I'm gonna say in or around Potes, Cantabria, Spain. Or my grandparents gaff in southern Roscommon, or my greatgrandparents gaff in mid Roscommon. They're three places I'd like to live that I've actually been to. Though Coos Bay has me enchanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back