Whelans:The Redneck Manefesto a bit Kevin Arnold (1 Viewer)

luckypunk

What's the story with this band???? Never have I seen such a desperate need for a front man...the bassist, positioned center stage, is so much like Kevin from the Wonder Years that, I'm sorry, is difficult to be mesmorised by and has absolutely no presence...Why Bambi didn't headline this gig is beyond me and what a tragedy that they are no more.....

That's not very fair. The whole point of a band like the Redneck Manifesto is that there is no frontman. Having a front man would ruin the whole sound. And slagging off the bass player 'cos of his looks is not nice. If he offendeth thine eye don't look...

Why is it the whole point that they have no front man? Am I wrong in saying that they're similar to At the Drive in who have a front man and it adds to the music. It's like watching a rehearsal jam. Although they rocked slightly at various points, they lost their audience. Whelans was rocking for Bambi before them and someow that very same audience had as much activity as a geriatric ward when they came on. It was a real egocentric performance...and an average one at that.

Post-Rock......my ass.......it was nearly jazz......which is cool enough.....but they're badly pigeonholed into a term which means very little. Are you telling me that a front man is a pointless idea and that bands without them are somehow heros ?

im all for bands having frontmen if they want, but why should they have to have a frontman? why cant you enjoy it without having to focus on one person in particular, i'll tell you what why dont you just focus on the drummer in future?

luckypunk? bah you wont be so lucky when i get my hands on you

It was nearly jazz.
It was like At The Drive In.
Ah yes.
I hope the Redneck gentlemen are taking notes.
This guy is going to change your band for the better.
Have you ever thought about band management, Mr L-Punk?

I don't get the Kevin Arnold thing, really.
Probably cos I think Richie's a dreamboat.

In any case there's not much point in having a frontman when there's no lyrics; i'm sure he'd feel like a bit of a fifth wheel...bouncing around like a tit.

and what exactly would a front-man do in an instrumental band? it'd be sorta hard for one of the redneck boys to ponce and pogo about while playing their instrument. are you saying they need a vocalist - 'cos you're sorta missing the point. i mean, stuart from mogwai hardly lights up the fucking room does he? (and he's not exactly good looking either). or do you think mogwai need a front-man too? maybe the rednecks should get dancers and fireworks and wear costumes and makeup...

their music would still sound the same though.

okely dokely neighbours.......lets get this straight....not all bands need a front man ...it can be good with or without depending on the band. In my mind TRM need one: they're not filling the sound enough to survive without lyrics and a vocalist....and no. we don't ned tassles and tinsel to be amazed but musicians have succeeded by presence and image alone so one can be as important as the other. oh yes...and it is possible to play an instrument and do vocals at the same time......amazing eh....I'm thinking of Hendrix, Lynott,Gallagher.........yeah they couldn't "ponce and pogo" around the stage.......and play their instruments.............

i would like to announce the end of germ. (in a not quite bambi-sized blowout, but an ending nonetheless.)

ah jaysus... get rid of that bleedin photo...

luckypunk point taken... don't like us sound buzz.. bambi really should have headlined they fucking rocked.. but they have been doin that for years now... its typical dublin to look back on a band and go they were great...

its just bands though... more important things to be worrying about dontcha think? start up something that fits your description of what a band should sound like... and there you go...

i'm off to work on my image, maybe some surgery or somethin' and also when i was young i used to fancy winnie, i used to pretend i would go to the states and marry her or something.... it was then when i realised i had never had so much in common with my father etc. etc. (fade the byrds singing turn turn turn up... cut to black)

No need Richie, as long as you don't start saying things like "and at that moment, I knew my life would ever be the same again" I reckon you're safe to remain just as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back