What's wrong with thumped.com? (2 Viewers)

1) Search engine on the site is still crap, searched "wrong with thumped", checked search thread titles only and got one result which wasn't this thread. Ended up googling for it instead.

2) There's an intermittent problem with threads displaying in Safari on my iPhone. The screen cuts off the right side of the post but when I scroll across there's nothing there. Sometimes turning the phone from portrait to landscape resolves it but it just happened on the Krautrock thread and turning the phone and refreshing did nothing.

image.png

1) Search engine on the site is still crap, searched "wrong with thumped", checked search thread titles only and got one result which wasn't this thread. Ended up googling for it instead.

The search engine is elasticsearch, which is one of the best out there i'll have you know. The problem in this case seems to be it's indexing the words "thumped" and "thumped.com" as two separate things, and whatever fuzzy analysing magic it does, it doesn't see them as being the same term in the way as it sees the terms 'write' and 'writing'.

Fixing this probably involves lots of poking around with crap like stems, tokens, prefix matching, compound words, ngrams, partial matching... yeah i'm not going to do that.

There's an intermittent problem with threads displaying in Safari on my iPhone. The screen cuts off the right side of the post but when I scroll across there's nothing there. Sometimes turning the phone from portrait to landscape resolves it but it just happened on the Krautrock thread and turning the phone and refreshing did nothing.

View attachment 11277

I'm going to guess this is somehow related to how Safari renders pages with lazy loading of images enabled. I'll turn that off now so it might make a difference.

Yeah! I watched Highrise last night and I thought it was great, and now I need to find the review to check if I'm right.

I still can't read reviews, I keep getting prompted to log into WordPress which, to the best of my knowledge, I'm not signed up to.
Should be the same username & password you use here, but why it's not automatically recognising you I do not know. What happens if you log out here first?

Hmmm, did that. Logged out, could read the review fine so logged back in, got the prompt from Wordpress which then failed to recognise my password. Had I not just used it to log in to Thumped proper I'd be doubting myself.

ok for some reason it doesn't like you... hang on

It says Prince is dead. Been happening for a couple of days. Reading on a phone mostly, but checked from a tablet and it's the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back