whathappen? needs advice about what to do next with regardto her life (1 Viewer)

whathappen?

i am thinkinking about changing jobs for 2 reasons
1 the new one will give me more relevant experience for the future
2 i am not keen on my current place

but my questions are
1 will it look really bad on my cv if i change jobs after 8 months
2 i am planning on heading away to london in the summer so the new job will only last about 4-5 months

anyone out there know anything about such pressing career matters?

You could think about that shit for years without doing anything. Just do what feels good for the moment and everything will fall into place later on

in a loud guitar you say mmmmmmmm how about my new spatula fromthe new dunnes down the road. fuck it anyway i just gonna fuck off get locked laid and rich .in that order.

do it. If it's a better job. i once left a job for another for the money and experience didn't like it and left after 3.5 months one of them was working in my notice. Never looked back

I genuinely never see the point in staying somewhere you hate for any longer than you absolutely have to. If it's not affacting anyone else massively, and if you're not happy, then change things. We don't get all that long on earth, why on earth should we spend any precious days in a job we hate, if we don't have to and if leaving for something else it won't affect anyone we care about.

thanks lads for all the posts. only 26 and worried about all this grown up crap.i never want to be a mature responsible sort.i amgoing to get a new job move to camden and start living a life of debauchery ( i dont even know if thats how you spell it) fuck it .hahahahah i may or may not take up burlesque when i move.i'll see where the mood takes me . i just hope it doesnt take me into a chicken factory or something like that.

Well, if whathappen? is sorted out, I've a similar question:

Does it make sense to leave one job for another that pays a little less, but I'll save that amount in commuting costs, as well as getting an extra 10odd hours of free time in the week (through shorter commute/shorter hours).
The second job pays more per hour when I work it out.

I don't mind the first job at all, but I think the commute might get me fired for lateness in the long-run.

The second job is more "where I want to be", but the actual tasks involved day to day might be less interesting.

I shouldn't feel guilty about leaving a job so soon after starting it. should I? that's silly. Isn't it?

The second job is a 12 month contract, and might end sooner, but it would be great to have it on the CV. The other is permanent, provided again that the commute doesn't get me fired.

Well, if whathappen? is sorted out, I've a similar question:

Does it make sense to leave one job for another that pays a little less, but I'll save that amount in commuting costs, as well as getting an extra 10odd hours of free time in the week (through shorter commute/shorter hours).
The second job pays more per hour when I work it out.

I don't mind the first job at all, but I think the commute might get me fired for lateness in the long-run.

The second job is more "where I want to be", but the actual tasks involved day to day might be less interesting.

I shouldn't feel guilty about leaving a job so soon after starting it. should I? that's silly. Isn't it?

The second job is a 12 month contract, and might end sooner, but it would be great to have it on the CV. The other is permanent, provided again that the commute doesn't get me fired.

Go with the second job if you are sure it is what you want to be doing. I've left several jobs after 6 months or so with no damage to my career prospects. As long as you have a valid reason future employers have no problem with this.

A 12 month contract can be very good and sometimes they can lead to a permanent position.

Also, the improvement in quality of life is worth a lot. Cutting down on commuting and giving yourself more time is always good.

I stayed in a job i didn't like for 7 years. The best thing I ever did was leave. Had loads of ups and downs in the six years since and I sometimes think 'maybe if I had have stayed there etc.' but I know for a fact that whatever benefits I might have gotten (money, big gaff etc) I would be clinically insane by now.

Go for it if it feels right. Length of service means nothing on a CV these days. And if you're asked at an interview why you left just tell the truth - you wanted to gain broader experience in your field. No potential employer would argue with that.

Let us know whathappen, whathappen!

Two jobs on a CV in quick sucession makes you look flaky unless you have a really good reason.

Personally if I knew I was heading off in a couple of month I'd tough it out, but it depends on the type of work too. Whats the normal legth in that type of work?

Also as a rule of thumb it better to stay longer than 6 months. If you are there 6 month it looks like you werent kept on after your probation.

I know thats kind of rough but you would be surprised at the assumptions people make when reading CVs

I'd say change. You can always say you were only on a temporary contract if you're asked about why you moved. I jumped jobs three times last year and leaving the second last one for the last (after 3 months) was one of the best things I ever did and make a massive change for the better in my life. As Roxy and egg_ say life's too short to be stuck in something you hate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back