What you been listening to this week? (7 Viewers)

oh yeah i've been meaning to listen to that. Based on the B-52's latter-day stuff and some of her collaborations over the years I wasn't that excited and forgot all about it. Maybe i'll give it a whirl...

tl;dr accumulator post:

Coil Colour Sound Oblivion (discs 10-16):
The end of my Coil marathon. The live box is great but it does get a bit tedious hearing the same sets over and over again in one go, better to dip in and out of. The Dublin gig is wonderful though, great memories and a completely unique performance. It's a pity that the material never made it to the studio before Balance died.

Nurse With Wound/Graham Bowers Mutation: The Lunatics Are Running the Asylum:
Sad to hear of Graham Bowers passing away a couple of weeks ago. His albums with NWW over the last two years have been brilliant, easily some of the best stuff either of them have come out with. Mad music but utterly compelling.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Throbbing Gristle TG NOW
Throbbing Gristle The Third Mind Movements:
The reformed Throbbing Gristle were a bit of a let down compared to their original run, the live performances seemed to boil down to greatest hits sets and the big album Part Two - The Endless Not felt phoned in. However, these two releases made good on the promise. TG NOW is mostly terrific, only one song really plods along whereas the rest felt like what a 21st century TG should be. The Third Mind Movements captures that early murk, setting the listener on edge and drawing them in at the same time.

The Triffids In the Pines:
A friend of mine turned me on to The Triffids around the time these reissues came out on Domino. Easily one of the best bands I've heard in years, I'm really surprised there isn't more of a following around them than there is. Or else there is and I'm just blind to it.

Planxty The Well Below the Valley:
Not as good as the black album but still bloody good.

Scott Walker Scott
Scott Walker Scott 2
Scott Walker Scott 3
Scott Walker Scott 4
Scott Walker Climate of Hunter
Scott Walker Tilt
Scott Walker The Drift
Scott Walker And Who Shall Go to the Ball? And What Shall Go to the Ball?
Scott Walker Bish Bosch:
Fucking genius on so many levels. Those four solo albums from the 60s/70s are untouchable. Then he steps things up a gear, two gears even and goes into his weird outsider Beckettian songwriter mode and just gets better. I'd be hard pressed to pick out one if I had to but it would probably be either Scott 4, Tilt or The Drift. I know those albums inside-out but I still get surprised by them or hear something new in them every time.

Moss Tombs of the Blind Drugged:
Probably my favourite modern doom band now that Electric Wizard have appeared to have lost it. Hammond organ filth!

Six Organs of Admittance Shelter from the Ash
Six Organs of Admittance Luminous Night:
I rarely play Luminous Night but I must say it's better than I remember. Shelter from the Ash is easily my favourite Six Organs album, the right balance of focus and psychedelic drift.

Gang of Four Entertainment!:
Classic album but I've never ventured beyond this. Saw them at Electric Picnic once and they played pretty much only stuff from this, was great. Lead singer smashed a microwave with a baseball bat in time to the beat.

Terry Riley Poppy Nogood and the Phantom Band - All Night Flight - Suny Buffalo, New York, 22 March 1968:
I always remember this being boring. I'm a fucking moron sometimes, it's great!

Current 93 Of Ruine or Some Blazing Starre:
Perfect album once you get past David Tibet's vocals. I think it's Steven Stapleton's mixing/production that takes it from slightly barmy out-of-its-time folk album into a masterpiece. That being said, Michael Cashmore was the best thing to happen to Current 93. Such a gifted musician.

Labradford A Stable Reference:
This is bedding in now, didn't think much of it at first but it's not bad. Not their best by any means but a poor effort from Labradford is still worth listening to.

Can Future Days:
Fuck yeah!

John Cale Vintage Violence:
Fuck no! I should like this way more than I do. Cale never did it for me after The Velvet Underground as much as Lou Reed did. Songs for Drella is the only one I can think of that I really loved.

Glenn Jones Barbecue Bob in Fishtown:
Sunny music for sunny days.

Swans My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky:
I think, and this might be heresy, that this might be the best of all the albums Swans put out. Ever.

Tony Conrad Fantastic Glissando:
Sine waves and tape machines. It's grand but not exactly a toe-tapper.

Eleh Location Momentum:
Sine waves and analogue synths. Not a toe-tapper either but super fucking good.

Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral:
Angstalgia.

The Stooges Fun House:
Lives up to its name except it isn't house music.

Pandit Pran Nath Midnight:
Two recordings from the 70s, one with Terry Riley (amongst others) and the other with La Monte Young (amongst others). Apparently you're only meant to play this/listen to this/perform this raga at midnight and it can summon up demons. It feels like it but I was listening to it in the car in the sunshine so I felt safe from any supernatural attack.

Seremonia Seremonia
Finnish heavy rock/doom metal. Not sure I love it but it passes the time.

Bruce Springsteen Nebraska:
The only Springsteen album I have and I love it. However, I think it's the only one that is in this sparse style and I'm not a fan of the E Street Band, it all sounds a bit cheesy for me. Would buy any number of albums that sounded like this though.

Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter Like, Love, Lust & The Open Halls of the Soul:
Very much reminds me of Neil Young's Harvest but if Neil Young was a witchy woman instead. Keep meaning to check out more of her stuff, I also liked her contribution to the Sunn O))) and Boris album that came out around the same time as this.

M. Gira/D. Matz What We Did:
Bought this many many years ago when I started looking for Swans albums but couldn't find them for less than 30 quid. Road had this for a tenner or so and I took a punt on it, it's very nice but obviously very different to Swans. I'd call this pretty and mellow. Nice sparse acoustic playing, subtle electronics and I love the lyrics. Checked out Dan Matz's band Windsor for the Derby on the strength of this but wasn't that impressed.

The Rockets The Rockets:
Crazy Horse before they were Crazy Horse. Really great album of dirty Californian garage rock. They had a fiddle player (who plays on "Requiem for the Rockets" on Neil Young's first album with Crazy Horse) who makes the music really leap out of the speakers. Too bad they never did more like this, the Crazy Horse albums without Young were always a bit tepid. Unfortunately none of the really good tracks are on YouTube.

Emeralds Just to Feel Anything:
I really liked their earlier kosmische sounding albums, the spacey drones worked for me. This one was a bit too 80s action film/80s Tangerine Dream for me. Not as bad as that awful Oneotronix Point Never guy but really not in the same ball park as the rest of the stuff Emeralds had put out.

H.P. Lovecraft Dreams in the Witch House: The Complete Philips Recordings:
Bit hippie dippy but fun.

The National Boxer:
Absolutely perfect album. I had ignored it for ages because of all the hype around them and I was sorry I did. Not that fussed on anything else I've heard by them though.

DNA DNA on DNA:
I only found out the other day that not all of the original LP is on the CD reissue. What the fuck lads? In fairness, one of the missing tracks is a cover of "Whole Lotta Love" and after listening to it online, I'm not missing much.

Comus Song to Comus – The Complete Collection
Comus East of Sweden
Comus Out of the Coma:
The first disc of The Complete Collection is unbelievable, some of the freakiest and most exciting music of the time and still stands up to any challengers 40 years down the road. If you haven't heard their album First Utterence (which is the first disc here along with b-sides from the time), you haven't lived. The second disc is absolute muck. East of Sweden is a good reunion live album and the studio effort Out of the Coma is better than expected but the ECM style sax doesn't really fit.

Tony Conrad/Tim Barnes/Mattin Tony Conrad/Tim Barnes/Mattin:
Utterly forgettable generic noise release.

Josef Van Wissem/SQÜRL Only Lovers Left Alive [OST]:
Best soundtrack of the last 10-20 years.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress:
This one is growing on me a lot, wish I could have heard it a few times before they played here. I think I would have enjoyed that segment of the show a lot more had I been more familiar with the material.

The Hafler Trio The Sea Org:
Still one of the stranger albums in my collection.

Terry Riley Reed Streams/L’Infonie – In C (Mantra):
Reed Streams is a bit boring, Riley playing sax through a delay pedal. The version of In C here is magnificent, it's a recording from the 70s of a jazzy rock band doing the piece and it is so so good. Blueprint for Dublin Gone. Everybody Dead Jimmy Cake right there.

SPK Information Overload Unit
SPK Zamia Lehmanni: Songs of Byzantine Flowers
Information Overload Unit
lives up its name, old school 80s industrial like one would expect from lads who used to play in front of projections of dissections and necrophilia. Zamia Lehmanni is the exact opposite, kind of Dead Can Dance-ish but actually good.

Various Artists Shutter Island [OST]:
The film was good but the soundtrack was so much better. Perfect starter for anyone looking to get into modern composition, all the important names are here: Cage, Feldman, Ligeti, Penderecki, etc.

The Threshold HouseBoys Choir Form Grows Rampant
SoiSong qXn948s
The Threshold HouseBoys Choir Amulet Edition
SoiSong xAj3z
Electric Sewer Age Moon’s Milk in Final Phase
CoH/Peter Christopherson SoiSong Split EP
Peter Christopherson Time Machines 2
Peter “Sleazy” Christopherson The Art of Mirrors: Homage to Derek Jarman:
Followed my Coil marathon with a run through of most of Peter Christopherson's post-Coil work. Some of these are amazing (the first in particular) and others are more middling. A couple of the releases that came out after he died are marred by other people's contributions such as a really shitty COH track on the SoiSong Split EP and Danny Hyde putting an awful dancey track at the end of the Moon's Milk album (three tracks of serene and gorgeous soundscapes finished with a tacky 90s club track? WTF!?).

Tony Conrad Early Minimalism:
Four CD box set of heavy viola minimalism. This was a game-changer for me. Blows the cobwebs clean out of your skull along with most of your brain. None of it is on YouTube but do yourself a favour and just buy it.

Blondie The Best of Blondie:
Because it can't all be drones and obscure electronic music.

Talking Heads Stop Making Sense:
This is way better than any of their studio albums. I wish I was there.

Pulp Different Class:
I'm still not sick of the singles from this and the deep cuts are equally wonderful.

Neil Young Hawks & Doves:
Overlooked and underated.

Grinderman Grinderman
Grinderman Grinderman 2
The first Grinderman album is a belter, it was a refreshing blast of humour and fun from Cave given that the Bad Seeds had become a goth wedding band around this time. The second album was fine but I think the novelty of his mid-life crisis band had worn off.

(r) The Sickness Bag
One sided LP from Fabrizio Palumbo from Larsen. Starts with a cover of "House of the Rising Sun" which really takes off towards the end. The two originals on it are much stronger, particularly the last one. Looks gorgeous too (white vinyl with a gold print on the blank side).

Kinks - Preservation Act 1 - A quite brilliant Kinks album, massively underrated. I find a lot of their 70's stuff close to unlistenable but this is all fantastic.

The Roches - The Roches - I've known about these for years but somehow never actually got around to listening to them till a few days ago (after seeing Jonah posting one of their songs). Fantastic, I love it.

Pointer Sisters - Break Out - I suspect they are a singles band. Some serious filler on here, but the good tracks are SO AMAZING.

Cameo - Secret Omen - deadly album from 1979 where they really found their sound.

The Police - Ghost in the Machine - A good police album. It often makes it onto top 100/500 albums of the 80's which is totally undeserved and i assume is based on the singles alone and/or people who bought it as a teenager remembering it better than it was. Some decent jam workouts on it though.

Cab Calloway - Are you Hep to the Jive? - Are you hep, are you hep are you keepin in step? A(n apparently) good compilation of Cab + band hollering their way through his more over the top stuff.

The Colour Field - Virgins & Philistines - I only vaguely know the Colour Field but they cover a Roches song on it so I gave it a whirl. On first listen seems to be really, really deadly.

The Beat - Special Beat Service - I probably talked about this earlier. A great album.

Vanity - Wild Animal - I have half a mind to write a full on essay about this one. Utterly insane mid 80's attempt by Motown to set up Vanity as some kind of sex-kitten take on Grace Jones. She can barely sing, was apparently coked up to her eyeballs and the songs are the most over-produced thing i've ever heard. Not good, but very enjoyable.

I'm all about Serge Gainsbourg at the moment and currently working my way through all his records. Jane & Serge is a favourite but I also love the tape delay drenched vocals of Mauvaises Nouvelles Des Etoiles

This is great though. He's a proper obsession at the moment.

I know it but try convincing my wallet of that. I think when I finally get up to date with the big King Crimson box sets (still need Starless and Bible Black and Larks' Tongues in Aspic), I'll look into it.

Ugh, the 80s stuff was terrible! Not all the 70s stuff was good (Lizard is a load of guff) but the debut and Red are two of my favourite albums by anyone. Red in particular is terrific and I've listened to that box set three times since getting it in December. I think I'll be playing it again soon.

on repeat y'all

Been a metally week around here, here are my SCORES:

Mutoid Man - Hmm, nowhere near as mental as the debut, has some cracking bits still, but mushed in among what seems to be a lorry load of generic, straight ahead riffing. Watery, but hoping it sinks in some. I give it 6/10.

High on Fire - Sounds exactly the same as the last High on Fire record, it's great!

Elder - Lore. This, I had a go of this back when it came out in the spring and it passed me by completely, must have been squirting merengue mix into my ears. @old recommended it the other day and I put it on not remembering I'd already tried it. And I loved it! It's just a bunch of great big, exploratory smart arse riffs. Fetch it. https://beholdtheelder.bandcamp.com/album/lore

Mind you, I probably only like it now because Old told me to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back