What you been listening to this week? (1 Viewer)

Quiet week, mainly low-key music to ease Baby Ammonis into the world of sound.

Nurse With Wound/Blind Cave Salamander Cabbalism:
3CD reissue of the single LP album from 2012. Excellent live recordings of NWW and Blind Cave Salamander supposedly doing material from NWW's classic Soliloquy for Lilith triple album (which is masterpiece in strange ambient/soundscape headfuckery). It doesn't sound much like Soliloquy but it might be as good, if not better. The dense drones and distant tones give the music an amniotic quality. Serious bang of Stars of the Lid off the whole thing. Baby Ammonis approved.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Neil Young Comes a Time:
One of my favourite Neil Young albums, I think this is superior to his other acoustic/country themed albums. His cover of "Four Strong Winds" is beautiful and there are few songs ever performed that are more wonderful than the title track. Baby Ammonis developed hiccups and didn't seem too fussed on this. She did like when I sang along which I'm sure she'll learn to be deeply embarassed by.

Sigur Rós Ágætis Byrjun:
More music for babies. Baby Ammonis seemed indifferent to this as she slept through the whole thing.

John Coltrane A Love Supreme:
Baby Ammonis loved this as she wriggled and kicked when the band started swinging. I also watched the Live in France 1965 DVD (Sky Arts broadcasted it) and she loved that too. Good girl!

Low A Lifetime of Temporary Relief: 10 Years of B-Sides and Rarities:
More indifference but Mrs. Ammonis found this soothing so good going there. Some great stuff on this but it annoys me a bit that their cover of Joy Division's "Transmission" wasn't included in this set.

Cluster 71
Cluster II
Was gutted to hear that Dieter Moebius died last week. Kluster/Cluster/Harmonia/his solo work has been a big part of my listening experience since I was a teenager. These two albums cemented their glorious early sound, setting out the blueprints for electronic music for the next 30 years. Would Brian Eno ever have made such sublime music had he not visited Cluster to learn from them? I don't think we would have had Bowie's Berlin trilogy either. Huge loss.

Stars of the Lid Carte-de-Visite:
Odds and ends compilation which is up there with Tired Sounds and Refinement for me. If I could be in a band whose best album was on a part with this, let alone their castaways, I think I'd consider my life complete.

Sonic Youth Sister:
Haven't listened to this in about ten years. I find more and more I only listen to Daydream Nation and Sonic Nurse. However, my friend was up visiting Baby Ammonis and we were talking about Sonic Youth and he said he hadn't listened to this one in years either so I stuck it on. It's a lot better than I remember.

Dizzy Gillespie The Giant:
Looking through my jazz collection (prompted by @travispickle's jazz thread) and didn't realise I owned any Dizzy Gillespie. I liked this a lot but according to the internet it's a lacklustre performance. I need to dig deeper if this is lacklustre.

Last edited:
@Cornu Ammonis -
Comes a Time is one of my fave Neil Young's, so many great tracks and I deeply love Four Strong Winds also.
I don't have or know any Dizzy Gillespie, so I must add him to my Jazz pile.
Apart from Jazz, this week I've been listening to:
Tame Impala - Currents
Dylan Howe - Subterranean
The Smoking Trees - TST
The Sandpipers - Guantanamera
The Vulgar boatmen - Please Panic

Still listening all the time, I love all of it now.

G'WAN D'ANGELO
I love it too but that seven dwarves whistling one is a shocker, wtf. It's so tantalizingly close to being perfect that I find myself finding fault with all sorts of little things like most of the guitar playing and vocals.

Apparently there's a new album not too far off.

I love it too but that seven dwarves whistling one is a shocker, wtf.

I love that song!

It's so tantalizingly close to being perfect that I find myself finding fault with all sorts of little things like most of the guitar playing and vocals.
The vocals are really weird though, i've seen a fair few people criticising it for just being so damn mumbly, and they're not wrong really, I just really like them that way.

I think Jesse Johnson from the Time is on guitar for most of it, he's definitely in the touring band. He released a similar double album a few years back that I found unlistenable. Might try it again though.

Apparently there's a new album not too far off.
Yeah I saw that, after 15 years he still wasn't happy about it and it took the Trayvon Martin case to force him to release it. He'll probably bury himself with this follow up piece for another decade.

I haven't listened to his other album(s) - any good? I imagine it'll be more regular r'n'b stuff
I've never listened! Been meaning to listen to him for years just cos there's a huge crossover in prince fans and his fanbase. I believe he only learnt guitar in the past decade so as a listener coming from a rock background they'd be a bit more difficult. Voodoo is supposed to be an absolute masterpiece anyway.

I will listen to it today

The following two albums are shit - I listened to them yesterday:
Steve Tibbetts - A Man About A Horse
Sounds like a compilation of incidental music from cop shows where the cops ride jet-skis and run around on the beach.
David Torn - Tripping Over God
Kinda more of the same but it had some decent enough guitar widdle in spots.

Some good things I encountered recently for the first time
Arto Lindsay - just dipped in to his back catalogue here and there, seems good, I will investigate further
Kip Hanrahan - Coup De Tête
Kind of a strange mix up of rock/jazz/avant garde new york stuff. I think arto lindsay might be on it, I forget
Autechre - Tri Repetae
I never listened to these lads before, it's good I like it.

I listened to that Enforcer album Diamonds all the way though twice yesterday. It's a lot of fun. NWOBHM style...em....metal.

I've also been listening to the Lone Bellow a good bit because I went my brother had a spare ticket to see them in Whelans last night. Country stuff. It's very nice. Check out the song Call to War. They're amazing live.

Shaney said:
Arto Lindsay - just dipped in to his back catalogue here and there, seems good, I will investigate further

there're two arto lindsays (same guy, different hats) - the no-wave.noise one and the brazilian/tropicalia song one - and the two don't often intersect. i like em both but i know a good few people who don't.

there's good footage of his ambitious lovers band on 'put blood in the music'

for the no-wave/noise one check out the band DNA and his trio CD aggregates 1-26.
this comp http://www.discogs.com/Arto-Lindsay-Encyclopedia-Of-Arto/release/5783512 has a decent selection of the bossa/tropicalia tracks with a solo live set tacked on (which i haven't heard) that apparently applies a bit of the no-wave aesthetic to the bossa songs.

there're two arto lindsays (same guy, different hats) - the no-wave.noise one and the brazilian/tropicalia song one - and the two don't often intersect. i like em both but i know a good few people who don't.

there's good footage of his ambitious lovers band on 'put blood in the music'

for the no-wave/noise one check out the band DNA and his trio CD aggregates 1-26.
this comp http://www.discogs.com/Arto-Lindsay-Encyclopedia-Of-Arto/release/5783512 has a decent selection of the bossa/tropicalia tracks with a solo live set tacked on (which i haven't heard) that apparently applies a bit of the no-wave aesthetic to the bossa songs.
Actually I listened to Encyclopedia of Arto last night, it's very good. As you say it has a nice set of tunes and quite abrasive live stuff. The live stuff is still songs just accompanied by 'noisy' guitar. Its not noise music as such, I dunno how you'd describe the guitar playing really.

I listened to one of his bands too, probably ambitious lovers, i forget. It reminded me a bit of 80s King Crimson - vocal and guitar style were quite like adrian belew on that one except probably better

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back