What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (3 Viewers)

I was held at gunpoint by the RUC as a child in the car everytime we crossed the border :p

(yes they did pole the guns into the cars)

I’m also old enough to remember this... though it was the army at the border, not the RUC, right? I don’t know. anyway I associate it with ice cream, because dealing with the army at the border was always preceded by the most dire warnings from my mother not to get fidgety in the back, with promises of ice cream afterwards if I was good. so some kid with a gun would bark questions at my folks and then twenty minutes later we’d get ice cream... so basically british imperialism was all fine really because it got me treats.

I’m also old enough to remember this... though it was the army at the border, not the RUC, right? I don’t know. anyway I associate it with ice cream, because dealing with the army at the border was always preceded by the most dire warnings from my mother not to get fidgety in the back, with promises of ice cream afterwards if I was good. so some kid with a gun would bark questions at my folks and then twenty minutes later we’d get ice cream... so basically british imperialism was all fine really because it got me treats.
I remember the army anyway. We were heading up with the college hurling team to play Jordanstown and they got on the bus at the border. All the hurls were below and the bus driver told them we were a soccer team so they left us alone.

Fucking Aughnacloy, such a weird mix of happiness we were nearly home and being terrorised by the forces of the Crown.

Best one was they had installed new speedbumps sometime in the 1990s and my da, myself and two brothers were in the car, so as to avoid it getting pinned, us brothers got out. I was pretty big and tall even as a teenager but my brothers are even taller so the spotty teenage squaddies got a bit ashen faced as each one of us emerged from the car. Unfortunately they were the ones holding the automatic weapons.

Also, I think a lot of parents were understandably panicky after they executed Aidan McAnespie on his way to the GAA grounds outside Aughnacloy in 1988.

Ah here, new "memories of the border" thread?

I'm pretty detached from all of that personally really. My dad and his brother in law had some trouble with squaddies when they went up north in the late eighties. "Why are you here". gun in face. "Well, we're here to buy a second hand lorry". A true and legitimate reason, but I guess it sounded suspicious and they looked suspicious, being wooly jumpered bearded men with an odd story. Why is there two of you? Well, one of us needs to drive the lorry back, obviously? Squaddie couldn't grasp that. Idiot with a gun.

Our old Italian drummer got the gun treatment by the PSNI on his way to the gig in Derry. He understood neither the history, nor that showing up for soundcheck was more important than going to Navan for a meal on the way, nor the idea that driving at 100mph down the hard shoulder was a problem.

I have to say, the youngers I work with have benefited from all of this coverage of the anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement. They don't understand it, but they have asked questions. I try to explain and not get too....you know.

Also, I think a lot of parents were understandably panicky after they executed Aidan McAnespie on his way to the GAA grounds outside Aughnacloy in 1988.

A relation of mine by marriage was the local GP who attended to him after he was shot, I doubt the lad I go to will ever have to do something like that in his career.

there's been at least three cancellings since then. judy blume on yer bike!

Amazon product ASIN B0B8SYKSVS
Judy Blume's documentary hits amazon in 3 days time.

Perfect timing for going for the free fish in a barrell global PR of both siding and denouncing JK rowling on twitter, twitter takes the bait, people who don't bother with twitter get to read about her apology/nonpology in the news outlet that best suits their political leaning and hey presto, front page of amazon prime, well done everyone, great work.

I was held up in a place I worked by someone who said he had a gun and was a member of the IRA. Turned out neither were true.
Pretty scary regardless when you're 16!!
Yeah, this happened to me at 16 or 17
Working at the North Strand bingo hall
Two guys put a gun to my head and told me my brains were "going all over that wall"
They don't really mean it - they just want money - but it sticks with you for a while

As if we sit around all day talking about fighting the Brits,

I kinda do

I mean not all day, and not fighting per se
Not even my fault. It's them. They're always at it, you see?

I have LOVED having the US president here, reminding the Tories and Sunak that we have a 300lb gorilla as a best friend

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back