What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (6 Viewers)

A 'pass' on what exactly?
Being ambushed on national radio over a fecking deleted tweet about something very upsetting, which she clearly had no interest in talking about again?
Just give the girl a heads up.
I'd say anyone deserves that courtesy. Footballer or anyone.
I'm not defending her as much as her right - all of our right - to have a fair go.

I mentioned Kellie's background to paint a fuller picture of her, for someone who never heard of her before.
And to show the kind of rich life that so many on Twitter want cast aside - successfully it looks like rn.
Under suspicion of having had thoughts they don't agree with.

Everyone's up for showing kindness and empathy until it costs them a scintilla of anything.
And demand it in abundance for things they care about.
Aren’t boxers meant to be good on the defensive? A question about a thing she has said during an interview that wasn’t even about boxing but actually about being a brand ambassador for a campaign about communities. Maybe you want communities based around racism but it’s a fair question to ask given the context. Honestly, it’s a fair question to ask even if it was about boxing. If she’s been hailed as a hero (your word) then she needs to expect that someone is going to take her to task for racism.

I still don’t get why the fact that it’s deleted matters a damn though. It didn’t undo the statement or the intention. If she used her time on OTB to apologise or to say mea culpa or whatever, then deleting it might mean something. Just bulldozing through the rest of the interview saying that she didn’t want to talk about it just makes it look far worse. I didn’t see someone being ambushed, I saw someone weaselling out of taking responsibility for what they’ve said.

I'm quite sure you have the brains to work out what a purity test is
Explain it to me like I’m 5 because I don’t see how an interviewer, interviewing a public figure, and asking about a racist comment they have made on one of the world’s biggest websites is either a purity test or a public shaming. Spar aren’t even dropping her so it’s being burned at the stake. How has she been punished exactly? I’m not even saying she should be but the idea that she’s a victim here is delusional.

[QUOTE="Deadmanposting, post: 1837201, member: 1272

Working class communities take the brunt of whatever is going wrong in society. And the refugee system is not a flagship success in Ireland.
That's the community Kellie is coming from and the one I'm from.
Views on immigration are varied. Most people in Ireland want to help, but also only up to a point also. People want limits on who is coming in.
This spectrum of views are not represented or debated in the media that I can see. And especially not on a right-on smugfest like OTB.

[/QUOTE]

I think that’s very relevant

Explain it to me like I’m 5 because I don’t see how an interviewer, interviewing a public figure, and asking about a racist comment they have made on one of the world’s biggest websites is either a purity test or a public shaming. Spar aren’t even dropping her so it’s being burned at the stake. How has she been punished exactly? I’m not even saying she should be but the idea that she’s a victim here is delusional.
I didn't say this was a purity test, just that purity tests exist

Would you be cool about being publicly piled-on? I know she has plenty of defenders too, but if I had a load of people on twitter saying I'm a bad person I'd find it incredibly hard to deal with

I do not have it all figured out, but these are three experiences about where I'm coming from.

1 - An older family member who I loved very much, posted one of those "Irish people Were Slaves" links in our Whatsapp family and relatives group, and I had a slight go at them.
If I tell you I was evenhanded, I can assure you that means I probably came off like a prick.
This is one of the kindest, most gentle people I have ever known, and they brought the story because they thought it was interesting - they were mad about history - but also like we all do in those groups, to seek the esteem of others. To feel loved in a world that can be lonely. I know this person was wounded by my reaction. Who wouldn’t be? Because you're basically calling someone a racist in front of everyone else.
We never really spoke about it, but I would get links from them about stories that were about black and white people getting along and all this crack. What this beautiful hurt person was telling me was "See, I'm really not a racist. I promise. Please don't think I am". But you can't really unring that kind of hurt you cause someone, especially in front of others.
They died last year, and I wish every single day that I’d done better by them. Because what are we here for really? If not that?

2 - A good friend of mine, a bartender that became a friend. We’d go out boozing and I’d be with the after hours group. Super guy. Hilarious. Never did me a bad turn. Always pleased to see me. The way a dog might be, which I mean nicely. Well, he posted something on Facebook. Wait, not even that. He joined some Facebook group that I took objection to, and I defriended him, and soon enough after that quit drinking. Again, never resolved it. Barely saw him again. Died on NYE of a heart attack.

3 - Someone I love very much. Grew up with me in Ballybough and Coolock. Single Mom, good job. She’s hired a cleaner, because you know, kids and all. They get on great. Chats and laughs. Well, she’s lately told me that her cleaner (from Finglas) has "made a few anti-immigration comments" and while my friend has not said anything, she’s waiting for the right moment to “educate her a little”. This strikes me as horrific. She can do what she wants, but this isn’t how I’m want to live my life. Telling others how they’re thinking wrong. (I save that for here - lol)

As you get older and you become more and more invisible. Your world gets smaller. Life takes people and things away from you. You don’t have to help this process along by picking unnecessary fights and correcting people because you’re so smart and well-informed and thoughtful. And they’re blinkered and ignorant.

Now we’re all gonna meet out & out hateful shitbags that spew bile, and I won’t let that agenda-driven hatred slide in my company. But I’m well done being in a mob or policing someone’s thoughts and opinions.

So that’s why I’m sticking up for Kellie. She’s from Portland Row (neighbours), she’s a hero to girls and gay teens – we need more of her, not less – and she’s had a mare of an experience, and her whole public persona has been held up for ridicule. She doesn’t need me on Twitter being the 625th guy to slam on her. There’s plenty of dudes doing that. The world does not need more pricks.

Tl;dr I’ve been and still am a prick, but I have to at least try and live with kindness and understanding, and without meanness or I’m going to regret it, and waste what little time I have left.

Yeah but when did they beat Germany or Brazil or Kellie? Half of them don't even last a full game.
They didn't beat Japan when it really counted.
And the women got knocked out of the World Cup by Spain and then blamed the IRFU.
Come back to me when the guys win a quarter final.

You understood the post, well done. Her sporting ability, her gender, and her sexuality are being brought up as a reasonable defence for posting about immigrants in a hugely negative and racist manner. Yes she deleted it but as a public figure using her considerable platform to push a racist and frankly damaging viewpoint (just look at the anti-immigrant views that are blooming across the news), she absolutely should be challenged on it
OTB are arguably responsible for that tweet going further and wider than it ever would have in the first place which is how that right wing machine of the current era works - either OTB don't understand the machine (which is their responsibility and area of supposed expertise) or they 100% understand it and willingly went with it... When is their trial by media?

Kellie like a lot of people is exposed to that right propaganda which is pretty well coordinated to put it mildly, the stuff with one grain of truth buried in a mess of other things - A young woman was indeed murdered by and immigrant and everything else added to that sentence by everyone along the way has a motive - Did I ever say she gets a pass for being racist? Nope, I said the opposite - I just don't and won't be sucked into reducing things to a binary equation of goodies and baddies as is the endgame of all this - and if I'm not willing to play, I slowly become the baddies, right?

If i can be convinced that over one tweet that a woman I have never met in my life is racist and should be branded such I am no different to a person who can be convinced in tweet that immigrants are all bad people.

i'm still just bemused that neither she nor the PR team had prepared her for questions like this, which could have been deflected with something like 'yes, it was a stupid tweet, i apologised for it, i'm trying to show that's not who i am and am trying to move on from it'.

OTB are arguably responsible for that tweet going further and wider than it ever would have in the first place which is how that right wing machine of the current era works - either OTB don't understand the machine (which is their responsibility and area of supposed expertise) or they 100% understand it and willingly went with it... When is their trial by media?

Kellie like a lot of people is exposed to that right propaganda which is pretty well coordinated to put it mildly, the stuff with one grain of truth buried in a mess of other things - A young woman was indeed murdered by and immigrant and everything else added to that sentence by everyone along the way has a motive - Did I ever say she gets a pass for being racist? Nope, I said the opposite - I just don't and won't be sucked into reducing things to a binary equation of goodies and baddies as is the endgame of all this - and if I'm not willing to play, I slowly become the baddies, right?

If i can be convinced that over one tweet that a woman I have never met in my life is racist and should be branded such I am no different to a person who can be convinced in tweet that immigrants are all bad people.
how many tweets would it take to convince you?

i'm still just bemused that neither she nor the PR team had prepared her for questions like this, which could have been deflected with something like 'yes, it was a stupid tweet, i apologised for it, i'm trying to show that's not who i am and am trying to move on from it'.
yep, exactly. It was one tweet and she deleted it, but she has never come out and clarified her opinions. That hasn't helped. Now she has a section of society baying for her blood, calling her a racist, with another section waving Irish flags, talking about 'unvetted males of military age' coming in droves to our shore, using her as a poster-child.

she could easily have prevented all of the above.

how many tweets would it take to convince you?

I don't really accept it as a social economy in which to form opinions - It's used by about 5% of the population, it's moslty a tool for media types - being either the media or people who have something to promote many of which are just people doing normal shit like putting gigs on or maybe doing some community project or selling something - but at large i consider it to be a right wing newspaper in terms of what it actually achieves as a platform. Not that everyone there is a one of the baddies - but it promotes argument and elevates things constantly which are not representative of people in real life. A current example is Enoch Burke trending daily, while simultaneously essentially never tweeting. The arena in which his views become national information is user generated and we end up in his game being asked to either self validate by rejecting him or self validate with 'maybe the kid has a point'. Same with KH as you said above. Largely my interaction with it now is to watch it like I watch sport. I highly recommend logging out of twitter and browsing it like you would a normal website, you get a much better idea of whats trending than when you have a follower list plugged into their software.

apart from thumped I would have never heard ANYTHING about the Kellie Harrington's post on the dead girl last year or the radio interview the other night (haven't listened to it).

I hear people saying ignorant / very badly thought out or bigoted things every day. Liveline is synonymous with these folks for decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back