What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (5 Viewers)

Breaking the bank? For the hurling semis tickets for the stands are €50, €35 for terraces and a tenner for under 16s. I know I'm middle class as fuck, but ...
Nah, people just say this shit to shield themselves from criticism on Twitter.
You're not a chancer parking where you like cos you don't give a fuck, you're a decent sort just eking out the last available pleasure left to you now that the cost of living increases has reduced your life to penury.

Like all those queues up at the airport, everyone saying it was people on their very first holiday since before Covid
I'm sure for some it was. But not everyone.
Who's gonna pity some head dossing over to Berlin for a city break for a tenner?
But if you're an ordinary joe looking out for his mental health after years of lockdown, well that's another story.

Everyone's an underdog. We are all versed in the language of victimhood and it's easy to tap into.
We have stolen it from the real victims, who it turns out were the real victims all along.

The Gaa should be running park and rides from the local clubs anyways. Save the massive traffic jams that the dub locals have to deal with in the finals seasons.

That's a good idea. Circumstances meant I was leaving fairview around 5:30 yesterday and it was not an enjoyable trip home. I passed by Whitehall colmcille's ground on the way out and there would have been a brilliant spot.

On the adequate parking thing, I won't be telling them where it is but there is loads of free legal parking in the vicinity of the stadium on match days. Closer to the ground than Grace Park Road is.

it's a simple follow my leader attitude; if someone else does it, so can i. you see it on the new cycle lanes on griffith avenue; there's hatching between the cycle lane and parking spaces which is designed as a door zone between the cycle lane and the cars. but you see clusters of cars parked where someone has decided to park their car over the hatching, and once one person does it, everyone else follows.

My parents live near a big GAA pitch down in Tullamore and I can confirm that they’re obnoxious pains in the fucking hole when it comes to parking down there too
I feel their pain but at least the crowds are smaller down there. Its funny that locals are inconvenienced, and their complaints are genuine and I sympathise, but the commerce people in regional towns would kill to get a major game played in their ground. The politics that does go on between the likes of Tullamore, Portlaoise, Kilkenny, and further afield to convince the authorities to play a game in their town, due to the money it brings in, would surprise you, maybe.

Tullamore is one of my favourite places to go to a game as its easy to just park out the road towards the motorway, and get a quick exit afterwards.

curious about the logic behind this. Is this because everyone who goes to a game is a member of a gaa club?

No not a membership thing, more if you are for example buying a ticket in Donegal to see Donegal play in croke*, you could tick a box on the website to opt for park and ride then just drive to the car park of the local GAA and get the bus from there, no need to even use the Dublin club spaces for it. Galway and Derry will be back in two weeks, there are 3 clubs in Galway with car parks near me all within a shout of the motorway. Keep all the traffic in it's origin county. Obviously club level are running buses, but for the fairweathers they (I) don't really have any club contact to be on some whatsapp for a bus.

*back when that used to happen

No not a membership thing, more if you are for example buying a ticket in Donegal to see Donegal play in croke*, you could tick a box on the website to opt for park and ride then just drive to the car park of the local GAA and get the bus from there, no need to even use the Dublin club spaces for it. Galway and Derry will be back in two weeks, there are 3 clubs in Galway with car parks near me all within a shout of the motorway. Keep all the traffic in it's origin county. Obviously club level are running buses, but for the fairweathers they (I) don't really have any club contact to be on some whatsapp for a bus.

*back when that used to happen
Fair enough. I wouldn't limit it to just clubs. The Red Cow park and ride has been very popular for matches in Croker but that clearly doesn't suit a lot of counties, such as Derry and Galway.

I don't think parking or traffic will ever be a driver for this. If fuel costs and general cost of living meant people stopped going to games, thats what could possibly get something done about it.

The GAA are lazy fucks, and there's a complete disconnect between the GAA and the local club. They are the same in name only. One a big corporation, the other a community organisation. Just so long as the onus isn't on the clubs to organise the buses, then go for it I say.

and given the comment about cost of living crisis - a bus with 60 or 80 passengers would be cheaper than say 25 or 30 cars driving to dublin, you'd think. probably would be the guts of €40 or €50 in fuel in each car.

I feel their pain but at least the crowds are smaller down there. Its funny that locals are inconvenienced, and their complaints are genuine and I sympathise, but the commerce people in regional towns would kill to get a major game played in their ground. The politics that does go on between the likes of Tullamore, Portlaoise, Kilkenny, and further afield to convince the authorities to play a game in their town, due to the money it brings in, would surprise you, maybe.

Tullamore is one of my favourite places to go to a game as its easy to just park out the road towards the motorway, and get a quick exit afterwards.

Wasn't there that Newbridge or nowwhere thing a few years ago when the GAA tried to put Kildare vs. Mayo in Croker when Kildare were absolutely within their rights expecting a home fixture but the GAA made it as hard as possible to happen?

Granted that was more about Kildare trying to get a home advantage but the local businesses would have also been delighted to have that match on their doorstep.

Wasn't there that Newbridge or nowwhere thing a few years ago when the GAA tried to put Kildare vs. Mayo in Croker when Kildare were absolutely within their rights expecting a home fixture but the GAA made it as hard as possible to happen?

Granted that was more about Kildare trying to get a home advantage but the local businesses would have also been delighted to have that match on their doorstep.
that was played in Newbridge in the end, and Kildare won the game, and the venue probably swung it.

I guess whats seldom is wonderful. Croke Park take the piss. I think the locals would generally be fine if it was only matchday that they were inconvenienced, but now they host shit gig after shit gig and the locals have to put up with fucking gareth brooks and ted sheeran fans on top of everything else.

that was played in Newbridge in the end, and Kildare won the game, and the venue probably swung it.

I guess whats seldom is wonderful. Croke Park take the piss. I think the locals would generally be fine if it was only matchday that they were inconvenienced, but now they host shit gig after shit gig and the locals have to put up with fucking gareth brooks and ted sheeran fans on top of everything else.

I suppose if you live in the vicinity you have to suck it up a bit with regard to the matches.

The championships ending in July from now on is probably something for the locals to be happy about as it means that their weekends in August are fairly quiet.

But yeah, the number of concerts there are very much taking the piss.

I suppose if you live in the vicinity you have to suck it up a bit with regard to the matches.

The championships ending in July from now on is probably something for the locals to be happy about as it means that their weekends in August are fairly quiet.

But yeah, the number of concerts there are very much taking the piss.
at least the Croke Park residents have a chance of getting freebies

I doubt theres anything like that for regional grounds.

at least the Croke Park residents have a chance of getting freebies

I doubt theres anything like that for regional grounds.

Not that there's anything we'd want to go to but herself lives just too far away to be in with a shout for those, and I'd say she's very close (Marino/south Fairview near Gaffney's close)

I think a friend of hers did win them for Ed Sheeran (first price one pair, second prize two pairs wha?)

Even better, just take the train

Lets see.

car:
My gaff <--> O'Connor Park, Tullamore, approximately 1 hour 15 mins to be sitting in the stand

train:
My gaff --> Bus, 10 minute walk plus up to 10 minute wait = 20 minutes
Bus --> Town at the weekend = 35 mins
Town --> Train Station = 25 mins (walking)
Train Station --> Train = not a fucking clue
Train --> Tullamore maybe 1 hour?
Tullamore Train Station --> O'Connor Park. Looks about a 15 minute walk

Thats the guts of 2/3 hours to get a train one way. Vs 2.5 hours return in the car. So no.

Even better, just take the train

I got the train out of galway after a match once by coincidence. By complete luck i was accidentally wearing roscommon colours and they'd just won the game - so a bunch of tipsy lads decided i was one of them and helped suspend my bike in mid air for the two stops while we all crammed into the hallway bit of the train.

Thats the guts of 2/3 hours to get a train one way. Vs 2.5 hours return in the car. So no.

I can drive to belfast with good conditions in around 4 hours, when i do it on the train it takes close to 6 with luas transfers

If i drive at best i'll hear a new album or something.

If I take the train i'll usually get four hours composition / mixing / mastering done.

Car time is dead time mostly.

I can drive to belfast with good conditions in around 4 hours, when i do it on the train it takes close to 6 with luas transfers

If i drive at best i'll hear a new album or something.

If I take the train i'll usually get four hours composition / mixing / mastering done.

Car time is dead time mostly.
yeah, I enjoy driving when its on open roads. I guess its the value you'd place in those 2 additional hours, but if you can be productive regardless, then I can see why you'd choose it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back