What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (4 Viewers)

Wait, what? Every single one of them has happened to me at some point in work. They're not malicious in intent necessarily (coming from Americans anyway) but yeah they happen, and I live in Ireland!

a guy i was in college with, brendan, had been on a J1 and working on a production line in the states somewhere. he used to get slagged by a colombian lad he worked with - 'hey brendan, when are you going to get me that semtex and AK47s you promised?' sort of stuff, and brendan would slag back 'as soon as you get me those two keys of powder you promised' etc. etc.
some of his american colleagues protested to him 'you can't assume angelo is a drug dealer because he's colombian' and brendan told them it was fine, just good humour between them.
anyway, brendan ended up being questioned for a couple of hours in a cop shop cos it turned out angelo *was* running cocaine, and brendan had been heard openly asking for supply.

(i fully expect to hear this is a hoary old chestnut)

In this country, the vast majority of malicious racism I've received* has come from Irish people.

Brits don't like to slag off the IRA, they respect the IRA because respecting them helps to protect their fragile ego's. They faced down the best terrorist organisation in the world, it certainly wasn't that they were humiliated for decades by a bunch of wooly jumpered hippies.

I was at a book reading with Joseph O'Conner years ago and some literary luvvie asked him something about Anglo-Irish relations generally. Now Joseph was trying to flog books at the time, but he said something like "the great untold secret about the English and the Irish is that actually we all get along quite well together".

*as in stuff where the intent was explicity to upset me rather than just ignorance or "banter".

Anyway, Grian is some yoke. He knows his market, I'll give him that.

Shir there was like at least two people on thumped trying to get a rise out of me for being from donegal last week. Workplace low tier casual slagging and flirting is all part of life in the trenches.

I kinda find it hard to swallow a band that trade on putting on voices and approprating a bit of inner city all of a sudden being the victims of stereotypes mid album launch campaign. time to cancel @ann post again i guess.

I don't mind them really. Fontaines that is.

Personally I'm just a bit miffed that they stole my schtick that I was cultivating in 2001/2002. I was a country lad buying individual batteries on Francis street and going on Pat Liddy walking tours when they were still in Primary school.

Egg: yes, exactly as in Irish for sun. He was on the radio over here explaining that recently. He's mother is English wouldn't you know. He was doing Synge-ian cultural appropriation before he was even born.

Shir there was like at least two people on thumped trying to get a rise out of me for being from donegal last week. Workplace low tier casual slagging and flirting is all part of life in the trenches.

I kinda find it hard to swallow a band that trade on putting on voices and approprating a bit of inner city all of a sudden being the victims of stereotypes mid album launch campaign. time to cancel @ann post again i guess.
I don't think hating on Fontaines DC online is exactly the path to get cancelled.

I dunno, i'm trying to imagine what it would have been like if they had done the whole Irish Strokes thing in 2002 instead of 2018+, how would we have viewed them? I find them hard to take seriously but people get so mad at them it feels as performative as their Dublin shtick, as if it's still 1993 and we have no choice but to find new music by listening to the radio. I never hear the Fontaines unless I actually put them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back