What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (6 Viewers)

It's weird to see people saying "blacks" isn't it? Do you reckon the sanctions are what caused apartheid to collapse in the end?
I've asked the expert here and apparently since White South Africa was very invested in being seen as coming from Europe, the rejection of them by Europe (or "the west" I guess) really affected them and moved them very significantly towards ending apartheid. The boycott didn't force it economically, although obviously economic sanctions can absolutely demolish a country.

I've asked the expert here and apparently since White South Africa was very invested in being seen as coming from Europe, the rejection of them by Europe (or "the west" I guess) really affected them and moved them very significantly towards ending apartheid. The boycott didn't force it economically, although obviously economic sanctions can absolutely demolish a country.

Maybe if we could get the yanks to tell Israel to stop being dicks that might work so,

Because they're not listening to Europeans anyway.

Maybe if we could get the yanks to tell Israel to stop being dicks that might work so,

Because they're not listening to Europeans anyway.
Well one of the things people say is that for the first time almost ever in the USA, right now you can actually voice an opinion that what Israel does is not ok and not have your entire career ended, forever. I mean, it's still pretty close to that, but not quite.

Yeah, I think once America eventually got behind the anti-apartheid movement long after almost everyone else it couldn't go on anymore, although the outgoing apartheid lads did basically put all the wealth and resources of out reach of the black south Africans before they handed over the reins, if I recall The Shock Doctrine correctly.

Yeah, I think once America eventually got behind the anti-apartheid movement long after almost everyone else it couldn't go on anymore, although the outgoing apartheid lads did basically put all the wealth and resources of out reach of the black south Africans before they handed over the reins, if I recall The Shock Doctrine correctly.
Oh yeah, and the Truth and Reconciliation commission in South Africa is/was massively flawed with still-ongoing repercussions, none of which I fully understand but that much has been made quite clear to me! It's still generally seen as a good thing that it actually happened though.

Well one of the things people say is that for the first time almost ever in the USA, right now you can actually voice an opinion that what Israel does is not ok and not have your entire career ended, forever. I mean, it's still pretty close to that, but not quite.

this is crucial.

I reckon this john oliver bit, from back in May, during the most recent Gaza assault, might end up being seen as one of the moments that accompanied a flipping of the centre of gravity of american liberal opinion — which is one of the things that the Israeli state seem very worried about

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it reminded me a bit of this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Literally it was one of those things where when I was 12 I thought that this was what adults find funny so I guess I better as well.

The West Wing did something similar when I was about 17, "I guess this is what sophisticated television is like, it's not like I know otherwise"

Sally Rooney? who cares.

my favourite Israel not giving a shit moment is continually being the only country to vote with the USA on UN assembly motions condemning sanctions on Cuba
the USA and Israel v 184 countries
gawd knows what the poor Cubans put ever did to Israel. if the Israeli government are thinking
''WE'RE ISRAEL, EVERYBODY HATES US AND WE DON'T CARE!'' then they could hardly do it better than this.

i suspect that her problem was that her pithy putdowns were met with braying laughter in the circles she usually moves in, so she jumped in with both feet when she had the chance to repeat them on telly.

I am calling for an end to @nuke terrorist's hateful anti fiction anti Sally Rooney campaign. Enough is enough.

Bet there will be a few 'thinkpieces' churned out in the irish sunday papers too. My guess is the IT does both flavours.
Very much so. The firmly centre right newspaper who has convinced itself its centre left. I wonder will F O'Toole write about it? Like i was saying earlier, it's the middle Ireland Brendan O Connors and Jennifer O'Connells I use to really gauge public opinion these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back