What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (7 Viewers)

the jennifer o'connell who recently wrote that sustainable transport begins with road building.
I'm not trying to attack her per se, just she's a good gauge of where the most middle of the road thinking in Ireland is right now.

Brendan is the Jeremy Clarkson of Ireland, long may he reign.

I am calling for an end to @nuke terrorist's hateful anti fiction anti Sally Rooney campaign. Enough is enough.

Very much so. The firmly centre right newspaper who has convinced itself its centre left. I wonder will F O'Toole write about it? Like i was saying earlier, it's the middle Ireland Brendan O Connors and Jennifer O'Connells I use to really gauge public opinion these days
Sally Rooney is very middle Ireland IMO. I thought the thumped thread on the Ordinary People TV series was a hoot and about as close to a consensus as thumped ever is ever likely to get.
Anyway I declare a ceasefire on Ms. Rooney's work.

Well i still haven't watched the tv show, and probably never will, but then again, have you have actually read any Sally Rooney books? Obviously anything that is being read by every single person going is gonna be overrated but they're still decent, especially compared to the last 20 years of bestsellers on Ireland.

Well i still haven't watched the tv show, and probably never will, but then again, have you have actually read any Sally Rooney books? Obviously anything that is being read by every single person going is gonna be overrated but they're still decent, especially compared to the last 20 years of bestsellers on Ireland.
This is actually really bugging me now.

When I say something is "middle Ireland" I mean that the people expressing the opinion want nothing to change. They have gotten to where they are through some combination of luck, wealth, talent and hard work, they're there now, they recognize that there are problems in the world but they don't actually want it to change because it would affect them and how they live their fantastic life. Maybe they have pet causes that are personal to them that would tinker around the edges, but fundamentally the system works.

I've read two of the three Sally Rooney books and a common thread is how the world, as it is, is fucking people up, it's fucking up their personal lives, their work lives, their sex lives, their mental health, and how people relate to each other.

No, she's not writing outsider literature about mentally deranged lunatics, she's not writing sci-fi or fantasy describing the world as it could be, she's not writing counter-culture fiction about people who drop out and don't care what happens in the world because they built their own, and she's not openly calling for a revolution in this world as it exists, but to imply that her writing, which describes middle Ireland, is some kind of endorsement of it is just plain wrong.

Polite, apolitical, fiction reviewers can choose not to see that, and just talk about her good sentences and how they liked the emotions in it, and isn't it great how she's writing these love stories like a modern Jane Austen (an arch satirist btw, but you couldn't tell that from the tv adaptations) but that's on them.

No. I haven't read her books.
I think she's written 3 novels. when the first one came out I read a review of it and an interview with Sally Rooney and guess what? I took a major dislike to her.

I never heard much of her again until the TV series came out last year.

I have read reviews and synopses of the three novels I am aware of. they seem to be about relationships and mundane things.

NB - I listened to about 30 Kate Bush songs recently and as a result I am not going to read a book to decide that I definitely don't like it.

Ordinary People TV show:
someone in our house recorded the second episode and I fast forwarded through most of it.
the guy seemed like a nice 'ordinary' lad who talked through all the consent stuff you never saw much until recently, when they were devirginizing each other. Your woman I didn't find anyway likeable.

apart from that I saw a few bits of other episodes:
I was waiting for the 10 pm news to come on one night on BBC when I caught the last 10 seconds of an episode where she is looking out at the sea and a mellow cover version of Love Will Tear Us Apart is playing. This kind of pseudo profound cliche always makes me very annoyed.

also the fact characters are angling for creative careers is another cliche.
lots of people reading this are very creative and nearly all do something 'non-creative' to make a living.

some books written in Ireland are great. if I had never heard of Flann O'Brien I be stunned he ever existed.

I'll tell you what - if I ever see one of Rooney's books at a friends I'll give it a flick through.
but I am not going to give someone the time I gave Kate Bush again.

I've never had a girl/boyfriend, went to college, don't drink or take drugs, almost never went out when I was the OP characters age and advocated anarchist revolution when I was in my late teens/early 20's.
I still think this was good decision making.
so I admit I am about 180 degrees from Sally Rooney's target market.
I found the characters in Rooney's world fairly apathetic unless you can tell me otherwise.

rs can choose not to see that, and just talk about her good sentences and how they liked the emotions in it, and isn't it great how she's writing these love stories like a modern Jane Austen (an arch satirist btw, but you couldn't tell that from the tv adaptations) but that's on them.

I listened to P&P a couple of months ago, and my reaction to ti genuinely was "This is Normal People without the riding*"

Presumably Lydia and yer man who's name I forgot did some riding, but it was never explicitly said.

edit: I started to write something about O'Conoor thereand lost my meaningless train of thought, deleted that part now.

Last edited:
No. I haven't read her books.
I think she's written 3 novels. when the first one came out I read a review of it and an interview with Sally Rooney and guess what? I took a major dislike to her.

I never heard much of her again until the TV series came out last year.

I have read reviews and synopses of the three novels I am aware of. they seem to be about relationships and mundane things.

NB - I listened to about 30 Kate Bush songs recently and as a result I am not going to read a book to decide that I definitely don't like it.

Ordinary People TV show:
someone in our house recorded the second episode and I fast forwarded through most of it.
the guy seemed like a nice 'ordinary' lad who talked through all the consent stuff you never saw much until recently, when they were devirginizing each other. Your woman I didn't find anyway likeable.

apart from that I saw a few bits of other episodes:
I was waiting for the 10 pm news to come on one night on BBC when I caught the last 10 seconds of an episode where she is looking out at the sea and a mellow cover version of Love Will Tear Us Apart is playing. This kind of pseudo profound cliche always makes me very annoyed.

also the fact characters are angling for creative careers is another cliche.
lots of people reading this are very creative and nearly all do something 'non-creative' to make a living.

some books written in Ireland are great. if I had never heard of Flann O'Brien I be stunned he ever existed.

I'll tell you what - if I ever see one of Rooney's books at a friends I'll give it a flick through.
but I am not going to give someone the time I gave Kate Bush again.

I've never had a girl/boyfriend, went to college, don't drink or take drugs, almost never went out when I was the OP characters age and advocated anarchist revolution when I was in my late teens/early 20's.
I still think this was good decision making.
so I admit I am about 180 degrees from Sally Rooney's target market.
I found the characters in Rooney's world fairly apathetic unless you can tell me otherwise.
I'm not saying you have to read her stuff at all! But you're expressing some serious opinions on them all the same so i'm gonna challenge you.

And her characters are fairly apathetic, yes, what's your point? It's not a memoir or a policy document for how to live your life. If anything her books endorse your way of living, they're damning of university-educated "creatives" going around getting messed up, loving the sounds of their own voices, and looking for endorsement from the establishment just so they can feel important, and ultimately achieving nothing.

I haven't watched the tv show, maybe some day I will.

I'm not saying you have to read her stuff at all! But you're expressing some serious opinions on them all the same so i'm gonna challenge you.

And her characters are fairly apathetic, yes, what's your point? It's not a memoir or a policy document for how to live your life. If anything her books endorse your way of living, they're damning of university-educated "creatives" going around getting messed up, loving the sounds of their own voices, and looking for endorsement from the establishment just so they can feel important, and ultimately achieving nothing.

I haven't watched the tv show, maybe some day I will.

I can't see I have anything major in common with Sally Rooney, like.
even if my interpretation of her books is wrong, university bores aren't worth writing about in the first place.
the subject matter of her books isn't of any interest to me as I said.

Sally Rooney's chosen career is also largely about getting validation.
and particularly from people I don't care for e.g. publishers, RTE, Irish Times, Colm Toibin types.
sadly once you go into that world that's your lot.

"Frances, is your objective a two-state solution with the two sides living peacefully or is it the destruction of the state of Israel?". She didn't answer that stupid question but i think she should have.

The fucking condescending tone of Shatter was horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back