What television series are you currently making your way through? (7 Viewers)

he'd want to be to be able to follow that. The story was all over the place but I'm guessing I'd have known exactly what was happening had I followed it all along.

Well, I didn't see the one last night, but all of the episodes so far have been standalone for the most part.

Well, I didn't see the one last night, but all of the episodes so far have been standalone for the most part.
hmmm, well let me know if/when you see last nights episode. Maybe my brain wasn't fully tuned in but there was a lot of, what seemed like, flashback stuff and characters that (I presumed) one would have been familiar with from previous episodes.

I'll go watch seasons 1 at 2 at some stage and maybe it'll make more sense then.

Or not.

I've seen all the episodes of Sherlock and like the show, but thinking back on the Empty Hearse episode it seemed like the entire faking his own death was purely for John's sake and with the subsequent clarification of it and the fact the snipers were covered, I don't really get it and am a little confused.

There's this article in the independent that seems relevant:
Doctor Who to Sherlock: TV franchises now have such devoted followings that casual viewers are alienated - Comment - Voices - The Independent

Self contained episodes and season long story arcs can and do work, I even think previous Sherlock seasons are an example of that, but perhaps the recent episode a little less so.

I think the journos and fans are over-thinking things. It's just bloody telly. I've seen every episode of Sherlock and it's nothing more than bloody good fun, sometimes tense, sometimes hilarious. It's not The Wire, or Breaking Bad and it doesn't belong to that realm where the writer(s) might be interviewed by Charlie Brooker for an hour at a literary festival.

I've seen all the episodes of Sherlock and like the show, but thinking back on the Empty Hearse episode it seemed like the entire faking his own death was purely for John's sake and with the subsequent clarification of it and the fact the snipers were covered, I don't really get it and am a little confused.

There's this article in the independent that seems relevant:
Doctor Who to Sherlock: TV franchises now have such devoted followings that casual viewers are alienated - Comment - Voices - The Independent

Self contained episodes and season long story arcs can and do work, I even think previous Sherlock seasons are an example of that, but perhaps the recent episode a little less so.

In regards pandering to fans I think the Harry Potter films were the worst for that. With some minor exceptions they were little more than illustrations of the novels; too terrified to cut, add or combine characters or alter the plot for fear of the fans whining, even if would make a better film.

here's the almost same article in the guardian

Sherlock and Doctor Who: beware of fans influencing the TV they love | Television & radio | theguardian.com

I think the journos and fans are over-thinking things. It's just bloody telly. I've seen every episode of Sherlock and it's nothing more than bloody good fun, sometimes tense, sometimes hilarious. It's not The Wire, or Breaking Bad and it doesn't belong to that realm where the writer(s) might be interviewed by Charlie Brooker for an hour at a literary festival.

Bit of an insult to the literary source text then isn't it? I don't really think it should be considered any lesser than the likes of Breaking Bad, most of it is certainly no less plausible than the nonsense that happened in that.

I thought it was decent

Watched the last series and enjoyed it. It's pretty fucking grim though.

Sherlock was......weird last night. It all came together in the end but some of the scenes you had to wonder if it was still the same show. Here's hoping for next week to pull it out of the bag.

I completely forgot to watch Sherlock last night. The Empty Hearse was fairly all over the place, but it wasn't boring at least. I'm currently making my way through The Fall and Brooklyn Nine Nine, both cop shows but have little else in common and they're both great.

I've been watching a thing called Alpha House, produced by amazon starring John Goodman and that guy who was the good editor in The Wire. The guy who does Doonesbury is involved and the show is centred around a bunch of Republican Congressmen. It's quite funny and for the most part it's gentle enough ribbing of their politics, in fact it's more about politicians than making fun of US conservative politics, except for one episode where the biases of the producers really came through and that was the weakest one so far.

On a related note, looking forward to House Of Cards S2 starting next month.

Thinking of rewatching Deadwood, The Shield or Carnivale. Started The Americans and Masters of Sex but neither of them grabbed me. Just rewatched The Sopranos recently and still think it's top dog.

I completely forgot to watch Sherlock last night. The Empty Hearse was fairly all over the place, but it wasn't boring at least. I'm currently making my way through The Fall and Brooklyn Nine Nine, both cop shows but have little else in common and they're both great.

Only watched The Fall recently meself. Was VG. New series on the way, isn't there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back