What television series are you currently making your way through? (11 Viewers)

Doesn't compare well to Tencent?
I don't know anything about the source material but I'm enjoying it

Seems like they coulda got more epsidoes out of it. We could have handled more Jonathon Pryce, I'm thinking. Not too many scenes on the ship. The Panama scene was gangbusters though.

General question. One I keep asking, and I'm fascinated with.
So the book was all China, but for this adapation they shifted almost all the action out of China.
And they picked England. This is another sci-fi adaptation where most everyone is speaking RP and associated accents. I know some of y'all can't see this cos you watch so much English stuff anyways. But why is it always English accents?
This is NOT a oh-these-bloody-Brits-are-everywhere thing
I really want to understand the creative choice here every time we get a sci-fi show.

And I love Liam Cunningham in this.
The book was pretty much all china.

My guess is they set it in England because there were lots of Game of Thrones actors out of work, who they could get to be in it on the cheap.

The book was pretty much all china.

My guess is they set it in England because there were lots of Game of Thrones actors out of work, who they could get to be in it on the cheap.
I dislike this answer because it's not a super hot take
But it's also right in front of our faces and probably the most plausible in this case

Three Body

it's a bit stilted but definitely closer to the book than the Netflix version. If i didn't know what was going on I'd have no clue what's going on.

Last edited:
Doesn't compare well to Tencent?
I don't know anything about the source material but I'm enjoying it

Seems like they coulda got more epsidoes out of it. We could have handled more Jonathon Pryce, I'm thinking. Not too many scenes on the ship. The Panama scene was gangbusters though.

General question. One I keep asking, and I'm fascinated with.
So the book was all China, but for this adapation they shifted almost all the action out of China.
And they picked England. This is another sci-fi adaptation where most everyone is speaking RP and associated accents. I know some of y'all can't see this cos you watch so much English stuff anyways. But why is it always English accents?
This is NOT a oh-these-bloody-Brits-are-everywhere thing
I really want to understand the creative choice here every time we get a sci-fi show.

And I love Liam Cunningham in this.
Yeah- the fact that the Brits are leading the world effort doesn’t ring particularly true

Never heard of Three-Body Problem until this morning.
Read bio of Lou Cixin and synopses of book and 30 episode Chinese version.
It's only in episode 24 of Chinese version that the origin of the situation from decades earlier is told during interrogation of the key character.

The Panama canal part was one of scenes I looked up. I only saw brief clips of how the Chinese production (episode 29) did it in a review but their version looked better than Netflix job (episode 5).
Well worth a watch of either.

Looked at two trailers of the Chinese version it gave a strong idea what was involved without any major spoilers

A Netflix trailer was hopeless:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unless ya read the books this trailer wouldn't entice me.

I rarely watch TV drama so giving this a couple of hours was a lot of my time.

As far as UK actors standard pronunciation goes, yeah I agree.
People in Shakespeare's time didn't speak like that. They probably sounded more like West Country accent.
Ireland in its own way is pretty bad at this too.
Not many working class Dubs in media, standard boggers don't read the news either!

Like after the Panama episode, you're thinking "oh ,man his show can do anything!"
Then it just goes off and does a bunch of character episodes and setting up Season 2
I’m talking about the Chinese one. Netflix is always gonna do Netflix, but in this case the character stuff is necessary.

As far as UK actors standard pronunciation goes, yeah I agree.
People in Shakespeare's time didn't speak like that. They probably sounded more like West Country accent.
Ireland in its own way is pretty bad at this too.
Not many working class Dubs in media, standard boggers don't read the news either!
I think with the English accents that it's easier for a show like Foundation to establish class differences by using RP and various working class accents, than it would be with American accents. For some reason, the Brooklyn accent doesn't work in space, but a light cockney one does.
Star Wars had it both ways, English accents for the evil ones (I mean, what else?) and American for the good guys.

I think 3-Body Problem already had decided to place the action in England before it cast teh show.
The only viable alternative is the USA; like the producers could have had all this action happen at MIT or Stanford, Boston or San Francisco.
But I don't think people in ROTW are as well-disposed to America as much as they were in George Lucas's heyday.
Having the US military swan into Panama to brutally fuck up some shit, I think it hits different globally than having the Brits do it.
They smooth it out even further by having no white male Brits doing the work. Zero involvement from stiff-upper-lip types.

Again, sorry for boring anyone that read this, I just think about accents a lot.

I think with the English accents that it's easier for a show like Foundation to establish class differences by using RP and various working class accents, than it would be with American accents. For some reason, the Brooklyn accent doesn't work in space, but a light cockney one does.
Star Wars had it both ways, English accents for the evil ones (I mean, what else?) and American for the good guys.

I think 3-Body Problem already had decided to place the action in England before it cast teh show.
The only viable alternative is the USA; like the producers could have had all this action happen at MIT or Stanford, Boston or San Francisco.
But I don't think people in ROTW are as well-disposed to America as much as they were in George Lucas's heyday.
Having the US military swan into Panama to brutally fuck up some shit, I think it hits different globally than having the Brits do it.
They smooth it out even further by having no white male Brits doing the work. Zero involvement from stiff-upper-lip types.

Again, sorry for boring anyone that read this, I just think about accents a lot.

In US film very often guys with NY, New Jersey, Italian American etc. accents are used to denote dodgy geezers, wheeler dealers and criminals
"Yes boss", "You dirty rat" and Joe Pesci in Home Alone" etc.
No other part of US other than The NE of the country seems to get this.

Another thing is the Panama Canal has an awful American colonial history until President Trujillo finally gained control of the Panama in 1979 by concluding a treaty with Carter.
Then in 1989 the USA invaded Panama and abducted President Noriega and brought him to the US to stand trial.
So morally it's OK to send US presidents to The Hague

In US film very often guys with NY, New Jersey, Italian American etc. accents are used to denote dodgy geezers, wheeler dealers and criminals
"Yes boss", "You dirty rat" and Joe Pesci in Home Alone" etc.
No other part of US other than The NE of the country seems to get this.
Yeah

There's the obvious thing that English accents sound posh to an American audience so Foundation sounds like a prestige show

I wish there was more writing on this.

I don't normally like "sci-fi"... I know there is a huge range. Himself read the book so we watched the Netflix one. I really enjoyed it because it was like a puzzle. I like puzzles. Plus I was right about a lot of things well before it was exposed, so that always delights me.

I don't normally like "sci-fi"... I know there is a huge range. Himself read the book so we watched the Netflix one. I really enjoyed it because it was like a puzzle. I like puzzles. Plus I was right about a lot of things well before it was exposed, so that always delights me.

IT WAS THE ALIENS ALL ALONG

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back