What records did you listen to today? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter tim
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 292K
  • Watchers 25
didnt listen to any records today. heard some awful r n b out of someones car earlier though.

Been listening to the b side of the Time Machine 7' on repeat today. 20c at a car boot sale,an old NI punk/power pop band on Rip Off records. The a side is awful,but the b side is so good. Definately more power pop than punk though.

B000000M0N.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

slipitin.jpg

latterman-turn_up_the_punk_well_be_singing.jpg

Terveet Kadet - 7inch bootleg
Scientists - Human jukebox lp
Knifed/Limp Wrist - split 7"
Brian eno - taking tiger mountian (by strategy)
Valentina Ponomarova - russian title from the 80's
Boards of canada - Music has the right to children
Underworld - Second toughest of the infants
The Buchannan Sound Experiment
Paranoia you can dance to - Best of Flipside Vinyl Fanzine vol 1/2 comp lp (Scream, Necros, Dickies, Misfits, Naked Raygun etc..)
Riisteyt - 7"(can't remember title - kickass..

nlgbbbblth said:
Quality any good?
I remember some dudes in my area went up to this.

yeah, not bad at all. was recorded for radio, not sure if it was RTE or local radio but. recorded only off the desk by the sounds of it, crowd are practically inaudible between songs, and its a bit quiet but everything is in its proper place.

It's a great set actually. what did the 'dudes' say about it, do you know?

this morning before leaving the house:
sleeparchive - research ep
kode 9 - backward/9 samurai

now:
love - forever changes ... hope the benefit gig goes well (not gonna make it up myself)

Be the Hokey said:
yeah, not bad at all. was recorded for radio, not sure if it was RTE or local radio but. recorded only off the desk by the sounds of it, crowd are practically inaudible between songs, and its a bit quiet but everything is in its proper place.

It's a great set actually. what did the 'dudes' say about it, do you know?

One of them had been an original Joy Division fan since 1979 and said he was awestruck. The other two would have been more casual fans as far as I remember but enjoyed it. I have a vague memory of one of them saying that the crowd was somewhat rough. They would have been 17 or 18 at the time. Blue Monday had just come out but that was the only New Order song I knew then.

Yeah, i couldn't believe New Order played Kilkenny in 83. Nobody from there ever mentioned it to me before.
I know the Rose Hill, now Hotel Kilkenny. Would have been quite the dodgy nightclub in those days. It's a big venue too. I'd say it would have held 1500-2000.
They played Blue Monday. It sounds deadly on the recording.
If you 'wishlist' this on Soulseek, the gig is easy enough to come by.

Be the Hokey said:
Yeah, i couldn't believe New Order played Kilkenny in 83. Nobody from there ever mentioned it to me before.
I know the Rose Hill, now Hotel Kilkenny. Would have been quite the dodgy nightclub in those days. It's a big venue too. I'd say it would have held 1500-2000.
They played Blue Monday. It sounds deadly on the recording.
If you 'wishlist' this on Soulseek, the gig is easy enough to come by.

I put on a indie night in Hotel Kilkenny in June 1992. Ended up owing them money which they graciously waived when I told them I was 'fucked for cash'.

Rimbaud said:
Loks pretty cool.Who're they?Roots reggae?

it's a compilation.

Mento is traditional Jamaican Folk Music, it came about before reggae, dancehall or ska. It's played on simple folk instruments, usually a guitar, a banjo or fiddle, hand drums or shakers and a rumba box (a very large mbira or thumb piano in the low bass register). The songs are traditionally chock-full of bawdy double entendres and poorly veiled sexual humor, which makes them rowdy and fun. Some people refer to this music as Jamaican Calypso, but its different in rhythm, instrumentation and lyrical content than Trinidadian Calypso.

This collection is a wonderful mix of some of the mento greats of yesteryear... and realistically, there aren't really any mento greats of today, The Jolly Boys and The Overtakers are about all that there is left. The songs included here are well-chosen and present a really nice picture of the mento sound, feel and, very importantly, the humor of this almost-lost genre of folk music. Of particular note are the Lord Fly cuts, Lord Fly was perhaps the only mento artist to become "famous" and his name might actually ring a bell to early reggae and ska fans.

Uriah Heep-very eavy,very umble lp
Trouble-trouble lp
Hjerte Stop demo tape
Witch-witch lp
Pissed Happy Children-gravel truck 7"
Melvins-Houdini live cd

was away all weekend and my mate brought the wrong adaptor for his ipod speakers, so we had to listen to the cds he had in his car...

boards of canada - trans canda express (i think) - it's not bad
herbert - scales - meh
clap your hands say yeah - this is all right - a couple of great tunes
leonard cohen - the essential... - not music to listen too with a couple of yokes in ya - some good songs, but loads of shite ones
velvet underground - the best off - they kept skipping the ones i really like

sadly, the cd player couldn't play mp3s so we couldn't listen to soft cell.

mozart: requiem
stooges: funhouse
nurse with wound: salt marie celeste
bong ra: old skool armageddon, conquering lion, blood + fire, renegade bubblin, bikini bandits kill kill kill
bong ra + sickboy: servants of the apocalyptic goat rave
abba
boney m
venetian snares vs bong ra: 4 adaptations of rossz csillag...
black light district: a thousant lights in a darkened room
the monks: black monk time
the sleeping moustache
sly and robbie (+ various toasters): tabla riddim

nEiLo said:
leonard cohen - the essential... - not music to listen too with a couple of yokes in ya - some good songs, but loads of shite ones

its all gold until he gets that fucking synthesiser and his voice drops about a million octaves

Neil Young - Living With War
- Jesus, great music but talk about feeling like you're being repeatedly hit on the head with a lyrical hammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back