What movie did you watch last night? (5 Viewers)

snakybus said:
Rent Wild Strawberries by Ingmar Bergman, wonderful film. The Seventh Seal is also good, though the imagery from the film has been rehashed a million times.

Maybe...Seventh Seal and Whispers&Shouts are both amazing.

They have the Herzog/Kinski-box too, that'd be "fun" for the week...

jaakko said:
Today gonna rent some more arthouse-shit from Laser, recommendationZ??

keeping on a Bergman tip
Fanny and Alexander - 5 hours but amazing
Scenes From A Marriage

also
Time Out [about a dude who can't face up to telling people he's lost his job so elaborate lies etc]
Claire's Knee [excellent Rohmer story]
Funny Games [brutish]
Chungking Express

spiritualtramp said:
Look out for a spanish film called the Red Squirrel.

i'll keep that in mind. should rent Bad Education too. saw it once and it has to be the best movie made in ages. the way the plots twists around and makes sense without any fight club-style easy gimmicks

Does anyone else here constantly get the glazed look treatment from co-workers when you start talking about a film that has subtitles?

Them: ‘Subtitles? I can’t watch those. Oh no, I don’t like subtitles’

Me: ‘Do you have ANY idea why films have subtitles?’

Them: [blankly / becoming disinterested] ‘No’

Me: ‘Surprising as it may seem but English ISN’T every country’s first language’

pricks

i watched an amazing film last night called SUndown, which my girlf bought for like 2 euros

vampire film starring Bruce Campbell and Bobby from Twin Peaks, absolute hilarity

deadly stop-motion bats as well

if i ever make a movie im going to fill it with stop motion monsters, a la sinbad

in fact im going to start a thread about it.. just watch me

nlgbbbblth said:
Does anyone else here constantly get the glazed look treatment from co-workers when you start talking about a film that has subtitles?

Me: ‘Surprising as it may seem but English ISN’T every country’s first language’

pricks

Wathched Le Choirist last night. What a darling little film. My sister knocked by after and we had that exact same conversation. Daft Bint.

started my own moviefestival, being bitter about them in Helsinki having a fantastic festival following week...

yesterday i saw
Slacker (Linklater)
Julien Donkey-boy (Korine)
A Zed and Two Noughts (Greenaway)

Slacker was good, Donkey-boy was nearly good, but pretty bad, Zed & Noughts was one of the best ever. Watch that movie! A bit like Wes Anderson movies but way better. Haven't yet seen other movies by him but i know i should see at least the Cook, Lover & whatever the name of that one is. Gonna rent that and some more...

jaakko said:
started my own moviefestival, being bitter about them in Helsinki having a fantastic festival following week...

yesterday i saw
Slacker (Linklater)
Julien Donkey-boy (Korine)
A Zed and Two Noughts (Greenaway)

Slacker was good, Donkey-boy was nearly good, but pretty bad, Zed & Noughts was one of the best ever. Watch that movie! A bit like Wes Anderson movies but way better. Haven't yet seen other movies by him but i know i should see at least the Cook, Lover & whatever the name of that one is. Gonna rent that and some more...
Slacker i really dug when it first came out years ago and i was getting high alla time...wondering how it'll hold up now. probably fairly good, i thought it was excellent. What's "A Zed and Two Noughts" all about?

nlgbbbblth said:

pricks

A lot of people seem to think reading subtitles while watching a movie is some big ordeal, probably because they've never even bothered. I generally don't even notice a movie is subtitled unless I'm without my specs.

Where do people stand when it comes to watching dubbed movies? Apart from old school kung fu flicks, it's the shittest buzz ever, yes?

Lord Damian said:
Slacker i really dug when it first came out years ago and i was getting high alla time...wondering how it'll hold up now. probably fairly good, i thought it was excellent. What's "A Zed and Two Noughts" all about?

Yeah, it could've been excellent if the mid-part would've been shorter or better. Beginning and end were really great.

A Zed and Two Noughts - it's about these zoologist twins whose wives die in a car crash with a swan. The survivor of the accident loses her unborn baby and a leg. She gets rid of the one remaining leg and gets pregnant. Brothers are very interested in decaying animals and that sort of stuff. Dacaying...symmetry...lot's of animals and desperation and surgery. Not at all shocking, amazing visually and the storytelling is really something else. Surprising and really really funny, not difficult at all, though there are loads of metaphors going all the time

Zeelander said:
Where do people stand when it comes to watching dubbed movies? Apart from old school kung fu flicks, it's the shittest buzz ever, yes?

Shit buzz --- except with anime. When yv been weaned on 'Battle of the planets' it just can't really be a problem.

i hate watching dubbed movies...

the thing is, it would be slightly better if they got people who could actually act to do the voice overs, but they always get these brain dead morons who sound bored to the point of suicide...

dont anyone buy the Prism leisure DVD of Hard Boiled... the subtitles are so fucked up that you have to watch it dubbed

Watched three more movies from Educational Archives - More Sex And Drugs.

Parent To Child About Sex - fairly straight mid 60s piece some 30 mins long about sex education and how to tackle it. Used a variety of adults and children answering/asking questions. Fairly po-faced in parts but surprisingly non-judgmental on issues like noctural emissions, masturbation etc

Drug Effects - Three minute animated short. Nothing special.

Sally - from 1979. Deals with a young teenager and her peers. Funny fashions and kinda reminds me of Carrie in parts.

also watched Thriller: A Killer In Every Corner

Mad Professor Patrick Magee and his 'conditioning' of psychopaths. Good stuff.

Psychology students Sylvia, Helga and Tim are invited to the home of the renowned Professor Carnaby for a weekend seminar, but little suspect that they are in fact to be the guinea pigs in a terrifying real life experiment. Carnaby has been researching conditioned behaviour in criminals, and is determined to test his 'cure' on live human subjects. When the three undergraduates arrive at the house, they are tended to by the Professor's servant Boz, who is in reality a deranged psychopathic killer. Held in check only by his conditioning, Boz reverts to his homicidal tendencies at the sound of a bell. Dazzled by their host's charm and reputation, the students remain oblivious to the danger they are in, even after one of them seems to recognise a notorious escaped killer in another of the house staff. Inevitably, two of them quickly vanish and Sylvia must face the terrifying prospect that they were murdered. Investigating more closely, she soon realises that she is at the centre of Carnaby's bizarre and unethical experiments, but even then doesn't suspect the full extent of the danger she is in, or from where it might really stem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back