What movie did you watch last night? (9 Viewers)

Brian Conniffe said:
its well worth checking out. bunuel did some great stuff, very witty... my favorites are "the exterminating angel" and "simon of the desert".

they're probably my Bunuel favourites too.,

Also The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoise, That Obscure Object Of Desire, Tristana, Viridiana, Los Olvidados, El Brute, Belle de Jour...all fine films

The Criterion Collection DVD of Salo sells for serious money on ebay. $250 !

nlgbbbblth said:
Also The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoise, That Obscure Object Of Desire, Tristana, Viridiana, Los Olvidados, El Brute, Belle de Jour...all fine films

aye, all quality.

The Criterion Collection DVD of Salo sells for serious money on ebay. $250 !

i know, though i am getting sent a copy of it as a gift. i have never seen it, but i am quite eager to. sounds remarkable, at the very least.

Brian Conniffe said:
aye, all quality.

i know, though i am getting sent a copy of it as a gift. i have never seen it, but i am quite eager to. sounds remarkable, at the very least.
last time i checked it was going on amazon for about $60

great movie

just watched Thriller: I'm The Girl He Wants To Kill

Office secretary Ann is horrified to find a young neighbour murdered when she returns to her London flat one evening. When the police arrive she realises that she had witnessed what must have been the killer leaving the building just as she was entering, but is unable to make a positive identification. Shortly after, she spots the man working in a shop and runs terrified back to the office, convinced that he has followed her. When her detective boyfriend Mark re-assures her that the killer has in fact been caught, she forgets the incident and remains behind in the empty building to finish off a large batch of work. When she unexpectedly finds the security guard murdered and the front doors locked however, a terrifying nightlong ordeal begins, with her and her would-be killer caught in a deadly game of cat and mouse throughout the building.

watched 'raiders of the lost ark' last night on the back of reading Blockbuster by Tom Shone. great book. screw arthouse: Speilberg and Lucas are the Gods of cinema. this week in my head anyway.

tonight I watched a rather good episode of Miami Vice, 'The Home Invaders'

plus Thriller: Death To Sister Mary

Penny Stacey plays one of the resident nuns in the television soap opera Saints And Sinners, and is flattered to find a young man outside her dressing room one day talking of forming a fan club dedicated to the character Sister Mary. Only too willing to bolster her own career, Penny eagerly assists the peculiar Rook and even gives him her home address. Shortly after however, a number of fatal or near fatal accidents begin to befall the various cast members and the police suspect it may be a viewer harbouring a grudge. Yet despite his oddness, no one suspects the harmless looking Rook, who is in fact living in a dangerous fantasy world where Sister Mary stands at the centre of his obsessions

it pains me to admit to never having heard of a tv show/movie, but whats this Thriller thing you keep mentioning? it sounds like my kinda show.

last night i watched Cannibal Holocaust, uncut region 1 naturally.

20.jpg

ouch!

Alan Remorse said:
it pains me to admit to never having heard of a tv show/movie, but whats this Thriller thing you keep mentioning? it sounds like my kinda show.

Thriller was a British suspense anthology series which was made between 1973 and 1976. Episodes were standalone and 65 mins approx in length. There were 43 in total. I saw some of the repeats on HTV in the early 1980s and they stayed with me ever since. Aside from those repeats it was subsequently forgotten about by the TV schedulers but always had a steady cult following. Bravo showed a few of them in the mid 1990s.

http://www.thriller.shorturl.com/

is an excellent tribute site - check out the deadly episode index at the bottom of the front page.

All 43 episodes plus a one-off story called Who Killed Lamb? were released in a 16 disc box set (the box says 15 which is wrong) last month. I couldn't believe it when I heard it was coming out and ordered it straightaway- cost me for £74.99 from sendit - pricey but worth it when you consider the amount of discs, quality of the episodes etc.

B0009P7VWG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Very lazy night last night, so got in a few movies. Football Factory was an only slightly interesting journey around London with a bunch of well dressed Chelsea yobs, who got their kicks from bashing heads from other firms. It had so many trace elements from Lock Stock..., Trainspotting, Human Traffic etc that you really had the feeling you'd seen it all before. Still on the hooligan side of things, I think I'll hunt out the book. Revisiting childhood favourites like Ghostbusters has been a laugh, but Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure let me down in a way I wouldn't have thought possible - avoid.

Watched Stephen Poliakoff's Caught On A Train earlier. Made for TV back in 1980, it's a wonderful piece of film-making; detailing the events of a train journey from B to A featuring a number of fanciful characters. Peggy Ashcroft plays the part of a grand Austrian dame called Frau Messner who still imagines that she has a troupe of servants around her. She hasn't and Peter (a youthful Michael Kitchen) fills that role with hostility, reluctance and almost submission.

The film concentrates on the relationship between those two while simultaneously introducing a number of peripheral characters:- the cold, austere American girl Lorraine whom Peter fancies but who hates everything about Europe; the irritating know-it-all Preston and a hideous fat man who has a carriage all to himself with a variety of electrical goods. A rather manic youth features sporadically too.

Peter scorns Frau Messner and her demanding ways initially but gradually begins to submit to her iron will. I suppose in many ways he is like her. The ending is surprising and quite moving.

Then after that inevitably came Thriller
In The Steps Of A Dead Man. Possibly the best one yet

When George and Betty Cornfield's only son Tommy is killed in combat, their lives are badly affected and the father falls into a deep depression. Out of the blue however, a soldier named Marty turns up on the doorstep claiming to be Tommy's best friend, and re-assures the two grieving parents about their boy's last moments. Marty is so like Tommy in every way that he quickly becomes like their own son, and is even introduced to Tommy's fiancée Sheila. It soon looks as though marriage is inevitable, but Sheila's friend Grace begins to suspect Marty's motives and realises that he is clearly not who he claims to be. As the soldier ingratiates himself deeper and deeper into the Cornfield's lives, Grace becomes ever more alarmed at the possibility that Marty could be genuinely dangerous. For far from being the late boy's best friend, Marty is in reality a deserter with a far more cunning agenda than anyone could have imagined.

Maria Full of Grace: Good film. Grim in places but really gripping.
War of the Worlds: Decent for Speilberg in that it's dark and the ending isn't too sentimental. I like the way he handled the scene in the farmhouse.

6305461872.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

watched this last night, region 1, unrated

the second movie from frank herlotter, who wrote and directed the Basketcase movies.

this movie is seriously fucked up.. i guess it could be seen as an allegory for drug addiction but goes way beyond the realms of taste... its actually one of the best horror movies i've ever seen, with some amazingly inventive psychedelic imagery and great gore

then i watched this:

B0000DC12T.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

decent second sequel to the amazing Re-Animator, not sure whether i prefer it Bride Of Re-Animator... still though, it has Jeffery Combs (fucking legend) so it's ok in my book

Just finished Thriller: Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are.
Very clever with lots of twists.

American tourist Cathy More wakes up in her English country hotel to find that her travelling companion has vanished mysteriously in the night. The gruff hotel owner denies any knowledge of the girl and insists that only one person had checked in the night before, but the wife views her drinking husband with some suspicion. A police detective is called in and it begins to look as though Cathy may be mentally disturbed when, unexpectedly, traces of the missing girl begin to show up in the hotel. The owner is immediately suspected, but is there in fact some other factor at work here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back