What movie did you watch last night? (7 Viewers)

Well there were two people coming out behind me laughing their heads off and saying it was the worst film they had ever seen. I loved it. Though I can see how some would scoff loudly.
Saw this last night. Wasn't really that gone on it. My mate loved it.

Been catching up on movies while on paternity leave.

Nostalgia
I've only recently seen any Tarkovsky film (Stalker) but I've recorded a bunch of them after Film4 had a season of his movies. This one was marvellous, better than Stalker (which I loved). The slow tracking shots (especially in the cathedral in the middle and at the end) are beautiful, cinema really has lost most of its artistry when you look at something as deliberate and stunning as this.

Whiplash
I was a bit lukewarm on this at the beginning but it completely won me over. The jazz Full Metal Jacket description is bang on and is initially what made me feel like I knew where it was going (and put me off) but the acting totally grabbed me. The young lad and the guy who plays Fletcher were both fantastic. The gratuitous drumming scenes were terrific too.

Eyes Without a Face
This gives top tier Hitchcock a run for its money. Suitably grisly (for its time) and looks great. I don't know how I had never seen this before.

Irish film Handsome Devil. Clumsy attempt at a teenage coming of age film that's been done way better many many times before.
Some people got paid and others got to work on their acting or film making skills. That's about all this was good for. Certainly not great for the audience.

It Comes at Night. I liked this a lot more than I expected to. Id heard it was a boring, pretentious "post horror" movie. It sort of is as but I liked the acting, the setting and the creepy atmosphere. The fact that it was marketed as a straight horror movie is a bit misleading though. Preferred this to The Witch actually

The Limehouse Golem - felt like a BBC historical potboiler given higher production values, quite entertaining though I had a strong inkling of the 'twist' from about 10 minutes in, paced well and never got boring anyway.

The Farthest - this is an extremely good documentary made by an Irish director & production team about the 2 Voyager space probes. There's a pleasing mix between enough scientific and historical detail to give it heft and enough of an arty/emotional presentation to keep the right level of awe and mystery.. deffo recommend checking it out while it's still in cinemas if you have any interest in space/science.

Watched Fire Walk with Me again before finally starting into the new Twin Peaks. Didn't like it any better this time. Wasn't Mark Kermode trying to get this reappraised as one of Lynch's best works? Can't say I agree with that assessment.

Lady Macbeth – holy shit this was amazing

Nocturama – a group of French hipsters commit acts of terrorism in Paris one night. I liked it but it was a bit of an exercise in style over substance.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 – a few decent gags, some ropey CGI, 35 minutes too long – typical Marvel

Death Note – fans of the original Manga have been slating this online. I haven’t read the Manga and thought this was fine. Entertaining but forgot about it as soon as it finished.

Watched Fire Walk with Me again before finally starting into the new Twin Peaks. Didn't like it any better this time. Wasn't Mark Kermode trying to get this reappraised as one of Lynch's best works? Can't say I agree with that assessment.
I don't think it's one of his best (Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway and Inland Empire are all superior for me in terms of this dream logic style; Blue Velvet is a better story-driven film) but I think it's a lot better than it's given credit for.

Fine, I’m going to rank them.

Mulholland Drive
Blue Velvet
Inland Empire
The Elephant Man
The Straight Story
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
Wild at Heart
Fire Walk With Me
Dune

I’d put season 3 of Twin Peaks up there with Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet and Inland Empire but we’re only ranking movies here.

Fine, I’m going to rank them.

Mulholland Drive
Blue Velvet
Inland Empire
The Elephant Man
The Straight Story
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
Wild at Heart
Fire Walk With Me
Dune

I’d put season 3 of Twin Peaks up there with Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet and Inland Empire but we’re only ranking movies here.
I've still never seen Elephant Man or Dune. I bought a BluRay of Elephant Man a few years ago but it remains unwatched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back