What movie did you watch last night? (11 Viewers)

I finally watched Siege at Jadotville. I'm sure some liberties were taken for dramatic purposes, but even still, mad story.

I was surprised that this quote is real: "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey".

I looked up Conor Cruise O'Brien, who comes across as a complete cunt in the film, and as it turns out he kinda was in real life too.

Although I enjoyed The Fall for the most part I'm not convinced about Jamie Dornan's acting ability.

Anyway , a decent yarn, made better because it's a true story.

Passengers. Oh boy. Looks amazing, a good cast, but jeeesus chraaasstt
what the fuck kind of message is that sending about male entitlement and behaviour?

Anyway, could have been a much, much, much better movie, as this guy explains

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Passengers. Oh boy. Looks amazing, a good cast, but jeeesus chraaasstt
what the fuck kind of message is that sending about male entitlement and behaviour?

Anyway, could have been a much, much, much better movie, as this guy explains

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm watching this now

Doctor Strange - total nonsense fun with a couple of fantastic special effects sequences.

Bokeh - ultra low budget kickstartered movie about two Americans on holiday in Iceland who wake up to discover everyone else on earth has vanished. Had a lot of potential but ultimately was very disappointing.

Over the weekend I caught John Carpenter's The Fog in the late showing the Lighthouse. Great, naturally.

Also watched Wild at Heart and MASH. Two movies that I have to say haven't aged well by directors who have created some pretty timeless cinema. Damningly both Palme d'Or winners.

Over the weekend I caught John Carpenter's The Fog in the late showing the Lighthouse. Great, naturally.

Also watched Wild at Heart and MASH. Two movies that I have to say haven't aged well by directors who have created some pretty timeless cinema. Damningly both Palme d'Or winners.
I think Wild at Heart still holds up. Not Lynch's best work by a long shot but I enjoy a rewatch every couple of years

I think Wild at Heart still holds up. Not Lynch's best work by a long shot but I enjoy a rewatch every couple of years
Yeah I hadn't seen it in an absolute age but I remember it being way better. It's got it's moments of course but the script is pretty poor and it just looks so of it's time. It sort of sits in this unhappy middle ground between Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks. Pity that Cannes honoured him for that one when nearly any of his other movies would be more deserving.

Likewise with MASH and Altman.

The thing that annoys me most about Wild at Heart is that Twin Peaks suffered because of it. I reckon he could have steered it better (even with the network forcing the earlier reveal of Laura's killer) rather then let it become an empty vessel for so many episodes. Instead, he went off and did a half-baked idea that for me is on a par with the crappy episodes of Twin Peaks season two.

I still think M*A*S*H is great but Wild at Heart is poor (and this is coming from a big Lynch fan).
Wow, I didn't like it at all. It's not nearly as witty as it thinks it is. Also it's a bit of a mess, it's so episodic it was really better as a TV than a feature film. Perhaps that was innovative at the time but it doesn't really do much for the flow of the movie. Also there are some quite troubling aspects to it for the modern viewer - casual misogyny, Hawkeye convincing his girlfriend to ride the gay out of Jawbreaker, who's miraculously cured after a good lay...

Wow, I didn't like it at all. It's not nearly as witty as it thinks it is. Also it's a bit of a mess, it's so episodic it was really better as a TV than a feature film. Perhaps that was innovative at the time but it doesn't really do much for the flow of the movie. Also there are some quite troubling aspects to it for the modern viewer - casual misogyny, Hawkeye convincing his girlfriend to ride the gay out of Jawbreaker, who's miraculously cured after a good lay...
Hmmmm, it's a while since I've seen it so maybe I need to watch it again. I do totally agree that it works better as a TV series.

I did watch Wild at Heart last year and I found it a tough watch.

Clash: Egyptian drama set in the back of a police van following the coup against Morsi in Cairo a few years back. Good idea. Bit stagy in places but good overall.

The Two Faces of January on film 4. I really like this, even though it stumbles in the final quarter. Really looks pretty. Kirsten Dunst wears a lovely nightie in it.

Four Lions again...i love this film so much.....'Paki rambo', 'rubber dinghy rapids' and '12 bottles of bleach (in IRA voice)'..absobloodylutely

Downloading last night's Amazing Race now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back