What movie did you watch last night? (13 Viewers)

Captain America: Civil War. A lot better than most of the recent ensemble films but still not exactly essential viewing. The wise-cracking semi-meta stuff is getting a bit threadbare at this stage.

Jupiter Ascending

It is not the worst film I've ever seen but it feels like someone inexplicably gave a 9 year old girl $100,000,000 to make a movie.

There were elements of it I liked, some of the Cartoon Network Duneishness of it was pretty great but considering the budget a lot of the CGI looked kinda crap. Much of the film was like that extended sequence in the factory in (I think) Attack Of The Clones, just too unreal to get absorbed into.

The plot etc. didn't make much sense either but I admired the attempt, as half baked as it was, to create a new, original science fantasy universe, rather than relying on tired franchises or a book adaptation.

Jupiter Ascending

It is not the worst film I've ever seen but it feels like someone inexplicably gave a 9 year old girl $100,000,000 to make a movie.

There were elements of it I liked, some of the Cartoon Network Duneishness of it was pretty great but considering the budget a lot of the CGI looked kinda crap. Much of the film was like that extended sequence in the factory in (I think) Attack Of The Clones, just too unreal to get absorbed into.

The plot etc. didn't make much sense either but I admired the attempt, as half baked as it was, to create a new, original science fantasy universe, rather than relying on tired franchises or a book adaptation.
Yeah, it felt like 20 different writers worked on it.

Oh
Actually, I saw Sightseers too and I didn't really think much of it.
Oh "Mint Me" - Sightseers was fucking excellent, very funny movie about killing cunts that you would love to kill in real live. Most excellent film and the two leads were made for each other..loved the ending too..absolutely hillarious. A real cliff hanger lol!!

Arrival. This did not connect with me at all. I was enjoying the sound design and some of the excellent aerial shots, but the whole thing unraveled for me at the end. Every review I have read since, including @hugh's excellent one on here, haven't had the same issue as me though. You might like it.

Nocturnal Animals. Highly polished, beautifully shot meta thriller about a woman who receives a proof copy of a violent crime novel out of the blue from her ex husband. Cue some Mulholland Drive style japes as beautiful a-listers swap roles, murder and fuck each other. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm a sucker for these stylish neo-noirs. Michael Shannon steals every scene he's in.

The Big Short. Film about how the property bubble and bastard bankers fucked everyone. This goes from "I think I know what's going on" to "I'm lost" to "got it" over and over again. Good in an annoying way.

Arrival. This did not connect with me at all. I was enjoying the sound design and some of the excellent aerial shots, but the whole thing unraveled for me at the end. Every review I have read since, including @hugh's excellent one on here, haven't had the same issue as me though. You might like it.

I liked it. In fact I almost loved it. Mainly for the visuals, the nice score and Amy Adams' performance. But I seemed to be a step ahead of it all the time, and felt there were too may 12A moments in there. It really did look fantastic though. Needs to be seen on the big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back