What movie did you watch last night? (31 Viewers)

a_girl_walks_home_alone_at_night_category.jpg

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night. theres a perfect torrent of this floating around.

Really, really liked this. Was looking forward to seeing it for a long time so was open to being a disappointment. wasn't at all. Looks amazing, decent take on the vampire thing. minimum dialogue here. hardly needed. bordering on silent movie. A real solid 8/10

Drag Me To Hell. Had been really looking forward to this, but it was only okay in the end. Bit of a ticking boxes feel off it from the Raimis. Grand.

Shooter. Quite bad action/conspiracy thing starring Marky Mark. A Bourne film for the Fast and Furious generation. Danny Glover has a lisp in this because he is wearing braces in real life. Kate Mara is lovely.

The Evil Dead remake. As far as horror remakes go this is one of the better ones. Lots of really imaginative gore. I plan to watch the original trilogy today

It would have been the best film of 2013 if the casting had been a bit better. Seriously gory and I loved all the lurid bright colouring mixed in with the dark greens and browns. Reminded me a lot of the Lamberto Bava film Demons. Brilliant orchestral score

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Alléluia (2014)
From the director of Calvaire and Vinyan.
Pretty good retelling/remake of the Honeymoon Killers.
Nicely shot and different enough to justify its making.

Borgman (2013)
Pretty strange Dutch film about a vagrant that insinuates himself into a middle class family very much to their detriment. Kinda reminded me of The Servant (on Crack) but really it is a very different animal. Don't expect a ton of answers either.

Alléluia (2014)
From the director of Calvaire and Vinyan.
Pretty good retelling/remake of the Honeymoon Killers.
Nicely shot and different enough to justify its making.

Borgman (2013)
Pretty strange Dutch film about a vagrant that insinuates himself into a middle class family very much to their detriment. Kinda reminded me of The Servant (on Crack) but really it is a very different animal. Don't expect a ton of answers either.
Yeah, Borgman was really interesting.

For tonight I have an Argento double bill of Phenomena (there's a great piece on this in this month's Fangoria) and Terror at the Opera. After that there's a Chet Baker documentary on Sky Arts. Have a couple of Asahi and a glass of Talisker lined up to go with that. Perfect night.

No Army of Darkness? The Evil Dead remake is excellent too
I'd watch Army of Darkness if I had it. I hadn't seen the original Evil Dead in about 15 years but taped it off Film4. Still great.

Never saw the second one (or Army) as someone in school had told me ED2 was shit and I believed him. Turns out he was a sap, it's brilliant. Keeping an eye on Film4's listings in the hope they show Army of Darkness soon.

Really enjoyed Phenomena, it's my favourite Argento film. There's several different cuts of this, including rather bizarrely a PG edit that was released in the UK in the 80s as Creepers. There's a version that pops up on Netflix once in a while but it's pretty heavily edited, so it's worth picking up the Arrow Video dvd. Entomology, fantasy, Donald Pleasance, Jennifer Connolly, a chimp that bit off part of her finger in real life and a score by Goblin (just Claudio Simonetti & Fabio Pignatelli). The only downside is the full on metal that soundtracks some of the scenes, it's a bit jarring, but as a whole it's a film that I always 100% love watching.

Terror at the Opera, some great set pieces, really enjoyable. Great beer movie. Score by Brian Eno and Simonetti!

Finally got around to watching Frances Ha today. Brilliant. Really loved. Greta Gerwig and a really great feel-good film for a Sunday afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back