What movie did you watch last night? (14 Viewers)

71. Really liked it. Unbearably tense at times and full of great 70s facial hair. Those Love/Hate lads can't do Belfast accents though. Jack O'Connell has potential to be great.

Yeah, loved it. The Love Hate girl was grand, but Tommy was dire.

O'Connell was fantastic and the Loyalist kid was great too

Saw Gone Girl earlier in the week. Ridiculous but watchable. Not sure anyone other than Fincher could have pulled it off.

Just saw it there. Meh, I don't totally agree.

There's a point in the middle of it where it does a sort of Fight Club style "wait ... now re-evaluate the whole film you've watched up to this point" move, which is fine Fincher manages this pretty well he's been pulling this move a lot and done it more successfully in the past. But after this moment the film just goes full on ridiculous but the tone doesn't even try to match the ridiculousness.

There's a really good piece of satire in there. A really cold cynical comment to be made on gender, marriage, economics and especially the media. But instead it just plays it's ridiculousness with absolute head butting seriousness. I couldn't take any of it seriously at all. I wish someone had been in charge who could go

"right this middle section is pretty fucking stupid when you think about it, I mean there are huge plot holes here, several of the characters are actually fuking monsters, so lets play up a bit and push that envelope a bit and make the whole thing ridiculous but pointed" Polanski for example. He's creepy enough to really get under the skin of the characters and push the boat out. I'm not saying ham it but I didn't think the austere understated aspects of the middle section really did the subject matter any favours.

Not to say I hated it. It was a good thriller, kept me guessing, but as far as any deeper reading into anything in the film that would be like looking for trying to get sustenance from a bag of popcorn.

Fair play to Ben Affleck though. Great mickey.

For the times that are in it, the Blair Witch Project. I hadn't seen it since it came out, and I can tell you it holds up. I won't be going walking in the woods anytime soon.

The Prince. I'm not sure why I watched it, I think it has something to do with liking Grosse Pointe Blank and it seeming to have John Cusack as some sort of assassin.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyway, awful, awful, awful, awful movie. Not even so bad it's good. Just bad. I can only imagine there was some rich idiot willing to throw a lot of money at this to have it made (there's like 19 producers) and people were very willing to take all his money.

A mechanic learns that his daughter, whom he thinks is at college, has dropped out. He tries to call her but when someone else answers the phone, he goes to where she's staying and finds a photo of his daughter with another girl, so he looks for her and asks her where his daughter is. She says that his daughter hooked up with a guy whose from New Orleans. So they go there to find him. When some men refuse to answer his questions they beat him but he fights back, which the girl is amazed that he can do. Eventually they find the guy who tells them where his daughter might be. But while on their way some men shoot at them. He learns that they work for a man named Omar who wants him. He still tries to find his daughter while Omar sends his best men to get him

Not to say I hated it. It was a good thriller, kept me guessing, but as far as any deeper reading into anything in the film that would be like looking for trying to get sustenance from a bag of popcorn.
By the sound of it we agree entirely. It was far from amazing. Popcorn movie was exactly how I described it to the missus who liked it far more than me.

"would be like looking for trying to get sustenance from a bag of popcorn."

What the fuck Cattle re-read your posts before posting them!!!

It was grand, nowhere near as good as it's being made out to be.

Just read some of the discussions on gender in the film. Fucking hell some people take things way too fucking seriously.

Although I had to laugh at the audiences reaction in the cinema I saw it in

Man has his throat cut and bleeds to death - no reaction from the audience.

Woman gets her head bashed against a wall - audible gasps

The Maze Runner - surprisingly enjoyable bollocks about these 'young adults' trapped in a giant maze with no memory of how they got there.
Typical Hunger Games kind of fare, of course, but fairly good laugh nonetheless. Maybe that's just cause I spent most of the time trying to predict who would die though. The film ends in a kind of Snowpiercer sort of shit, all the more amusing really.

"would be like looking for trying to get sustenance from a bag of popcorn."

What the fuck Cattle re-read your posts before posting them!!!

It was grand, nowhere near as good as it's being made out to be.

Just read some of the discussions on gender in the film. Fucking hell some people take things way too fucking seriously.

Although I had to laugh at the audiences reaction in the cinema I saw it in
It's just way too slight a movie to invoke serious discussions on gender for me.

Last night, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Somehow, someway I had never seen this and needless to say it's fucking deadly. The first of many of the season
texas-chainsaw-massacre-1974.jpeg

Easily in my top 5 horrors. The sheer weirdness of it…
That's it in a nutshell. The pacing and structure are all over the place in a great way. And the characters and performances are so strange, that makes it real and utterly terrifying. I was expecting such a seminal flick to have dated a bit. It hasn't really at all. Also it's so full-on. The sound of the chainsaw and screaming seems interminable.

That's it in a nutshell. The pacing and structure are all over the place in a great way. And the characters and performances are so strange, that makes it real and utterly terrifying. I was expecting such a seminal flick to have dated a bit. It hasn't really at all. Also it's so full-on. The sound of the chainsaw and screaming seems interminable.

Yup tis a classic alright. I remember seeing it while it was still banned. My friend's brother had some old vhs copy which had it taped off some european tv station. Needless to say the quality was dire, but yet it kind of added to the uneasy feeling of the entire film.

The Happening. So truly dire. But watching it again, it occurred to me that it's a comedy, right? Or a piss take. It can't actually be that awful, can it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back