What movie did you watch last night? (8 Viewers)

So over the last few days, I've watched L'Auberge Espagnol, Russian Dolls, and Chinese Puzzles - trilogy of films from this French dude.

The films centre around this French dude, oui oui oui, trying to figure out how love and life go together, kind of thing.

In the first one, he goes on erasmus to Barcelona, leaving his girlfriend (Audrey Tautou) behind - yes, he left Audrey Tautou behind, so he must be mental.
Anyway, at this point he is still in college (post-grad, mind) and doesn't know what he wants to do with life, etc. The first film is a good laugh, and one of the things you figure out fairly quickly is that the guy is a complete fucking idiot and a bit of an arsehole really. This film is actually quite interesting for discussions of identity and that sort of thing.

In the second film, it's 5 years later and the dude is still looking for love and that, whilst trying to make a living as a writer. At this point, he is just approaching 30, and basically he is a total dickhead, haha. Like, he's no longer even just stupid, now he's a complete arse. The second film is kinda shit really, but I think the point is that it's showing what an arsehole he is at this point in his life when he has still figured nothing out.

In the third film (currently in cinemas), it's 10 years later again, and he is approaching 40. He's been married, has 2 kids, and it seems that he has finally grown up. He's no longer a complete dickhead, apparently. So what you get with the third film, he's still wondering what the hell is going on with his life, but he's finally starting to figure out some of the things that are good for him.
The third film turns out to be really nice actually and quite funny too, and still remains quite self-aware as a whole (particularly using a sort of meta-narrative involving his conversations with his publisher).
Chinese Puzzles is pretty great - but it won't be as good if you haven't seen the first 2 films and haven't seen what a complete fucking douche he was in the past!

Tim's Vermeer

Very entertaining and absorbing documentary about an American inventor who tries to replicate a Vermeer masterpiece.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tim's Vermeer

Very entertaining and absorbing documentary about an American inventor who tries to replicate a Vermeer masterpiece.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I thought that was great.

Saw it on Friday night (midnight screening, just 2 people away from the dream of having the cinema all to myself, jerks), it's good. Meandering plot, but in a good way, it takes its time getting to where it's going.
I loved it. One of the best of the year so far for me. Been re-visiting the director, Jim Mickle’s, past work and it’s all worth checking out. Stake Land is a treat. He’s one of the most distinctive genre filmmakers around at the moment. He is also developing a TV show based on a series of books written by the author of Cold in July. Sounds very promising.

SundanceTV Developing ‘Hap and Leonard’ Crime Fighting Book Series | Variety

The Punk Singer. Great documentary. Kathleen Hanna comes across as smart, funny, open, warm, brave, hard working and dedicated to her cause. It's easy to see why she is held in such high esteem by music fans.
KathleenHannaThePunkSingerFilm.jpg

Doom (2005)

Resident Evil: Apocalypse levels of crapness. You'd think it'd be hard to balls up a film about shooting demons with The Rock, Karl Urban and Rosamund Pike. Making good films must be more difficult than it looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back