What movie did you watch last night? (4 Viewers)

Elysium - pretty class, especially in IMax, the visuals are fooking (Prawns) amazing.
This film is great, but not as amazing as District 9, which still rules all. The dude that plays Wikus in D9 is the bad guy in this one, and he is still hilarious, in a much more mean way.
The visuals really are amazing.

The Kings of Summer in the Lighthouse

Really liked it. Nostalgic, funny and slightly off-kilter.

toyshousefilmstill2toyshouseproductions.jpg

A Lonely Place To Die. What could have been an enjoyable mountaineering suspense film is ruined by shite dialogue, absurd plotting and a really annoying and intrusive score. Idris Elba and Sean Harris redeem it somewhat.
618w_lonely_place_to_die_poster.jpg

The Ghost Writer. Roman Polanski's brilliantly directed, creepy, suspenseful political thriller. Benefits hugely from a spooky setting, a terrific score and a strong central performance from Ewan McGregor.
2960film20100120_173136_0_big.jpg

MV5BMTk1NTc3NDc4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjYwNDk0OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

I've been avoiding this film since it came out because I read one sentence with regard to the plot and knew better. WHY DID I WATCH THIS? It's going to be like 13 Conversations About One Thing all over again.

Scrape 'em off, Claire... Scrape 'em off.

Amour
HANEKE_2012_Amour_official_poster.jpg

Michale Haneke is among the world greatest living film makers. If you've seen any of his films you'll know what to expect. his films are uniformly unflinching, gritty, brave, affecting and provocative. In this regard Amour may well be his masterpiece. A tale about an elderly couple dealing with the "humiliation" and inevitability of ageing this is not for everyone. It's tough work to get through but it is never any less than utterly gripping, incredibly honest and a fitting elegy to the power of love. The performances by both Jean Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva are nothing short of perfect. At times in fact it's hard to imagine these people are actors. What makes Amour a cut above all other films which deal with the subject of death and ageing is that Haneke manages to under play everything so that instead of having the jovial old coots banter back and forward in attempt to draw us in he instead presents simple and subtle realism which gives his characters a deep humanity and a dignity which is present even in the most humiliating of scenarios.

This is heartbreaking and devastating stuff. Superbly written delicately directed and above all brilliantly and bravely performed. Possibly the best film I've seen since Silence and undoubtedly one I will never watch again. I felt emotionally drained after this.

NB- Not recommended if you have a slight hangover and if your Grandmother died of a debilitating disease while being cared for by your family.

The Hunt

the-hunt-poster.jpg

The Danish sure can make films and telly can't they ?

The hunt is the latest work by Thomas Vinterberg, he of Festen fame. Without wanting to give away any of the plot it's the story of a man i a small town whose life begins to unravel. That's all I'm willing to say save for the fact that this is one of the best films of the last few years and is well worth seeing. The performances by the cast are excellent, the direction is pitch perfect and the film as a whole is brilliant. Vinterberg manages to make procedings gripping and tense without ever losing sight of reality and without resorting to stupid plot devises or idiotic twists. An unshrinking examination of small town society and paranoia as well as a brilliant character piece this is poweful adult film making by a director on top of his game.

World War Z

World-War-Z-poster.jpg

Imagine if you will young lovers, he takes her and goes hell for leather at t, sloppy tonguey kisses, gropey desperate hands, no foreplay just right in. And make no mistake she is loving this. It's all power and thrust and young flesh and excitement and lustful wanting and fun.

And then he's done.

It's over and her parents won't be home for 20 minutes so yeah he goes through the motions so she's satisfied but is she really satisfied ? I mean really ?

That's what World War Z is like.

It begins with ... eh ....well it begins with every scene from the fucking trailer so no surprises there then. Kurt Cobain... no wait Brad Pitt is the UN special lad in charge of zombies or something and he has to jet across the world to stop a zombie horde from destroying the planet, yadda yadda. It's all good fun at first actually as the film begins with the kind of break neck set pieces that make summer movies so much darn fun. Unfortunately it doesn't really have enough in the tank or a director with enough skill to really keep it going and before you know it you've got formulaic scenes of Kurt ...sorry Brad sneaking around government facilities hiding from Zombies yadda yadda. It's not much fun really, slightly po faced and unintentially funny
So Mrs Cobain... sorry Mrs Pitt is waiting for a call from her husband, he's in great peril and the phone is there only link right ? So why the fuck does she bury the fucking phone at the bottom of her fucking bag ? Fuck sake women why do you do this ?

And that's before

The racially insensitive to the point of being insulting scene in which the Palestinians destroy the idyllic city of Jerusalem by singing. Fucking hell it's dumb as a bag of fucking rocks.

It's not a bad film. It certainly has it's moments but most of them occur in the high octane opening 30 minutes and so it's hopelessly unbalanced. Too serious and prone to idiocy. As popcorn munchers go it's grand but really just watch the trailer and you've basically seen it all.

The Hunt

the-hunt-poster.jpg

The Danish sure can make films and telly can't they ?

The hunt is the latest work by Thomas Vinterberg, he of Festen fame. Without wanting to give away any of the plot it's the story of a man i a small town whose life begins to unravel. That's all I'm willing to say save for the fact that this is one of the best films of the last few years and is well worth seeing. The performances by the cast are excellent, the direction is pitch perfect and the film as a whole is brilliant. Vinterberg manages to make procedings gripping and tense without ever losing sight of reality and without resorting to stupid plot devises or idiotic twists. An unshrinking examination of small town society and paranoia as well as a brilliant character piece this is poweful adult film making by a director on top of his game.

Yeah, saw this in the cinema last year and it was class. Mads Mikkelsen rules like.

Dahmer. Well acted but overly sensationalised and fairly sleazy Jeffrey Dahmer biopic. Jeremy Renner is very good.

Christine. John Carpenter's slickly directed adaptation of Stephen King's killer car novel. Enjoyable.

Amour
HANEKE_2012_Amour_official_poster.jpg

Michale Haneke is among the world greatest living film makers. If you've seen any of his films you'll know what to expect. his films are uniformly unflinching, gritty, brave, affecting and provocative. In this regard Amour may well be his masterpiece. A tale about an elderly couple dealing with the "humiliation" and inevitability of ageing this is not for everyone. It's tough work to get through but it is never any less than utterly gripping, incredibly honest and a fitting elegy to the power of love. The performances by both Jean Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva are nothing short of perfect. At times in fact it's hard to imagine these people are actors. What makes Amour a cut above all other films which deal with the subject of death and ageing is that Haneke manages to under play everything so that instead of having the jovial old coots banter back and forward in attempt to draw us in he instead presents simple and subtle realism which gives his characters a deep humanity and a dignity which is present even in the most humiliating of scenarios.

This is heartbreaking and devastating stuff. Superbly written delicately directed and above all brilliantly and bravely performed. Possibly the best film I've seen since Silence and undoubtedly one I will never watch again. I felt emotionally drained after this.

Agreed. I still can't stop thinking about it and wished I never watched it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back