What movie did you watch last night? (3 Viewers)

Borgman. Bonkers Dutch comedy/drama/horror about a mysterious drifter who enters the home of an affluent family and gets up to all sorts of ghastly deeds. I guess you'd call this a sort of nightmarish gothic fairytale if you were inclined. I loved it.
MV5BNDg5OTk0OTI3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjYxMDM1MTE@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

A few I had recorded.

Murder by Decree (1979)
The Keep (1983)
Race with the devil (1975)

Rewatched Race with the Devil not so long ago - I was suprised how much I still liked it though the Winnebago didn't quite impress me as much as it did as a kid.

lg_Pulp-News-Story-Image.jpg

Bloody awful.

A documentary on Pulp which mostly consists of a tall berk from New Zealand interviewing people in the streets of Sheffield in a gonzo style. Some of them seemed to have a vague idea who Pulp or Jarvis Cocker are.

Highlights included:

A creepy newspaper selling man that looked exactly like the Dungeon Master from the 80s cartoon. I dont think he knew who pulp were, but he does like We Are the Champions and im guessing was one of the few people who would speak to tall New Zealand berk man.

A fella in a pool changing room pulling some half remembered Jarvis Cocker dance moves. Why and how was there a tall New Zealand film maker in a pool changing room with a video camera?

A pre-teenage dance group dancing...*shrugs shoulders*.

The few minutes of screen time dedicated to the actual band saw them pondering insightful question such as “are you ever not performing?” and “are you a common man?” and looking a bit embarrassed.

A total mess of a film and a complete waste of an opportunity. Pissed me off no end.

Joe. David Gordon Green's drama. Damn good movie. Nic Cage's best work in years but the real surprise here is an astonishing performance from Gary Poulter as the abusive, alcoholic father of Tye Sheridan. Poulter was a real life homeless man and alcoholic with no previous acting experience who Gordon Green discovered and cast the film. Sadly Poulter was very ill and he was found dead before the film was released. It's a brilliant performance. Joe (2013) - IMDb

Joe. David Gordon Green's drama. Damn good movie. Nic Cage's best work in years but the real surprise here is an astonishing performance from Gary Poulter as the abusive, alcoholic father of Tye Sheridan. Poulter was a real life homeless man and alcoholic with no previous acting experience who Gordon Green discovered and cast the film. Sadly Poulter was very ill and he was found dead before the film was released. It's a brilliant performance. Joe (2013) - IMDb
The sad, tragic story of the homeless-man scene-stealer in Nicolas Cage's movie, 'Joe' | Inside Movies | EW.com

I saw Maleficent which was tremendously ok at best. Some nice ideas and all but it's all done very clumsily and a total wasted opportunity imho

300 Rise of an Empire. Dumber and more OTT than the first one. The main guy is awful and the battle scenes are sort of ruined with crappy looking CGI blood flying everywhere but Eva Green more than makes up for any shortcomings. She's brilliant in it. Contains a tremendously stupid sex scene which is great cos Eva Green gets her shirt off for it. Film = 6/10
EW-300-rise-of-an-empire-banner.jpg

One thing which puzzled me about Edge of Tomorrow

Why was Brendan Gleeson was so set on sending Tom Cruise into battle? It seemed to suggest that he was willingly sending a man with no combat training to his death just because he was a bit of a prick. A little harsh, douche or not.

The thing that should puzzle you most is that...
The ending makes no logical sense at all and is confusing and disappointing in equal amounts.

The ending makes no logical sense at all and is confusing and disappointing in equal amounts.
agreed. apparently there was a different ending in the original script but warner bros didnt like it and made them change it. Would have been so much better if they hadn’t reset the timeline again.

The most disappointing thing is that this was a pretty damn good high concept summer movie that was not a reboot or sequel and it's being ignored in the box office.

People will moan about Transformers and it will make $400m.

It's depressing for what it means for future summers.

Enjoy another decade of fucking super hero movies, you fucking saps.

Last edited:
he lies to cruise about sending him to the front with a camera crew, then lies to the officers by telling them cruise is a deserter. either he's got a personal vendetta or he's a psychopath

Gleeson told cruise he was being sent to the front to report on the invasion in a non-combat role, which cruise didn't like, then clarified that he'd be embedded (and protected), and not fighting, which cruise still didn't like. As soon as cruise makes a run for it, well that's actual desertion, and off to heathrow he goes[/qoute]

Gleeson told cruise he was being sent to the front to report on the invasion in a non-combat role, which cruise didn't like, then clarified that he'd be embedded (and protected), and not fighting, which cruise still didn't like. As soon as cruise makes a run for it, well that's actual desertion, and off to heathrow he goes[/qoute]

Bingo

he gets splashed with the blood of the "1 in 6 million" alien and can reset the day. He gets splashed with the blood of the head honcho alien and as a result resets time even further back.

Which is ridiculous, but since the entire premise of the film depends on an acceptance of aliens that can manipulate time for no apparent reason it's not that hard to swallow. i was more put out by the s l o w fuses on his grenades

hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back