What movie did you watch last night? (28 Viewers)

Have you ever been checked for autism ?

The problem is the cinema experience and how the film is made. First off, it's historical, and their manner of speaking is 19th century, so that immediately adds an element of surreality. But the way the film is shot augments this - one of the first scenes has a camera moving through long grass, which parts to reveal a slave working in the field.

The director or cinematographer or whatever probably thought this was very stylish or something, but in reality it just heightens the feeling of watching a film, reminding the viewer that the camera is actually there, which damages any immersion in the film and therefore detracts from the impact of the film.

That kind of camera shot happens numerous times throughout the film, and every time it happens I'm like "Oh yeah, it's a film." A straight cut between scenes would actually be more effective and build engagement.

In all seriousness, I find watching a film like Spartacus more engaging/uncomfortable than 12 Years A Slave, because at least you're not constantly being reminded that this is a film by "look how amazingly stylish my camera-work is!"

The problem is the cinema experience and how the film is made. First off, it's historical, and their manner of speaking is 19th century, so that immediately adds an element of surreality. But the way the film is shot augments this - one of the first scenes has a camera moving through long grass, which parts to reveal a slave working in the field.

The director or cinematographer or whatever probably thought this was very stylish or something, but in reality it just heightens the feeling of watching a film, reminding the viewer that the camera is actually there, which damages any immersion in the film and therefore detracts from the impact of the film.

That kind of camera shot happens numerous times throughout the film, and every time it happens I'm like "Oh yeah, it's a film." A straight cut between scenes would actually be more effective and build engagement.

In all seriousness, I find watching a film like Spartacus more engaging/uncomfortable than 12 Years A Slave, because at least you're not constantly being reminded that this is a film by "look how amazingly stylish my camera-work is!"

Actually I'm going to spoiler this discussion, just in case.

I'll be writing this one up later but for me I felt that it was a beautiful film about human ugliness. The shots you're talking about were emersion breaks alright but I didn't totally feel that it was ever a film in which the intention was to be immersive, it never felt as though the camera was inviting us in as an audience like the way that Spielberg films do. The camera always seems to be looking at events, the audience is present as a witness rather than as a participant. I felt that that and the long shots of the land etc were very deliberate, There's an extremely "arty" visual sensibility at work, sure, that's not going to be for everyone, but there was never a point that made me think "this is a non sequitur". In fact most of the best shots seemed extremely well executed and quite pointed.

The best example is a shot of bald cypress trees which comes after a moment of extreme violence. The tress appearance is a visual metaphor for the violence and seemingly eternal nature of slavery. There are plenty of references to this African American culture, for example Strange Fruit. Equally the grass, the cotton, it all points to this notion that for as long as there is land there will be slaves.

I never felt that the style was pretentious, and to be honest I felt the breathing space in the film allowed me to fully digest some of the events in a way that a more condensed piece wouldn't have allowed.

In comparison to, Schindlers List for example there is no breathing space and so much savagery going on that eventually Spielberg has to use colour to make at least one of the deaths that occur memorable.

It's a balancing act I suppose, I thought McQueen got it right.

But that's me, and this is very much my "type of thing".

I .... eh .... well not "loved" it that's probably not the right word but it's definitely the best "American" film I've seen in a long time.

On a list along side Snow Town of films I never want to watch again though.

This is one of the best horror movies ever made and my personal favourite. i don't think we needed to see the child. Some things are best left to the imagination. Disagree about the ending, it's perfect. "He has his father's eyes"

Agreed. It's that bit more sinister when you don't get to see the baby - the exact opposite of a normal delivery where the baby is brought to the mother as soon as possible.

This is one of the best horror movies ever made and my personal favourite. i don't think we needed to see the child. Some things are best left to the imagination. Disagree about the ending, it's perfect. "He has his father's eyes"

Well yeah, your probably right in saying we didn't need to see it, these things are generally a disappointment. I think I was expecting a film where things go bump in the night whereas this didn't have so much of that.

Well yeah, your probably right in saying we didn't need to see it, these things are generally a disappointment. I think I was expecting a film where things go bump in the night whereas this didn't have so much of that.

For me it suffers a bit from the fact that no one really pays the devil much heed these days.
He's lost a lot of His mojo.

To be fair, John Carpenter is almost the definition of hit and miss.
His good stuff is amazing, some of the best films ever. His miss stuff, is just boring really!
john_carpenters_vampires_xlg.jpg

Prepare for the yawn more like.

Saw Inside Llewyn Davis - good but not up there with their best. Falls pretty flat in the middle. Good central performance though and the songs are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back