What movie did you watch last night? (11 Viewers)

Sightseers. Pitch black comedy/drama about a couple on holiday in rural Yorkshire, who end up on a killing spree. It's pretty good, but no master piece, worth a watch if it's on the telly again.

Wolfcreek. Australian horror/serial killer film, been meaning to see this for a while. not bad, but all ad breaks killed off any tension that had been developing.

Barton Fink is showing in The Lighthouse this week. I've never seen it so I thought I'd pop along to watch it at 5:30. Had misread the listing, was actually at 15:30.

Not wanting to wait 10 hours for the next one I punished myself by going to the multiplex in Liffey Valley and saw the (terrible, duh) anchorman movie.

It straight lifts a gag off of Back To The Future

Trading_Places.jpg

Trading Places. There's moments etched onto a teenage boy's mind in that film.

Bobby Fischer Against The World. Excellent documentary about a fascinating figure. There's a wealth of great archive material in this movie and we see Fischer transform from runty Brooklyn kid to dashing world champion to ranting old codger before our very eyes. Mad shit altogether.

The Guard. I loved this when it came out but it doesn't hold up as well on repeat viewings. Don Cheadle looks a bit lost and there's not much chemistry between him and Gleeson. The ending is a bit shit as well. Best in the early scenes when Gleeson's character is acting the bollocks and pissing everyone off. Looking forward to Calvary, mind.

Nebraska - Saw this today at the Lighthouse. An addled, slightly cantankerous old fella in Montana (Bruce Dern) is obsessed by the idea that he's won a million dollars thanks to a mail scam and his son reluctantly agrees to drive him 900km across 3 states to collect his 'winnings', hoping to do a bit of overdue bonding with him on the way. Similar in tone to something like The Straight Story or About Schmidt (which was directed by the same guy), gently comedic and downbeat with a bit of a barbed, almost bleak look at small town mid-West America and aging men of few words but plenty of regrets.

The Hobbit Pt 2 - At least bypasses the tedious opening of the first film but it's still groaning at the seams with all the additional stuff they've added in to darken the tone and make it more of a fit with the Rings movies. The elves were dickheads in the original book right? I don't remember them repeatedly saving the day, anyway. Also a bit bored of almost every character in fantasy films growling their lines like Russell Crowe in Gladiator.

Midnight Cowboy - Had never seen this before. Funny, and quite touching at the end. Late '60s NYC in all its weird, seedy glory.

Philomena - I quite liked it.. The humour and Coogan's cynical character are effective at cutting through the sort of weepy Oscar-bait tendencies that this type of story attracts. Having seen a couple of interviews subsequently with the real Philomena Lee, Judi Dench played her more broadly as a sort of composite Irish mammy figure but the character still rings true.

The World's End. I expected to hate this but I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Great fun. The best of the Pegg/Frost/Wright trilogy.

Lovelace. Pretty dull. Despite the subject matter and the non linear structure, which didn't work at all, this felt like a TV movie. Amanda Seyfried was a blank and Peter Sarsgaard, who's normally great, struggled in a role James Woods could have played in his sleep.

Wolf of Wall Street. A movie about excess that throws so much at you that you feel almost dazed by the end. It's just so much movie - 3 hours long, have a beverage/bathroom strategy - and Scorcese uses every trick in his toolbox.
The Goodfellas shadows are hard to get away from but this is just a whole lot of fun.
DiCaprio and Hill are really strong throughout.

Also watched Dead Man Down. Despite strong leads, it's a bit of a mess and never achieves the gravitas that its mood and pace are going for.
Noomi Rapace's Swedish accent is explained by the fact that she is French and Colin Farrell is Hungarian.

If you are considering watching this movie, watch Payback with Mel Gibson instead.

Oh, and the Netflix blurb is just incorrect.
This taut crime thriller stars Colin Farrell as a brutal gang enforcer who falls for a woman bent on exacting revenge on his boss.
This is not what happens.

Honestly, I was enjoying it til this typo. It was only onscreen for less than a second, but I fucking saw it and rewound it and took a photo. At that point I decided that I was smarter than this movie. I'm a dick.

Attachments

• IMG_20131230_215744864.jpg
    IMG_20131230_215744864.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
I saw the Hobbit.

It had a Dragon and the ripped apart cages of the Nine. Clearly it was the best film of 2013.

47 Ronin.
Mostly very very good, tells its story patiently and with care.
The 12A rating was a but odd - it looked to me like all of the suicide scenes had been cut after the fact to get a 12A, and that originally they had intended to be a bit harder, which would suit the overall tone of the thing a bit better.
no cop out at the end, thankfully

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back