What movie did you watch last night? (15 Viewers)

Side Effects. Soderberg's gripping, unsettling psychological thriller. Excellent stuff. The cast are on top form particularly Law and Rooney Mara who is a revelation here. Great score. It reminded me of Polanski's The Ghost which had a similarly creepy, Hitchcockian vibe to it. Recommended.
sideeffectsxfrontz.jpg

I watched Frances Ha.

I really liked it and I'm hoping Hot Chocolate become the hipsters band of choice for the rest of 2013.

The Wolverine:

Pros - A pretty self contained story. Hairy man gets a Japanese bath and it's not all Sean Connery and sex touristy. The schoolgirls in short skirts and white socks with samurai swords masturbatory urge is dialed down a bit. The sequence on to of the bullet train is good.

Cons - Who's this bargain basement Poison Ivy clone? The final sequence and the "twist"... a bit of a let down.

Watched the Wonder Boys and Eagle Vs Shark over the weekend. Really enjoyed both. Also watched Behind the Candelabra recently. Also worth checking out if ye get the chance

Watched the Wonder Boys and Eagle Vs Shark over the weekend. Really enjoyed both. Also watched Behind the Candelabra recently. Also worth checking out if ye get the chance

Wonder Boys - one of my favourite movies. Great performance from Michael Douglas.
Keep meaning and forgetting to seek out the book

Wonder Boys - one of my favourite movies. Great performance from Michael Douglas.
Keep meaning and forgetting to seek out the book
Coincidentally, I'm currently reading this. It's a fictionalised account of the author, Chuck Kinder's friendship with Raymond Carver and the various booze feuled scrapes they get into. Grady Trip's character in Wonder Boys is based on Kinder. He taught Michael Chabon at college. Apparently Kinder's manuscript for Honeymooners was over 3,000 pages at one point. This went into Wonder Boys. Honeymooners is great by the way. Hilarious.
51cVnQ-olaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A Hijacking
a-hijacking-2012.jpg

So there's a ship, then there are some pirates who hijack the ship and the main character is a cook who seems to have no fighting skills.

So Is the cook played by Steven Segal ?

No ? right then so it's a real movie then is it ?

Well yes, yes it is. A Hijacking is Danish film written and directed by Tobias Lindholm who previously worked on the Danish drama series Borgen which in spite of it's rather simplistic politics is still a very good attempt at a political drama and is (for me anyway) mostly notable for it's damn fine performances and it's genuine and heartfelt approach towards depicting a family under extreme strain. A Hijacking takes this extreme strain and ramps up the tension several thousand notches to depict the hellish experiences of captivity and the rather powerless frustration of those charged with negotiating their release.

Yes A Hijacking is a real film. The threat of violence hangs over proceedings throughout and there are no easy answers or breaks from the atmosphere of fear and intimidation. There are no wise cracking side kicks, no super human He Men and no foolish twists involving the presidents daughter or nuclear cargo. In many ways the film reminded me of Paul Greengrass's excellent United 91. The super realistic look of the film the deliberately slow pace and the mounting of tension which remains present in every moment. This is simply a film about men forced together by desperation and poverty and for whom the only goal is simply survival. It's men on a boat and others in an office with a phone and for the most part that's it. It's power is actually derived from it's claustrophobic feel and it's sparing approach

Completely gripping and a welcome antidote to the thriller genre which typically throws too much at films like this and ends up with a mess of cliches rather than a bleak glimpse at something real which is all the more frightening and powerful.

Well worth a look.

This is 40. Well even after two sittings there is still 25 minutes left to go. It feels like you're watching their lives in REAL TIME. Every scene is about 2 or 3 times longer than it needs to be plus there are whole plot lines that don't have to be there. SOOOOO BOOORING.
There's probably a half decent 80min film in there somewhere.

He was just obeying his master"Kinawa-san, I need you to be a complete cliche for the next hour or so of the film. Can you do this for me?"
A Hijacking
a-hijacking-2012.jpg

So there's a ship, then there are some pirates who hijack the ship and the main character is a cook who seems to have no fighting skills.

So Is the cook played by Steven Segal ?

No ? right then so it's a real movie then is it ?

Well yes, yes it is. A Hijacking is Danish film written and directed by Tobias Lindholm who previously worked on the Danish drama series Borgen which in spite of it's rather simplistic politics is still a very good attempt at a political drama and is (for me anyway) mostly notable for it's damn fine performances and it's genuine and heartfelt approach towards depicting a family under extreme strain. A Hijacking takes this extreme strain and ramps up the tension several thousand notches to depict the hellish experiences of captivity and the rather powerless frustration of those charged with negotiating their release.

Yes A Hijacking is a real film. The threat of violence hangs over proceedings throughout and there are no easy answers or breaks from the atmosphere of fear and intimidation. There are no wise cracking side kicks, no super human He Men and no foolish twists involving the presidents daughter or nuclear cargo. In many ways the film reminded me of Paul Greengrass's excellent United 91. The super realistic look of the film the deliberately slow pace and the mounting of tension which remains present in every moment. This is simply a film about men forced together by desperation and poverty and for whom the only goal is simply survival. It's men on a boat and others in an office with a phone and for the most part that's it. It's power is actually derived from it's claustrophobic feel and it's sparing approach

Completely gripping and a welcome antidote to the thriller genre which typically throws too much at films like this and ends up with a mess of cliches rather than a bleak glimpse at something real which is all the more frightening and powerful.

Well worth a look.

Goddamnit

This just left my local cinema

This is 40. Well even after two sittings there is still 25 minutes left to go. It feels like you're watching their lives in REAL TIME. Every scene is about 2 or 3 times longer than it needs to be plus there are whole plot lines that don't have to be there. SOOOOO BOOORING.

Melissa McCarthy's principal's office scene is the best part of that film. There's more of it over the end credits, so stick with it.

this was a fucking pile of shit

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back