What movie did you watch last night? (27 Viewers)

Not really a film as such but I did watch this over the weekend

21c8fg6.jpg

Holds up. Great stuff.

"For Menneskeheten" (Saving the Human Race) , short Zombie comedy.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Shotgun Stories
shotgunposter.jpg

Jeff Nichols wrote and directed Take Shelter a year or so ago and that was excellent, this was his first film and it's also excellent. Set in small town rural Arkansas it's the story of a family feud between two sets of brothers. There's no twists, no set pieces, no explosive moments and yet it's quite gripping. Terence Maliks influence hangs heavily over the film as Nichols uses the scenery of the back water town to great effect the tone is contemplative the images suggest both the isolation as well as an inescapable proximity and inertia that small town occupants experience. The pace is slow in keeping with the pace of the lives of the characters. It's the natural performances of the cast that anchors the film. Michael Shannon is excellent as the eldest of three brothers at the centre of the film and it's the well observed scenes between them that stand out. A very good film worth a look.

Tabloid
tabloid-movie-poster.jpg

Nobody makes documentaries like Errol Morris. Or at least no one did until people started to realise that he was making documentaries which played out like feature film thrillers. Now you can see his influence over many films most notably last years brilliant real life film noir documentary The Imposter. This is as light hearted a film as Morris has ever made and it's Morris' lightness of touch that keeps it from going off the deep end as the story being told gets more and more ridiculous by the moment. The central figures are a mourmon named Kirk and a beauty queen named Joyce McKinney and that's all I'm saying. See it, it's entertaining and fucking weird. Not everything gets fully tied up in the end but it's a weird ride throughout. And we've always got google to fill in the blanks. By Morris' standards it's slightly incomplete but it's still so fucking nuts it succeeds on that fact alone. Highly recommended

Just saw Gangster Squad

Awful. A real disappoinment

I wouldn't be disappointed.
Because it looks fucking shit from the trailer.

"No ma'am. I was just hoping that someone would write completely shit dialogue for me that people are meant to think is cool and sexy or something, and then pay me millions to phone that shit in, just because I was in an over-rated film ostensibly about driving that didn't have much driving in it but made people think I am cool because I basically don't fucking say anything in the whole film."

Ryan Gosling should go back to being The Believer, at least then I can have a laugh at him.

Pandorum

220px-Pandorum-Poster.jpg

OK
Had a kind of The Descent fell about it

Sometimes claustrophobic = a bit cheap - especially when it comes to trying to convey the absolute size of the ship.

The end is good .......but it has elements of a "mad in space" movie and also a monster/zombie film - if they stuck with just the latter it would have been better and a little less all over the shop.

the idea of not remembering much as you wake from hypersleep and having to figure out what was going on was really effective, as was the idea that they had been asleep for almost a thousand years

Though the notion that there were enough resources on a ship with minimal power to keep any amount of people alive for that length of time - or that there were areas of the ship that remained unavailable to the creatures in the course of 100 years, or that any degree of evolution could happen in 100 years (though I think they inserted a line to try and explain this) doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

[/spoiler]

Just watched it, not bad. The generational starship gone wrong is a common trope in SF, this handled it well. But a bigger budget would have helped.

I wouldn't be disappointed.
Because it looks fucking shit from the trailer.

"No ma'am. I was just hoping that someone would write completely shit dialogue for me that people are meant to think is cool and sexy or something, and then pay me millions to phone that shit in, just because I was in an over-rated film ostensibly about driving that didn't have much driving in it but made people think I am cool because I basically don't fucking say anything in the whole film."

Ryan Gosling should go back to being The Believer, at least then I can have a laugh at him.

but ...but he's so dreamy...and he likes children and animals

Tabloid
tabloid-movie-poster.jpg

Nobody makes documentaries like Errol Morris. Or at least no one did until people started to realise that he was making documentaries which played out like feature film thrillers. Now you can see his influence over many films most notably last years brilliant real life film noir documentary The Imposter. This is as light hearted a film as Morris has ever made and it's Morris' lightness of touch that keeps it from going off the deep end as the story being told gets more and more ridiculous by the moment. The central figures are a mourmon named Kirk and a beauty queen named Joyce McKinney and that's all I'm saying. See it, it's entertaining and fucking weird. Not everything gets fully tied up in the end but it's a weird ride throughout. And we've always got google to fill in the blanks. By Morris' standards it's slightly incomplete but it's still so fucking nuts it succeeds on that fact alone. Highly recommended

Errol Morris is a king. Not his best work but excellent nonetheless.

Last night finally got round to Argo out in Santry. Enjoyable
argo.jpg

Dreams of a Life
dreams-of-a-life-poster-480x359.jpg

A good documentary informs you. You know the ins and outs, the who's, the whys, the whens and the consequences of these events. A great documentary affects you. Makes you feel as though you know the people involved and this by extension makes you emotionally invested in the how and why events took place, as it is most commonly this human factor that drives these events forwards. So for example a good documentary about the cuban missile crisis lets you know what happened. Where as a great one will leave you understanding how and why the personalities involved (Krushchev, Castro and JFK) pushed the events to it's conclusion. Dreams of a Life suffers because it doesn't manage to shed any light on the subject it's trying investigate and it does nothing to explain why the events took place.

In 2006 the decomposed body of Joyce Vincent was found in her flat. Her body had laid dead on the floor in front of her working TV for 3 years without being noticed or reported by anyone. Through interviews with those who knew her and re-enactments or dramatisations director Carol Morely tries to piece together a portrait of Vincent and an explanation of how and why this could have happened. Unfortunately Vincents friends can only explain that Vincent was beautiful, joyful and aloof. This aloofness obviously is the major contributing factor in her death and subsequently the length of time between that and the discovery of her body. There is so much missing from the film that it never manages to scratch the surface of the series of events which lead to her death. There are no interviews with her family, the police, neighbours, there is a question posed on the poster which says "would you be missed ?" which is an interesting question and one which bares investigation. However, apart from the poster this never comes up. There are no interviews with psychologists, sociologists or academics about isolation in major cities. Possible explanations are hinted at but never successfully explored, was she in an abusive relationship ? did she commit suicide ? In fact nothing is explored deeply. The fact that Vincents family didn't want to be interviewed in the film is explained by a hand written note which is scanned across briefly and this fact is never discussed. It seems at some point that perhaps the funding for the film was secured and perhaps the filming had begun before the family dropped out and the film was completed without them in spite of the fact that their omission leaves huge gaps. As a result the film is a failure. The dramatisations of her life are actually the most affecting aspect of the film and left me feeling that perhaps a fictional film based loosely on the events might have better served the story. In fiction at least the possibilities are more easily explored and a "truth" if not the absolute truth can be arrived at. In the end the film doesn't do enough to really give us any insight into the character of Vincent or into the events which caused her to remain sadly undisturbed for 3 years. Ultimately very disappointing.

Telstar was on TG4 last night. I thought it was pretty good. Joe Meek was an interesting critter. It suffered, as a lot of British films do, from having a pretty small budget but the cast was decent enough, odd seeing James Corden in it though. As far as I can tell most scenes in the film had at least some basis in reality. His deterioration and increased isolation from others was nicely portrayed as supporting characters literally faded away once they left the studio the last time. The film portrays Meek's murder of his landlady as an accident which I can't recall was the case or not. I thought it was pretty clearly murder. Anyway, worth a watch, definitely, most especially if you're interested in Meek's music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back