What movie did you watch last night? (20 Viewers)

bennett-commando-o.gif

recently

Code Unknown
code-unknown-poster.jpg

A glimpse into the lives of several charachters linked to each other only by one extremely minor incident. The subtitle of this film is incomplete tales of several journeys, and that's pretty much what we get. the stories start wonder along lean towards something and then just kind of fizzle out. This is Micheal Haneke doing what he does best which is asking his audience to stick in there and fill in the blanks yourself. Nothing much happens but every scene is brilliantly well constructed so that by the end all the fragments start to add up to a satistfying (though never easily digestable) whole. If you like Haneke you'll like this if you don't you'll absolutely hate it. If you've never heard of him start with Time of the Wolf, Funny Games or the White Ribbon instead.

Lilya 4 Ever
Lilya_4-ever_poster.jpg

Touching, often brilliant (occaisionally slightly flawed) and ultimately harrowing exploration of human trafficing prostitution and child abuse. That's it really, say anymore and I'd be doing it a disservice. This is tough, grim stuff. It's brilliant but I never want to think about it again unfortunately it won't leave me alone. Which is the mark of a great film.

The Host
the_host_poster.jpg

Utterly insane Korean monster movie packed with inventive madness and like many asian movies much of it may go completely over your head unless you know something about korean social history and there relationship with america I didn't but it didn't matter as this film is too entertaining to get bogged down in "MESSAGE!!!!" I liked it more than distrit 9. So there.

The Host
the_host_poster.jpg

Utterly insane Korean monster movie packed with inventive madness and like many asian movies much of it may go completely over your head unless you know something about korean social history and there relationship with america I didn't but it didn't matter as this film is too entertaining to get bogged down in "MESSAGE!!!!" I liked it more than distrit 9. So there.

Go watch Mother, by the same dude. Savage.

Go watch Mother, by the same dude. Savage.

I probably will. I hope it's as downright mental as the host though. I can' express how much i fucking loved this film seriously why did action drop off so badly after John Mcternan became a fucking sap ? Seriously @ratmonkey apart from Luc Besson I respect no one. Explain?

PS I love ratmonkey in this thread. Totally hardcore movie spa = much fucking love.

If you want we can discuss the merits of Predator and Die Hard 1 and 3, forever, but, apart from them and the occasional jap/Besson lad it's basically bollox.

P.S I watched half of Enter The Void last night and it's basically bullshit apart from the first 20 minutes........Yeah I said it ;

Seriously

as usual washingcattle is shitfaced

Take that the internet.

Peace out saps.

PPS.

Ratmonkey much love yo.

SEEEEEEEEEEERiously.

I probably will. I hope it's as downright mental as the host though. I can' express how much i fucking loved this film seriously why did action drop off so badly after John Mcternan became a fucking sap ? Seriously @ratmonkey apart from Luc Besson I respect no one. Explain?

PS I love ratmonkey in this thread. Totally hardcore movie spa = much fucking love.

If you want we can discuss the merits of Predator and Die Hard 1 and 3, forever, but, apart from them and the occasional jap/Besson lad it's basically bollox.

P.S I watched half of Enter The Void last night and it's basically bullshit apart from the first 20 minutes........Yeah I said it ;

Seriously

as usual washingcattle is shitfaced

Take that the internet.

Peace out saps.

PPS.

Ratmonkey much love yo.

SEEEEEEEEEEERiously.

Ha. I don't remember this I was totally wrecked. I know I meant it all as a compliment though.

Unless you're watching it on a big massive screen, don't bother with Enter the Void. Some things are better on a big screen, this absolutely needs a big screen.

Also the what happened to action, pretty much I reckon it's down to the cheapness of CGI. Not to the level of "hey this is some really cool shit we can do that we couldn't before", but "our budget isn't big enough to do it properly but this looks vaguely like what we want, and no one's going to care too much if it doesn't". No one blows shit up anymore, not even in Hong Kong (the falloff of HK stuff is down to less restrictions on imported films meaning lower budgets for HK domestic stuff, and the Chinese government restricting what they can and can't show. There's still some good stuff coming out, but less than there was back in the day. Even Johnnie To seems to be spending more time at romantic comedies), it's cheaper to get some guy with a computer to make it look like some shit is blowing up. Even Hard Target, where Lance Henriksen was set on fire. If that was done today, it'd probably be not real fire (although you'd probably not find too many actors willing to be set on fire then either).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also the what is also wrong with action films is shakycam. It's one thing trying to make it look like non martial arts type actors can fight, but in something like the Expendables where you have Corey Yuen choreographing Jet Li and Dolph and you still can't see what's going on, something is seriously wrong. Worse is that Stallone directed the last Rambo, so he obviously know how to direct a decent action film, he just for some reason chose to direct a not decent action film.

On a related note, there's a Transporter series being made by HBO and RTL. Apparently RTL have some seriously good stunt people. This here trailer for some German TV series called Alarm fuer Cobra 11 has a dude shooting a vehicle with a shotgun, which then flies up in the air and hits a helicopter. This is the kind of shit I can get behind.

Actually, it looks like the reason why no one can seems able to blow shit up anymore is because everyone who can is busy working for German television. This here is something called Der Klown, about a clown fighting crime via the mechanism of explosions and car chases I think.

Also here is something where a man fights in a suit, just like in the Transporter. If only there was some way of magically transforming RTE into RTL (other than removing two lines from the last letter). If RTE started showing shit like this, I'd start paying a TV license.

Enter The Void
enter-the-void-poster.jpg

The opening 20 minutes or so are mind blowing, but once you get passed that and the film starts to go in it's own direction you realise that it's all surface there's no depth, the acting is weak probably because the director is too involved with the technical side of things to allow anyone any time or space to create any memorable charachters, It seems in all the stunning beauty of it all they forgot to write anyhting interesting for the charachters to do or say. As a result it moves from mind blowing to mind numbing pretty quickly and perhaps because you never seem to see anyones face for any period of time you find it hard to give a shit about anyone. Occaisionally brilliant, Visually unlike anything you've ever seen before but ultimately unsatisfyingly bloated boring and pretentious. What's really frustrating is that it's easily an hour too long. Well worth seeing the opening 20 minutes though and best watched with your finger on the fast forward button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back