What movie did you watch last night? (16 Viewers)

escapist001.jpg

Enjoyable enuff prison break film with a decent cast (Brian Cox/Merlin/Liam Cunningham and yer man from Lock Stock). Theres also an appearance from WWE's Seamus. The director is doing the new Planet of the Apes film...

Thinking of watching this tonight or tomorrow:

2883559456_a06712e0af_o.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0192377/http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001212/

I like the way they changed the name from the Devil Rides Out to that in the US in case the Americans would think it was a Western.

I didn't realise that was the reason. Its prolly my fave Hammer film ever. The Goat of Mendes scared the shit out of me as a kid:

goat13.gif

I just read the book recently - The film is suprisingly faithful, especially considering it was Hammer who did it. Wheatly really was a posh git :)

Also watched SUPER on the strength od this thread. Good movie - a lot weirder than I expected.

I didn't realise that was the reason. Its prolly my fave Hammer film ever. The Goat of Mendes scared the shit out of me as a kid:

goat13.gif

I just read the book recently - The film is suprisingly faithful, especially considering it was Hammer who did it. Wheatly really was a posh git :)

Also watched SUPER on the strength od this thread. Good movie - a lot weirder than I expected.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

devil-rides-out.jpg

At last - as good as always...I thought Rex was badly cast when I read the book but on rewatching he wasn't so bad...Charles Grey is fucking great casting...I'm gonna read more Wheatley now.

And thanks Cormcolash for that video...the Goat looks grat in in it..I'm working on a podcast called 'Pure Feckin' Evil' and I'll include that song..cheers.

Insidious.jpg

Started of decent with some good scares then swopped directors like a 16 bus changes drivers - the 2nd guy having no idea what went before and ended up in a appalling mess set at the KCR (or Limbo in the case of this movie) plus the baddy looked like he was wearing a bad Darth Maul mask...

the-adjustment-bureau-poster.jpg

Meh.
It was never going to be great - there is no satisfying way to end a film with this premise.
but fuck it sure could have been better.

The whole men in hats thing, and the Farenheit 459 style police = trying too hard.

Matt Damon - I didn't buy the romance at all at all

Emily Blunt - christ she is gorgeous.

i take back my last post in the horn thread

The whole men in hats thing, and the Farenheit 459 style police = trying too hard.

It's been bugging me as to why this has been bugging me so much.
I think I have it figured.
When you put a science fiction veneer over theses mysterious forces shaping the world the viewer expects a proper explanation, in a way they wouldn't if it was just angels or other such hocus pocus.
so the film tries to have it both ways - the stylised science fiction costumes, the hats and the doors - but also they really don't bother to give any kind of background and just hope the viewer will be satisfied.

It's been bugging me as to why this has been bugging me so much.
I think I have it figured.
When you put a science fiction veneer over theses mysterious forces shaping the world the viewer expects a proper explanation, in a way they wouldn't if it was just angels or other such hocus pocus.
so the film tries to have it both ways - the stylised science fiction costumes, the hats and the doors - but also they really don't bother to give any kind of background and just hope the viewer will be satisfied.

Sounds like Battlestar. That did tend to just use 'GOD DID IT' when it couldn't think of an explanation

Sounds like Battlestar. That did tend to just use 'GOD DID IT' when it couldn't think of an explanation
Not quite.
If you say that the guys in the hats are angels - then the viewer just accept it pretty much - it's a supernatural thing and you just accept it within reason.
But the film to me seems to suggest that they are something else, but never bothers to give the viewer a satisfactory explanation.

They want the trappings of sci-fi but are too lazy to create a complete and consistent world so piggy back on the suspension of disbelief that the supernatural offers.

Not quite.
If you say that the guys in the hats are angels - then the viewer just accept it pretty much - it's a supernatural thing and you just accept it within reason.
But the film to me seems to suggest that they are something else, but never bothers to give the viewer a satisfactory explanation.

They want the trappings of sci-fi but are too lazy to create a complete and consistent world so piggy back on the suspension of disbelief that the supernatural offers.

I have to see this film. sounds amazing.

over the weekend
observe_and_report.jpg

funny enough. similar style to bad santa but not half as good
no-direction-home-bob-dylan-movie-poster-2005-1020355698.jpg

brilliant documentary.
18985161.jpg

not great. julianne moore was overacting and all the weird camera angles and bleached out colours annoyed me. also, it was unintentionally funny in parts, particuarly when mark ruffalo was acting blind and falling over and talking to the wall thinking there was someone in front of him. terribly unerotic sex scene thrown in there for good measure

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back