What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

1049image11279137744.jpg

This is one of those kung fu films where everyone can fly, a dude can kill people with his laugh and a girl who sticks her finger in a snake's bladder gets magic laser finger shooting power. Highly entertaining.

we-are-what-we-are-quad-596x450.jpg

It had potential but dropped the ball. Shouldn't have been so dull though there was one or 2 entertaining moments. The print I watched was dark as fuck too.

Made In Dagenham

watch-made-in-dagenham-online.jpg

I had been reading Mark Kermode during the week and he was raving about this.
It was very good.

An absolutely fabulous bit of acting by Sally Hawkins.
I was less convinced by Miranda Richardson.

All the usual actors, Bob Hoskins, Trigger etc.

Made In Dagenham

watch-made-in-dagenham-online.jpg

I had been reading Mark Kermode during the week and he was raving about this.
It was very good.

An absolutely fabulous bit of acting by Sally Hawkins.
I was less convinced by Miranda Richardson.

All the usual actors, Bob Hoskins, Trigger etc.

She's outstanding.

It's great that films like Made in Dagenham are being made, but I thought it was a bit twee, an airbrushing of history. The husbands of those women were a lot more vocally and physically abusive than the movie is willing to show, and the cycling to work stuff was a bit Mary Poppins I thought. But I agree that the acting was great.

It's great that films like Made in Dagenham are being made, but I thought it was a bit twee, an airbrushing of history. The husbands of those women were a lot more vocally and physically abusive than the movie is willing to show, and the cycling to work stuff was a bit Mary Poppins I thought. But I agree that the acting was great.

True but it's more in the Brassed Off, Billy Ballet Boy vein than Ken Loach.
I wouldn't expect a light comedy drama to force that point home too firmly

So I got around to seeing Submarine.

Jill Hives, damn you, I hate when you're correct :mad:

Oh, and people who are making comparisons to Wes Anderson, I can see where they're coming from but I think it's way off the mark.

So I got around to seeing Submarine.

Jill Hives, damn you, I hate when you're correct :mad:

Oh, and people who are making comparisons to Wes Anderson, I can see where they're coming from but I think it's way off the mark.

Wes was in there. As sure as Sue Townsend, Whit Stillman and Nicolas Roeg were, no?

What say you, Hives?

Ah I dunno. I mean you can throw Sue Townsend out for any UK teenage boy anything. She's like saying Tolkien for fantasy. Not saying you're wrong but.... hmm.

Anyway, Wes Anderson is a bit too wacky* to apply I think. I haven't seen all of his stuff but from what I have seen his characters are always oddballs who are happy to be oddballs while I get the impression your man in Submarine would prefer to have been someone else. Maybe that's just a small thing (or maybe I should watch everything before I start making such bold statements) but I really think it completely changes the focus.

Possibly my issue is that while I can see a comparison, I don't really see an influence, which is what people seem to be saying.

Could simply be just the shift from USA to UK though.

* and I don't mean wacky as a euphemism for rubbish

This guy is very like Adrian Mole - loner, bookish nerd with troubled parents.
Holden Caulfield played for laughs essentially.
And isn't Caulfield more of an archetype for teenage boy angst than Mole anyway?

For contrast, the Submarine boy (name?) is unlike the Inbetweeners or the boys on Grange Hill or Skins.
That said, I've seen very little of Skins.

i.e. It's not just that he's a teenage boy, he's a particular type of intelligent, friendless boy.

This guy is very like Adrian Mole - loner, bookish nerd with troubled parents.
Holden Caulfield played for laughs essentially.

nono, you're absolutely correct.

And isn't Caulfield more of an archetype for teenage boy angst than Mole anyway?

I'd say they're both equally influential in the year 2011. If anything Caulfield is a bit outdated. Postmodernism has kind of happened since.

For contrast, the Submarine boy (name?) is unlike the Inbetweeners or the boys on Grange Hill or Skins.

His classmates are almost the very same as in the Inbetweeners. He's just a hell of a lot more likeable than the lead guy in that show. Skins does not apply.

i.e. It's not just that he's a teenage boy, he's a particular type of intelligent, friendless boy.

sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back