What movie did you watch last night? (5 Viewers)

Fifty Dead Men Walking.
Terrible. For the first hour I could forgive its flaws but the climax is just so retarded I couldn't keep a straight face. Decent in places but once yer wan from Charmed comes into the picture it gets laughable. A hardened IRA bomber using the phrase "parking lot" put me off as well.

50 Dead Men Walking is amazing. The only bad thing about the whole film is Rose "I would definitely have been in the IRA" McGowan.
It's based on a true story, what is retarded about the climax?

I liked the shoot-out in the Front Page, shithole that it is, I just wish someone would go in there and shoot the fuck out of it.

50 Dead Men Walking is amazing. The only bad thing about the whole film is Rose "I would definitely have been in the IRA" McGowan.
It's based on a true story, what is retarded about the climax?

Well I have read the book so perhaps I was coming at it from a certain perspective. They change a whole load of stuff to shoehorn it into two well worn hollywood plot devices. Sure McGartland himself tried to stop them from showing it.

The whole thing about Fergus going rogue and the meeting between the other special branch guy and the IRA interrogator is fabricated. There may be certain instances where that is true, and lower operatives were sometimes sacrficied to protect people like Stakeknife, but as a dramatic device I just felt it was faintly ridiclous. I should add I thought it was a serviceable enough thriller in parts though and I am probably too much a Troubles buff to just relax and enjoy it

51PWP3SQ86L._SS500_.jpg

Watched this last night.Was ok,not as good as the original BBC one(which I'm gonna watch tonight).

DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY B!!!!! TOTALLY AMAZING!!!

At the very start, when he is after falling from the helicopter from the end of the first film, and he bounces off the car and hits the ground, I was thinking "jesus that's fucking stupid, they'd have to shovel him off the ground after a fall like that".

Next thing on of the chinamen gets out of the van with a big shovel.

:)

Well I have read the book so perhaps I was coming at it from a certain perspective. They change a whole load of stuff to shoehorn it into two well worn hollywood plot devices. Sure McGartland himself tried to stop them from showing it.

The whole thing about Fergus going rogue and the meeting between the other special branch guy and the IRA interrogator is fabricated. There may be certain instances where that is true, and lower operatives were sometimes sacrficied to protect people like Stakeknife, but as a dramatic device I just felt it was faintly ridiclous. I should add I thought it was a serviceable enough thriller in parts though and I am probably too much a Troubles buff to just relax and enjoy it

Yeah I was aware of that, and McGartland is definitely right to take issue with aspects of the film like that.

Also, the meeting between the other two guys could have happened for all we know, as I recall it recently came out that the British did have another informer who was high up in the IRA chain of command. It takes liberties sure but I doubt the real truth of what happened with those kind of things will ever actually come out.

But aside from those things, which as far as the film goes are pretty much minor plot details, I thought it was brilliant, and very realistic about how things were around that time.

crank-high-voltage-20080827111655010_640w.jpg

Either
A: One of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen
or
B: One of the best; most over the top; deliberately, unasahamadely and exuberantly crass and puerile things I have ever seen. Brilliant.

Yup. Don't forget surreal.

They really just went out and decided to have fun with it, didn't they?

There was 8 people in the theatre yesterday and I still gave it a clap at the end.
Good stuff.

1843-in_the_loop.jpg

Good laugh.
It helped that the audience in the cinema obviously knew what they were in for & were laughing loads.

Had some very Partidge/Gervais moments at times.

Heard a review on the radio during the week & part of the clip they played (with Steve Coogan) wasn't in the film which was a bit disappointing.
Must've been a press release before the final edit or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back