What movie did you watch last night? (5 Viewers)

It wasn't a bad movie but didn't deserve all the Golden Globes it won.

I agree. It's pretty good like but there's a load of holes in the story and it's a typical unrealistic load of nonsense "feel-good" film in that sense. The Indian version of Chris Tarrant is the best thing about it, he's amazing.

To put it simply, I saw this the same night as I saw JCVD, and which film did I post up in the thread?

I don't know that they were claiming anything of the sort.
It's a feature, not a documentary.

Slumdog-Millionaire-001.jpg

Q. "What does it take to find a lost love?"
A. D - Destiny

I don't know that they were claiming anything of the sort.
It's a feature, not a documentary.

The movie started with a multiple choice question asking how did he win the money.
At the end it tells us that the answer is:

D. It is written.

I know it's a movie but it's a movie that shows the stark realities of life in India. The addition of a ridiculous notion of "Destiny" didn't sit well with me.

The fact that the main character gets millions of rupees & the girl of his dreams while everyone around him suffers didn't make me feel good or believe that destiny is a plausible notion.

I'm sure the kid who was blinded & made to beg in the train station would be delighted to know that his "destiny" was to tell Jamal that Ben Franklin was on the $100 bill.

I would have been perfectly happy if they had left the story with Jamal answering all the questions because his fucked up life had given him the answers.

Coincidences do happen (I liked Magnolia).

I didn't see the need or point of bringing destiny or fate into it.

The movie started with a multiple choice question asking how did he win the money.

D. It is written.

I know it's a movie but it's a movie that shows the stark realities of life in India. The addition of a ridiculous notion of "Destiny" didn't sit well with me.

The fact that the main character gets millions of rupees & the girl of his dreams while everyone around him suffers didn't make me feel good or believe that destiny is a plausible notion.

I'm sure the kid who was blinded & made to beg in the train station would be delighted to know that his "destiny" was to tell Jamal that Ben Franklin was on the $100 bill.

I would have been perfectly happy if they had left the story with Jamal answering all the questions because his fucked up life had given him the answers.

typical Irish begrudgery :)

pretty good, ending was a bit abrupt, deadly acting by the lead man, who plays a schizophrenic.
4152Q5GKZ8L_SL500.jpg

If that impressed you check out Kerrigan's first film which is possibly even more subjective (unreal sound design) Clean, Shaven which has a powerful performance by Peter Greene as a er, schizophrenic. Also.Criterion in the States do a good version of it. I was devastated by Keane when I saw it in the ifi.
Theres also Claire Dolan inbetween those releases, which had the late great Katrin Cartlidge in it. But I ain't seen it.

I watched Diary of a Country Priest last night. Quite a moving film.

D. It is written.

They no more claim that destiny is a real thing than Into The West claims that mystical horses in tune with the spirits of the dead exist.
These notions exist in the movie, or maybe only the character's head. Like most films, there's a suspension of disbelief required.
The movie gets the idea out there up front, so you're supposed to know where you stand. It's on the fecking poster and all.
You either buy in, or you don't.
I liked it, and I can be quite cynical.

I don't know anyone else that walked out saying "Wow, so destiny is actually a real thing that controls our lives!"

They no more claim that destiny is a real thing than Into The West claims that mystical horses in tune with the spirits of the dead exist.
These notions exist in the movie, or maybe only the character's head. Like most films, there's a suspension of disbelief required.
The movie gets the idea out there up front, so you're supposed to know where you stand. It's on the fecking poster and all.
You either buy in, or you don't.
I liked it, and I can be quite cynical.

I don't know anyone else that walked out saying "Wow, so destiny is actually a real thing that controls our lives!"

They couldn't have made it more obvious.
They printed on the screen that he won the money because "it is written" which pretty much removes the possibility that it was in his head.

Thought it made the ending pointlessly "meaningful".

"Wow, so destiny is actually a real thing that controls our lives!"

Were you following me cos that's like totally what I said when I came out!
No shit!
FOR REEEEEEAAAALL!

Juno

now I know what is responsible for all those ads that feature women singing like little girls

didn't like it at all, trying too hard to be "cool", awful music, unrealistic dialogue

It annoyed the b'jaysus outta me that the Jason Bateman character was meant ot be this cool muso guy who's band supported for The Melvins (or some such band) but had never heard of The Stooges :rolleyes:

I saw this last night and although it lost a bit of it's kick from seeing it in the cinema it is still an amazing film and both leads are fantastic in it
ThereWillBeBloodMoviePoster.jpg

They couldn't have made it more obvious.
They printed on the screen that he won the money because "it is written" which pretty much removes the possibility that it was in his head.

Thought it made the ending pointlessly "meaningful".

"Wow, so destiny is actually a real thing that controls our lives!"

Were you following me cos that's like totally what I said when I came out!
No shit!
FOR REEEEEEAAAALL!

Well, it's what you posted.

No, I said that I DIDN"T believe in it & found it's inclusion in the plot of the movie to be pointless.

It's not really whether you believed it or not or how pointless you felt its inclusion was.
You said the movie claimed it to be real. The movie claimed no such thing.

It's essentially a fairy tale set in a modern slum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back