What movie did you watch last night? (23 Viewers)

'Nobody' on Netflix. Its like a cross between Home Alone and Grand Theft Auto.

Really good stuff and the bus scene is one of the most satisfying scenes ever.

Doc Brown is in good form.

Watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Story also reminded me a bunch of A History of Violence but much more fun.

Guardians of The Galaxy vol 3. IMAX 3d. Really liked it. Very grim and depressing and sad in places, but also very funny and even though it's the final part of the Trilogy, doesn't go for the obvious ending. They definitely wasted the impact of the very first use of the dreaded F word in a Marvel movie by having it (bleeped out) in a trailer. Has a really impressive "single take" (yes, I know) fight in a corridor scene. And a nice soundtrack too - Beastie Boys, FNM, Replacements....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice long Oppenheimer trailer before it too. Looks great.

Guardians of The Galaxy vol 3. IMAX 3d. Really liked it. Very grim and depressing and sad in places, but also very funny and even though it's the final part of the Trilogy, doesn't go for the obvious ending. They definitely wasted the impact of the very first use of the dreaded F word in a Marvel movie by having it (bleeped out) in a trailer. Has a really impressive "single take" (yes, I know) fight in a corridor scene. And a nice soundtrack too - Beastie Boys, FNM, Replacements....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice long Oppenheimer trailer before it too. Looks great.

i loved it, man
It was moving.
the last groot line seemed off til i thought about it, and even that was special
we're finally close enough to him to understand what he's saying. we're all family now. still wish it wasn't vin diesel, but what are ya gonna do?

even that end credit scene had me welling up.

gunn is pretty amazing it has to be said

i loved it, man
It was moving.
the last groot line seemed off til i thought about it, and even that was special
yeah i wouldn't have copped what was happening if it wasn't for the scene with gamora before it

definitely one of the better post-credits scenes in a marvel movie because of what it isn't...

but it was very boring and very sweet

yeah i wouldn't have copped what was happening if it wasn't for the scene with gamora before it

definitely one of the better post-credits scenes in a marvel movie because of what it isn't...

but it was very boring and very sweet
I think it's about his Dad
Gunn lost his Dad a few years back, and it's the kind of moment you'd want with someone you lost.
He dedicated the film to him.

I think that's at least part of what's going on there.
Might be projecting.

I just watched Escape to Victory, or "RockyBall: The Prequel".

Never seen it before but had heard of this mad movie. I'd forgotten Pelé was in it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some serious extra-wrangling going on.

Today I saw How to Blow up a Pipeline which I would call a procedural thriller about eco-terrorism, loosely based on the (non-fiction) Andreas Malm book of the same name. I thought this was excellent, it's a very well constructed tense thriller which feels realistic and makes you think hard about the very thorny subject matter without it feeling like an obvious polemic.

Also recently saw the Dungeons and Dragons movie, which was entertaining garbage.. sort of like if you took the Lord of the Rings movies and ran them through the Marvel movies dialogue/plot algorithm. I'd missed Hugh Grant's transition into hammy villain roles, suits him quite well.

That Dungeons and Dragons film is a good laugh, which basically translates as they actually did a pretty good job there.

Today I saw Sick Of Myself, which is about a narcissistic woman in a 'competitive relationship' (her boyfriend is a dickhead artist basically) who makes herself sick to one-up him. It's very funny, but the concept is kind of worn thin by the latter stages of the film and the film just kind of peters out at the end. Very funny though for the most part, and very dark.

Return to Seoul.
Adopted French woman goes to Seoul and starts to explore her Korean heritage.
It's a film all about alienation and culture shock really, kind of a slight Lost In Translation vibe about it.
Very good film, bit of a slow mover but it's very solidly engaging.

Carmen
Was expecting some magical realistic dancing opera, which is was a little bit.

But what I was not expecting was an early scene with a boxer silhouetted punching a heavy bag and I thought "This guy looks like a pugilistic Paul Mescal"
And it was a fucking pugilistic Paul Mescal!

He's good in it.
The movie is fucking gorgeous. It was like a dream. Loved every minute tbh.

Carmen
Was expecting some magical realistic dancing opera, which is was a little bit.

But what I was not expecting was an early scene with a boxer silhouetted punching a heavy bag and I thought "This guy looks like a pugilistic Paul Mescal"
And it was a fucking pugilistic Paul Mescal!

He's good in it.
The movie is fucking gorgeous. It was like a dream. Loved every minute tbh.
Car men?

1683721786314.jpeg

Guardians of the Mehlaxy.
It is a pretty good film, but only in that it prioritises relationships over dumb action and it has heart to it; in this aspect it succeeds where many other Marvel films fail. It's still a fairly nonsense film, naturally - this would be poor fare were it not for the somewhat improved dialogue, delivery, and acting, which makes the characters work a bit better. It's a pretty good watch though, it mostly works for what it is.
Interesting note: There's a really poor cut after a big action scene, the cut is far too quick and interrupts the pacing, rare to see that in this kind of well-oiled machine.
The soundtrack: Fucking shit, despite the presence of some great songs. There's a bit with Dido's Lament, which is of course an amazing piece of music, but whilst its use may seem appropriate to a casual ear, it's actually a shit way to use that piece, the context is all wrong, but it's funny because it's almost right - it just isn't though.
Anyway aside from that, lots of fucking shit songs that are very annoying in placement, some good songs that are still annoying in placement. TARANTINO HAS A LOT TO ANSWER FOR - except he doesn't really, it's not his fault that he knows how to pace his films with the music, and Marvel don't. (The final song used is an exception which is a good choice and well paced).
The worst thing about the soundtrack - the actual composed music is grand and works well! So why not just fucking stick with that instead of constantly inserting 'retro' shit??

Best bit of the film - there's a very short Michael Rooker cameo which is great, cause Michael Rooker fuckin rules and it's one of the very well-timed bits of the film.
Actually when I think about it, it's almost like this film was directed by two different people - an amateur that did most of the film and got a lot of things wrong, and a pro that got the bits they did right. Odd that way, maybe it's almost a case of some of the CGI stuff being done by good people and some of it being done by shitter people.

I started Memoria. intriguing but i wasn't in the mood for it

watched Memoria last night

pro:
- Amazing slow-cinema painterly cinematography — visually stunning
- Formally innovative — no music score, but sound is central to the whole thing
- Tilda Swinton keeps a lid on her Tilda-Swinton-ness and delivers a great performance

con:
- Let’s call it plotless. That’s generally thrown around as an insult, but in this case it’s a movie that seems to revel in its plotlessness in a sort of Beckettian way — so maybe this is actually a pro
- Relies on building up a sense of cosmic mystery that it doesn’t quite pull off

spoiler con:
- One single scene at the end of the movie was, I thought, a way too neat-and-tidy way of sewing the whole thing up, even if it was an attempt to invoke a cinematic trope... I’ll say no more

Guardians of the Mehlaxy.
It is a pretty good film, but only in that it prioritises relationships over dumb action and it has heart to it; in this aspect it succeeds where many other Marvel films fail. It's still a fairly nonsense film, naturally - this would be poor fare were it not for the somewhat improved dialogue, delivery, and acting, which makes the characters work a bit better. It's a pretty good watch though, it mostly works for what it is.
Interesting note: There's a really poor cut after a big action scene, the cut is far too quick and interrupts the pacing, rare to see that in this kind of well-oiled machine.
The soundtrack: Fucking shit, despite the presence of some great songs. There's a bit with Dido's Lament, which is of course an amazing piece of music, but whilst its use may seem appropriate to a casual ear, it's actually a shit way to use that piece, the context is all wrong, but it's funny because it's almost right - it just isn't though.
Anyway aside from that, lots of fucking shit songs that are very annoying in placement, some good songs that are still annoying in placement. TARANTINO HAS A LOT TO ANSWER FOR - except he doesn't really, it's not his fault that he knows how to pace his films with the music, and Marvel don't. (The final song used is an exception which is a good choice and well paced).
The worst thing about the soundtrack - the actual composed music is grand and works well! So why not just fucking stick with that instead of constantly inserting 'retro' shit??

Best bit of the film - there's a very short Michael Rooker cameo which is great, cause Michael Rooker fuckin rules and it's one of the very well-timed bits of the film.
Actually when I think about it, it's almost like this film was directed by two different people - an amateur that did most of the film and got a lot of things wrong, and a pro that got the bits they did right. Odd that way, maybe it's almost a case of some of the CGI stuff being done by good people and some of it being done by shitter people.

Yeah, I loved it. The relationships, the loyalty. Most of my friend groups are lucky bags of nerds and socially awkward heads and jocks and scientists and so on, and they are all beautiful people, and we all look out for each other.
I couldn't help but see the story through that lens, so it slayed me a little more than I expected.

The music was slightly on the heavy-handed side, and super rock-centric/white.
Gimme some funk or hip-hop now that we're out of the 70s. Was there like one Earth Wind & Fire track? Everything else, white dudes on guitar.

Kind of didn't like how they called Drax stupid a lot - if it's been broadcast that he's "autism-coded" or whatever the phrase is, then to openly call him an idiot, seems a disservice to those kids that have bought in to that. Or maybe I am a big sappy man-girl.

These small concerns aside, I loved it.

Gonna say it again. That breakfast scene at the end, is 100% Gunn with his recently-deceased Dad and it melted me. I don't even care if Gunn himself denies this. That's what it was. Getting a chance for one more chat with your Dad. Hit me like Haneke.

The set up to Groot's last line was killer, and also got me (but only like an hour later when I thought about it, I thought it was odd in the moment)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back