What do you really think... (1 Viewer)

agree, my contribution to the scene is putting on fast bands and playing in fast bands:) I certainly wish i had more time to be more involved in the other stuff that goes with the whole DIY buzz... zines, political stuff.

Anyway back to the original post... kinda

What is the scene like in Ireland compared to other places with a similiar population and geography?

But that's the great part of the DIY scene, you don't have to adopt everything or be part of absolutely everything to be an important part of it. What I love is that there's an interest in preventing a whole band/audience thing from occurring, and that the people who go to gigs are just as important for keepign the scene alive as the people who organise or play them.

What someone else loves is putting on awesome fast HC music that, while not necessarily being the music I want to see anymore, I'm glad it's still part of the world I live in.

As for other places, I can't tell you about similar population and geography, or even what it's like now because I've only really lived in IReland in recent years. But, while I think there's a lot more going on in other cities, I think Ireland's scene is pretty friendly, so an outsider (or even quasi-insider) has better access to what's happening. But in Boston in the 1990s, there were rival scenes that actually used to beat the shit out of each other on a regular basis. You couldn't go to a show and assume it was probably gonna be a godo time because you never knew if a bunch of shitty skinheads were gonna show up and beat people up for wearing jerseys they didn't like, or if it was gonna turn so violent that the entire venue would be shut down. It was absolutely awful. I know the Irish scene doesn't always seem as lively as might be ideal, but Christ, at least people don't actively wish harm on other DIY people.

I completely missed this point when I first read through this thread, but I think it's pretty important. I mean, some bands 'make it' by accident, and some want to, etc. I've always been a bit sad that once someone tries to 'make it' the DIY scene doesn't have a very good record of re-accepting them, maybe, I dunno, to save face after having called them a sell-out.

You get bands playing 'secret' gigs in small venues maybe partly for this reason, they miss the intimacy of the DIY gig and this is the closest thing their management can think to do. Maybe because that management has a 'relationship' with corporate promoters that would be threatened by booking the band to play a DIY gig just for fun. But I also think that the DIY scene facilitates that by not always being very nice about bands becoming successful.

The other thing that happens is ince the band gets shit from the once comfortable diy scene they don't want to go back and it all becomes a vicious circle. It's happenned so many times. I'm sure somtimes it was the band and sometimes the diy scene that was at fault but it's a shame either way.

The other thing that happens is ince the band gets shit from the once comfortable diy scene they don't want to go back and it all becomes a vicious circle. It's happenned so many times. I'm sure somtimes it was the band and sometimes the diy scene that was at fault but it's a shame either way.

Yeah, it's a real bummer, like this big disfunctional family that actually doesn't hate each other, but everyone's too proud and just tries to save face. And then the kids move out and the parents turn their bedrooms into a study and a sewing room and no one wants to admit they miss hanging out. Instead, everyone eats Christmas dinner by themselves.

Jaysus, first the wine bar analogy, now the sad-faced family, what's next...?

I'm gonna get a lot of shit for saying this personally, divisions in the scene don't bother me at all.I personally don't feel like I have anything in common with , say, the folks who post on Moshspace, or Punk for It, in terms of musical taste or anything else. And I'm not going to go out of my way at this point in my life to support something I don't feel any connection to or enjoy musically, I have neither the money or time to do so. I KNOW a bunch of other folks feel the same way about this, but noone ever says it.
Er lol......I for one am always saying this as anyone here will tell you, I say it here and at the gigs.
I decided a while back to cutback on what I attend because it got to the stage where I was just attending stuff and the music was so not Punk that it was depressing me.
And how that forum Punk4it can use that name is totally crazy........
Least here it is Punk/HC and maybe the odd bit of "non complaint" stuff but PFI is 95% not a Punk site.
If they want to keep the initials maybe retitle it "Pop4it".
:cool:

Er lol......I for one am always saying this as anyone here will tell you, I say it here and at the gigs.
I decided a while back to cutback on what I attend because it got to the stage where I was just attending stuff and the music was so not Punk that it was depressing me.
And how that forum Punk4it can use that name is totally crazy........
Least here it is Punk/HC and maybe the odd bit of "non complaint" stuff but PFI is 95% not a Punk site.
If they want to keep the initials maybe retitle it "Pop4it".
:cool:

But punk was never a style of music, there's always been a really broad definition. Hardcore vaguely was, but even that quickly developed so many subgenres that it eventually collapsed into itself, and everything was just 'hardcore' once again.

Trying to put tight controls on who or what is permitted to be called 'punk' is neither productive nor interesting.

Been discussed a few times before and not a whole lot came of it. Possible the timing was wrong,possibly the interest is just not there outside Dublin,Galway,Cork,Belfast. And from what I've experienced more recently and heard from others belfast isn't exactly thriving the way it once was(Janer's opinion excluded)

I
I meant compared to proper Punk in Dublin.
:)

But punk was never a style of music, there's always been a really broad definition. Hardcore vaguely was, but even that quickly developed so many subgenres that it eventually collapsed into itself, and everything was just 'hardcore' once again.

Trying to put tight controls on who or what is permitted to be called 'punk' is neither productive nor interesting.
I disagree, I know what is Punk in my own little world so to speak and what Daniel said earlier on I am like we say 50% again on what I call Punk.

Then again I do realise I am too extreme in my view and of course I have tried to listen to a bit more than Punk such as HC and some types of metal but...........

I disagree, I know what is Punk in my own little world so to speak and what Daniel said earlier on I am like we say 50% again on what I call Punk.

Then again I do realise I am too extreme in my view and of course I have tried to listen to a bit more than Punk such as HC and some types of metal but...........

That's fine if you want to have your own personal definition of 'punk', but it seems a bit silly to suggest that other people's use of it should be restricted because of it.

we all know the sort of 'sound' you are referring to when you use the term 'punk', but it's a word that means a whole lot more. It has a long and complex history and has meant different things at different times to different people. And that's one of the cool things about it, that the definition of the word itself is kind of punk as fuck. Which is precisely why you can't really try to put controls on who uses it and how.

If you only like music that has a particular type of sound, that's fine, those are your tastes, but it doesn't mean you can clamp a barbed wire fence around that and say that only things that fall within it are called 'punk', so designated because you like them. It's just that your musical tastes mirror your worldview, when punk as a concept is as changeable as the scenes themselves.

you are the most conservative person i have ever met who refers to themselves as a "punk" though.

Nope, i was at the Dublin gig. You filmed us ( Only Fumes & Corpses) and put it on you tube. The old memory must be gettin a bit rusty with the aul age eh? ;):p
I am renowned for having no memory :p
Have just slapped in the Oi Polloi gig and running time is 40 minutes.
I wanted 65 minutes!!!!

Janer,please split the following bands ionto punk and non punk

Undertones
Buzzcocks
Killing Joke
Joy Division
Stooges
Sonics
Talking Heads
New York Dolls
Television
Ramones
The Ruts
Discharge
The Clash
Dr Feelgood
The Jam
Cock Sparrer
Count Bishops
Boomtown Rats
Stranglers
X Ray Spex

Thanks for taking part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back