What do these turf cutters really want? (1 Viewer)

a colleague owns a house in carna in connemara, and lets it out to people he knows. a german colleague went down with his parents and parents in law (all german), and ran out of turf when they were there. they were very impressed at the generosity of the locals, leaving their turf piled at the side of the road for people to help themselves to, and loaded up.

the chap who owns the house got a couple of angry phone calls about it.

Caused by, no, largely undertaken by, yes. And if they were just holiday homes it wouldn't be such a problem, but it's permanent migrants that cause the most trouble. They move down to the countryside because they can build a bigger (out of place) house, without any concept or understanding of country life. They see vegetables, fruit and other crops growing in fields and think nothing of helping themselves (and doing damage in the process).

One 'neighbour' of my parents systematically "hunted" and shot my fathers domestic ducks (egg laying). We initially thought it was a fox until we caught the bastard at it one day. And he wasn't even eating them, to add further insult to injury.

My Dad planted quite a bit of managed forestry (for environmental reasons and as a source of future income) and the same jerk family have been caught twice cutting down our young trees for firewood! We have to PAY for the saplings, and it costs money to plant them.

I think they'd be pretty unhappy if the local farmers decided that their hedge would be good for fence posts and cut it down in the middle of the night.

Have your family and the neighbour not reported thid to the Garda? We're talking about criminal acts here.

Dublin Guards, yeah. The country's lousy with those. I love their fake bogger accents too.

The people building houses outside the pale are mostly country people themselves, getting permission to build on agricultural land for their offspring and then selling on as soon as they can. Or just getting it rezoned via the brown paper bag.
They've destroyed the countryside they claim to love.

Country people are the ones that have always supported the church and Fianna Fail, the two institutions that have fucked this country raw. Both literally and figuratively.
Prayer to shivering prayer and vote to shivering vote. A fucking joke of a country run by its most ignorant and myopic.

Same with the turf cutters - "We still want to do what we did 100 years ago when we didn't know any better and no one else gets a say"
Fuck them. Ignorant backward cunts.

Deadmanposting, what bullshit, but wouldn't expect much better from you. There are so many inaccuracies and fallicies in your few paragraphs it would take an essay to correct them, and frankly you're not worth the time or energy.

You're not even living in Ireland these days are you? Do us all a favour and stay in the US.

Aye Dublin people never voted for Bertie Ahern, twas all the country folk the whole time. Denis O'Brien is a bogger too? I really didn't know Ballsbridge was in the countryside...

Yep, I guess it depends on the area, all the farms around Dad's have been owned by the same families for generations so they know each other all their lives, meaning that it's only blow-ins that cause problems.

Is it reasonable for a few people to expect to own land indefinitely and to keep it and pass it on among themselves? I'm not sure what i think about it but it seems that being a farmer requires a massive sense of entitlement to something that most people in their flats or semi-ds could never aspire to.

I thought FG were traditionally the farmer/landowner party

Aye Dublin people never voted for Bertie Ahern, twas all the country folk the whole time. Denis O'Brien is a bogger too? I really didn't know Ballsbridge was in the countryside...

There have been pockets of perniciousness no doubt, but Dublin has traditionally been weak for Fianna Fail. They currently have zero TDs in Dublin if I'm right.
The opposite with Labour. Strong in Dublin, can't get a culchie vote to save their lives.
FF made strides in BAC when the boom was happening but they've always been the farmers party.

O'Brien is a bogger though I think. Cork?
And aided and abetted by the emblem of pure boggery cute-hoorism Michael Lowry.
At least we kick ours out when they're caught, it's the way of the country people to give them a landslide back in.
"He may be a corrupt son of a bitch conman, but he's a local lad and I knew his father"

The "fucking hideous mansions" appearing all over the countryside are mostly being built by fuckers from Dublin

While Im sure there are some Dubliners living in these crimes against architecture/the environment I can't accept that they are built by them,
look at somewhere like county Wicklow,unless your a local its nigh on impossible to get planning permission to build yet the whole county is riddled with such 'houses'.
As for the rest of your post I don't know enough to comment apart from to say that shitty behaviour is universal.

most of the eyesores in donegal are built/owned by donegal people, bar some coastal towns where it was predominantly well to do people from eastern ulster. the donegal folk often would split the neighbouring patch of land (that they own) in to three sites, sell two and use the profit to build oversize house. now its recession, a lot of these folks have left the country, so its just big mansion shells all over the gaff and people freezing in one room of them. in personal terms its a failure of foresight on any level, on county terms the planning office really, really fucked up. it pretty much should be illegal to build in donegal at this stage, just like in the yorkshire dales where you cant build unless it looks like something out of the shire.

A friend of mine heard Ming Flanagan's da on the radio the other day going on about turf cutting. Apparently he said "What use is flora and fauna to me? You can't eat a flora and fauna sandwich!"

<slaps forehead>

(in case this isn't immediately clear to anyone reading, if you eat a sandwich made from anything BUT flora and/or fauna then you will probably have a hard time of it, whether that thing is useful to you or not)

Very few Irish people - dubs, townies or culshies - have any idea that there is such a thing as reality. There's only "I WANT", and facts are just random sounds you've heard from people who agree with you that you shout at people who don't

(maybe it's the same in other countries, I don't know)

49939_100001966110694_3338429_n.jpg

in fifty years time, the entire country will be a large empty concrete yard with a battered 'to let' sign hanging outside.

there's talk again about selling forestry rights (rather than forests), which will attract 'international attention' - even though the very economic basis of forestry in this part of the world is dubious.

Kinda surprised there's no mention of moss peat in this thread yet. Very popular with the city folk that stuff. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back