What do these turf cutters really want? (3 Viewers)

yeah

great photos- I posted this before but worth another look. I'm in there too
http://www.rachelbrownphoto.com/html/Donegal.html

Hai johnnystress

Don14.jpg

I got a call from TG4 about a possible 'where are they now' documentary about the kids in this photo

The woman was incredulous that I couldn't speak Irish well

the shame

''Michael The Post'' died some years back

Wouldn't fancy climbing Errigal in this terrible weather

I still haven't climbed it

the shame

I got a call from TG4 about a possible 'where are they now' documentary about the kids in this photo

The woman was incredulous that I couldn't speak Irish well

the shame

Fucking galegores (deliberate misspelling it annoys them) with their leprechaun lingo. SOME of the galegores use their leprechaun lingo to keep travellers and immigrants from getting housing in "gaeltacht areas".

Thing is everyone else in that picture is a fluent Irish speaker..some of these kids couldn't speak English when they went to school. The language is a real thing to them, not some affectation or crutch or misty eyed throwback to a bygone era.

I don't think there's any rush form travellers or immigrants to move to the biggest unemployment black hole in the north west

also

Keep off our bogs!

Fucking galegores (deliberate misspelling it annoys them) with their leprechaun lingo. SOME of the galegores use their leprechaun lingo to keep travellers and immigrants from getting housing in "gaeltacht areas".

There's a law in place that only Irish speakers can buy in certain gaeltacht areas, but its largely resented by locals as it drives down demand/price of houses. A lot of people out in Connemara were raging they couldn't sell sites/houses on otherwise unproductive land. I don't think it was brought in with xenophobia in mind, just that if you're going to have a gaeltacht you kinda need to have people speaking Irish in it.

There's a law in place that only Irish speakers can buy in certain gaeltacht areas, but its largely resented by locals as it drives down demand/price of houses. A lot of people out in Connemara were raging they couldn't sell sites/houses on otherwise unproductive land. I don't think it was brought in with xenophobia in mind, just that if you're going to have a gaeltacht you kinda need to have people speaking Irish in it.

the bonus being is that you don't have to live with travellers and immigrants.

Meh, I've heard tell of Irish-speaking Poles out in the Gaeltacht. They just get on with it.

If you could have your pick of the immigrants, you'd have to go with the Poles.

Hard-working, hard-drinking and with gorgeous women.

If Des Bishop can do it, how hard can it really be?

I have spent a lot of gaeltacht time in Rann Na Feirste as a younger lad.

There was a bunch of punks that used to sing "Ra Ra Ra Ra Rann Na Feirste" to the tune of Barbed Wire Love when we were there.

That kind of thing impressed me then.

If you could have your pick of the immigrants, you'd have to go with the Poles.

Hard-working, hard-drinking and with gorgeous women.

I don't give a shite to be honest, most people from everywhere aren't pricks most of the time. I just don't like seeing a law that was implemented for a good enough intention used to denigrate the people who live in those areas, considering many in those areas were/are opposed to it. Would that there had been more restrictions on house building and selling outside the Gaeltacht throughout the past few decades.

Thing is everyone else in that picture is a fluent Irish speaker..some of these kids couldn't speak English when they went to school. The language is a real thing to them, not some affectation or crutch or misty eyed throwback to a bygone era.

I don't think there's any rush form travellers or immigrants to move to the biggest unemployment black hole in the north west

also

Keep off our bogs!

Some of the Gaeltacht areas are on the outskirts of Galway "City". About as Irish speaking as Sherrif Street. They still get to keep Poles, African and Czechs (apart from the grant checks) out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back