What do these turf cutters really want? (1 Viewer)

Is it reasonable for a few people to expect to own land indefinitely and to keep it and pass it on among themselves? I'm not sure what i think about it but it seems that being a farmer requires a massive sense of entitlement to something that most people in their flats or semi-ds could never aspire to.

I thought FG were traditionally the farmer/landowner party

Farming is not a job and a farm is not an asset. Farming is a 24/7 committment, full of risk and with no guarantees. It requires a great deal of investment for small returns. A farm has to be tended constantly, all the while having to deal with whatever the weather throws at you. But, as egg_ made the point, without farming there wouldn't be very much for those people in their flats or semi-d's to eat.

Being a farmer involves a massive committment, personal and financial. You can't take a holiday from a farm. It's a calling rather than a career.

As for politics, not sure what the farmers elsewhere vote, the ones I know used to vote Green or Independent and now feel totally disenfranchised.

most of the eyesores in donegal are built/owned by donegal people, bar some coastal towns where it was predominantly well to do people from eastern ulster. the donegal folk often would split the neighbouring patch of land (that they own) in to three sites, sell two and use the profit to build oversize house. now its recession, a lot of these folks have left the country, so its just big mansion shells all over the gaff and people freezing in one room of them. in personal terms its a failure of foresight on any level, on county terms the planning office really, really fucked up. it pretty much should be illegal to build in donegal at this stage, just like in the yorkshire dales where you cant build unless it looks like something out of the shire.

same in the wilds of laois - lots of farmers/sons daughters built monster gaffs on the family land during the boom, all staning round half finished.

country people are every bit as thick as dublin people. and vise versa(i feel having spent half my life in each environment). the true blue salt a de earth northside dubs voted for bertie and charlie again and again and again and probably still would if the cash hadnt dried up..

^^^

Ireland is still a tribal nation, so even if they royally fucked up the best opportunity in history to bring ireland fully first world, they are still all cousins and intermarried politically and therefore without some sort of cull, the tribe survives - same for the core support of all parties.

the healthiest thing ireland can do is for everyone to become clinically apolitical.

Now this is in my head

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I find don't hate it as much as I did when I was a lad

Apparently he said "What use is flora and fauna to me? You can't eat a flora and fauna sandwich!"
low-fat-margarine-flora-ultra-light.jpg

Your move, Mr. Flanagan.

Farming is not a job and a farm is not an asset. Farming is a 24/7 committment, full of risk and with no guarantees. It requires a great deal of investment for small returns. A farm has to be tended constantly, all the while having to deal with whatever the weather throws at you. But, as egg_ made the point, without farming there wouldn't be very much for those people in their flats or semi-d's to eat.

Being a farmer involves a massive committment, personal and financial. You can't take a holiday from a farm. It's a calling rather than a career.

As for politics, not sure what the farmers elsewhere vote, the ones I know used to vote Green or Independent and now feel totally disenfranchised.

Farm land is as much of an asset as anything else surely. I see what you're saying about the vocation but at the same time for the most part it's a vocational opportunity available only to those whose parents own a farm. The same is true of many things obviously, like a kingdom or whatever, but the land itself is such a fundamental national asset that it doesn't seem entirely sensible that it's tied up by such a small portion of the population. It's not that I have my eye on your inheritance its just that I have a vision of relieving the overcrowded cities by setting city folk loose with their own patch of land and turning the whole exercise into a feelgood movie. I can see it now...

City folk wouldn't know what to do with rural land. But the culchie farmers it'd be nettles as far as the eye could see, much like my own field.

The CAP has the farmers well taken care of, don't kid yourselves.

Subsidised up the hoo-ha and all they do is moan.

this is half my take a couple of weeks ago before it was footed.
456828_10150815341467105_2062897121_o.jpg

Cheap as chips and much better for us all than shipping oil from half way around the world to keep the ole generators going/ I'd say a lot less frogs were killed too.
1 tractor laid it out, and the rest was a bunch of back breaking work, by myself, to get it to a point where it can be stuck into a burner to heat mah home, hot water, dry my clothes etc.

Shaney; somewhere along the line those families with farms had to purchase them, they weren't gifts of the state. When my Dad "inherited" the farm he had to take out a very sizeable mortgage to pay the inheritance tax and we lived in near poverty for a long time until it was cleared. If you sell the land you reduce your potential income.

Some people who relocate to the countryside do so sympathetically. Another 'immigrant' neighbour keeps ducks, hens, 5 beehives and a vegetable patch on his half acre. He swaps eggs and honey for milk, fruit and meat.

Many city folk don't even make good use of their own gardens, paving over them or concreting them, what would they do with a few acres of land in the countryside? You'd be amazed what you can grow in window boxes, or on a balcony, if you have the inclination, but the truth is that most people don't have the inclination.

Every year my parents issue an open invitation to all their acquaintances to come and pick fruit and take as much as they'd like (apples, damsons, plums, gooseberries, currants and even some pears, and raspberries). Very few people take them up on the offer. It's too much like hard work. And that's the easy bit, harvesting the results. Planting, pruning, mowing around the bushes and trees, that all takes time and effort with only potential results.

I've brought down friends and acquaintances from time to time too. If you fancy a trip to the countryside to harvest some fruit in a couple of months I'm sure you'd be very welcome :)

well its a good thing nobody told shell about the turf. the idiots drove straight past it, went digging about the sea for gas or something instead!! lols @ shell ftw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back