What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

I'm double booked; The Heart of the Matter by Greene (which I am loving) and Molloy, Malone Dies and The Unnameable by Beckett. Has anyone read the Beckett trilogy? Give me a framework dudes, I'm struggling to get a foothold, seemingly anything solid is completely undercut and rendered meaningless by the next sentence, is this the idea? Or at least that's the impression I am getting from the first few pages of Molloy.

I'm double booked; The Heart of the Matter by Greene (which I am loving) and Molloy, Malone Dies and The Unnameable by Beckett. Has anyone read the Beckett trilogy? Give me a framework dudes, I'm struggling to get a foothold, seemingly anything solid is completely undercut and rendered meaningless by the next sentence, is this the idea? Or at least that's the impression I am getting from the first few pages of Molloy.

Molloy is made up of two internal monologues- the eponymous ah, hero and the fastidious detective who pursues him. When you get to grips with the structure and Beck's paired-down prose style you'll be laughing. Almost. Literally.

Only a few interviews in. I read one last night which he did for a UK magazine after Nighthawks at the diner came out and most of his answers were snippits from the then unrecorded, at the time being written, small change.
Yeh i just love his whole approach..the way he'd adopt characters for interviews, or question the interviewer...or just spend the interview reading arcane/esoteric information he'd collected to the interviewer!
Deadly stuff.
Must dig that out and read it again.

I read that trilogy years ago. Couldn't make head nor tail of it.

am taking a hiatus from godel, escher, bach, and have started the stuff of thought by steven pinker.

I saw him do a lecture when he was promoting that book, very entertaining. I have an embarrassing grasp of basic grammatical principles so I think I would find the book a bit too much like hard work. But he's hugely entertaining.

I'm half way through http://musicophilia.com/ by oliver sacks, enjoying it enormously. Deaf people with in-skull radios, a man of 40 who got hit by lightning and suddenly felt compelled to listen to/play/compose piano music, whereas he had very little music related interest before.

People with perfect pitch being able to tell you the key of a sneeze, or the wind whistling. The brain is only mad.

I'm half way through http://musicophilia.com/ by oliver sacks, enjoying it enormously. Deaf people with in-skull radios, a man of 40 who got hit by lightning and suddenly felt compelled to listen to/play/compose piano music, whereas he had very little music related interest before.

People with perfect pitch being able to tell you the key of a sneeze, or the wind whistling. The brain is only mad.

i'm looking forward to reading that one

Uncle Tungsten - oliver sacks's autobiography. It seems good so far...

i liked all the other oliver sacks books i read but Uncle Tungsten is incredibly tedious.

as a child i loved metals. my favorite metals were such and such. gold was great blah blah skip to page 70 platinum was another deadly metal that i bought in the metal and chemical shop (the likes of which no loner exist) blah blah skip to page 100 as a child i loved the way different chemicals would react to produce different colours in uncle daves laboratory and i soon started experimenting at home. first i mixed flouride with amonia then i mixed blah blah skip to page 140 another of my favorite scientists was blah blah

i dont know if i can read much more of it

i liked all the other oliver sacks books i read but Uncle Tungsten is incredibly tedious.

as a child i loved metals. my favorite metals were such and such. gold was great blah blah skip to page 70 platinum was another deadly metal that i bought in the metal and chemical shop (the likes of which no loner exist) blah blah skip to page 100 as a child i loved the way different chemicals would react to produce different colours in uncle daves laboratory and i soon started experimenting at home. first i mixed flouride with amonia then i mixed blah blah skip to page 140 another of my favorite scientists was blah blah

i dont know if i can read much more of it

I really like Uncle Tungsten - it's like a first cousin to The perodic Table.

He doesn't have the same sense of wonder that Primo Levi has and he is a bit smug about what a bright child he was but it's still a good read.

His best is An Anthropologist On Mars - simply cause of the detail he goes into case by case - I found Tha Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat frustrating as each case was only a couple of pages long.

Rereading Three Men on A Boat. Great altogether
the bit in that where the dog gets attacked by the kettle never fails to make me laugh hysterically. also for some reason the bit at the start where he puts his leg in the jam. good old montmorency.

finished: "watershed" by percivel everitt on saturday and finished "heat" by George Monbiot at Lunch. heat was excellent read. i've lent it to a work colleague now

i have started "stick to the comic, monkey brain" by scott adams (dilbert). it's a collection of his blog posts. good so far.

I really like Uncle Tungsten - it's like a first cousin to The perodic Table.

He doesn't have the same sense of wonder that Primo Levi has and he is a bit smug about what a bright child he was but it's still a good read.

His best is An Anthropologist On Mars - simply cause of the detail he goes into case by case - I found Tha Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat frustrating as each case was only a couple of pages long.

cool I shall check that out next, slowed way down in the pace that I'm getting through musicophilia, college reading rudely interrupted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back