What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

i read Theft: A Love Story by peter carey for christmas day/stevens day. its no Oscar and Lucinda or Illywhacker but a good read all the same. As vivid as any of his books, he's deadly. i started and then abandoned (for the second time) The Burning Tigris about the armenian genocide and moved onto Uncle Tungsten - oliver sacks's autobiography. It seems good so far...

"A star called Henry" by Roddy Doyle - its really good, especially when you live in Dublin, as the story goes here,...You can feel as if you lived in those years (at the beginning of the twentieth century); written in an excellent style!

The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories

61F0UuBDKPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

quality.

This book rules!

I just started Slash's autobiography. It's good. Well written too. He's only 13 at the moment and already up to all sorts!!

Just finished Gore Vidal's bio 'Palimpset'.

Basically 400 pages of well-written gossip. Funny and moving in places.

Margrave of the Marshes, John Peel's autobiography/biography.

So good. I never really got the chance to listen to him when he was alive, just knew he was a legend and saw him on tv things and stuff.

Thats a lovely book. :)

I used to listen to him on medium wave. The static drove our cat nuts.

"the silver swan" by benjamin black, i know it has been said that banville can write these books on autopilot but i enjoyed it much more then "christine falls".

I finally finished Love in the Time of Cholera by gabriel garcia marquez. Like 100 years of solitude, it's a long rambling book full of digressions. For me though, his books just don't draw me in.

Just started New York Stories from the New Yorker: 40 or so short stories (fiction) that evoke New york and which have been printed in the New yorker over the past 60 or so years. Woody Allen, Saul Bellow, Jeffrey Eugenides, Nabokov, JD Salinger etc. The first few are deadly and i have high hopes for the rest.

I finally finished Love in the Time of Cholera by gabriel garcia marquez. Like 100 years of solitude, it's a long rambling book full of digressions. For me though, his books just don't draw me in.

i thought both were excellent though i prefer 100 years of solitude though in 100 ytears of solitude, it seems it was over a loinger period. maybe the publisher didn't think 123 years of solitude had the same ring

if you didn't like them, don't try autumn of the patriarch. that is tough going even for someone who loves garcia marquez writing. i think he forgot to use things like paragraphs and full stops in it. it was ok but i wouldn't recomend it

i'm currently reading:

A Girl for All Seasons- Camilla Morton
It's the cutest book. She recommends films and books to read for each month and talks about the origins of different parts of the story. She also wrote How to Walk in High Heels which I loved too.I'm only on February so i'll report back when i'm finished.

Library Confidential- Don Borchert
its about a library worker in America. I'm about half way through and it's really enjoyable.

Just started New York Stories from the New Yorker: 40 or so short stories (fiction) that evoke New york and which have been printed in the New yorker over the past 60 or so years. Woody Allen, Saul Bellow, Jeffrey Eugenides, Nabokov, JD Salinger etc. The first few are deadly and i have high hopes for the rest.

You should try Living To Tell The Tale his memoir. Some of the chapters in that are brilliant... and they're actually real life and shit. Especially the one about the riot erupting in Bogota while he was living there. Brilliant stuff.

I am currently reading The Complete Stories of Truman Capote. Some are nice, some are not so deadly. Short stories can be frequently annoying because you feel like they don't do much, or even if they do do one good thing in the story, that they could be doing more. But you can read one on the bus in to work in the morning which is handy, and some of my favourite writing ever is a short story - i.e. The Dead.

Also just read The Outsider by Albert Camus. Get the feeling I should've done that about 7 years ago though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back