What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

54410.jpg

Making my way through this now. Found it randomly in the library and took it out. Its the original Penguin 1969 translation so its a bit off sometimes but its very very very good. If anyone has a spare copy of A Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovivch, I'll gladly buy it off you.

414X29RY0PL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Japans Quiet Transformation: Social Change and Civil Society in 21st Century Japan

Great book. More of an academic text than a book but its basically just a huge bunch of articles on topics. RSJ, you should check this one out!

Making my way through this now. Found it randomly in the library and took it out. Its the original Penguin 1969 translation so its a bit off sometimes but its very very very good. If anyone has a spare copy of A Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovivch, I'll gladly buy it off you.

i actually don't think i quite finished it at the last attempt.pitiful really for such a short book.i'll try and root it out and finish it one of these days. I'll give it to you then if you like?

54410.jpg

414X29RY0PL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Japans Quiet Transformation: Social Change and Civil Society in 21st Century Japan

Great book. More of an academic text than a book but its basically just a huge bunch of articles on topics. RSJ, you should check this one out!

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of A Day In The Life of Ivan... at home. I'll have a root for it this weekend & forward it to you.

Cancer Ward's great. A really draining experience.

A Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovivch

Great book-one that comes to mind often anytime I feel I'm having a bad day

It's not hard to find though. I got it in a charity shop

I'm reading the Lay of the land by Richard Ford, the third of the frank Bascombe books. So far so good - it strange how easily i slip into his middle-aged mindset.

Im reading What Is Life by Erwin Shrodinger. So far it has been about why our brains have to be so big relative to the size of atoms. Interesting so far.

This sounds like my cuppa. I just read the Yamato Dynasty by Sterling Seagrave and it was great. It's weird after all these years of being obsessed with Japan to find out that a lot of things there aren't cool at all. It seems the same bunch of people have been running the show since the days of the Shoguns. And according to Seagrave they hold the reigns still no matter who anyone votes for.

I found a load more comics too while I was packing if you're interested. I also have Ivan Denisovivch at my folks house. You can have that. I'll never read it again even though it was brillo if memory serves
A Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovivch

Great book-one that comes to mind often anytime I feel I'm having a bad day

It's not hard to find though. I got it in a charity shop

Me too

I still :heart: Japan for the record guyz

Currently reading "The brothers Bulger" and "The Mission Song" by John Le Carre, enjoying it so far, the first of his books I have read, can anyone recommend other books by him worth a read?

Currently reading "The brothers Bulger" and "The Mission Song" by John Le Carre, enjoying it so far, the first of his books I have read, can anyone recommend other books by him worth a read?

'Tinker, Tailor, Soilder, Spy' or 'The Russia House'.

Finally finished Shantaram, great book although it does sorta end abruptly. Had quite a few marathon reading sessions when I just couldn't put it down too. Really fascinating story and true too(based anyway).

Possible spoiler in white:
It says on the back it took three attempts at writing while in jail but it never gets as far as him leaving Bombay or going back to jail in the book.

'Tinker, Tailor, Soilder, Spy' or 'The Russia House'.

Cheers. Im finding The Mission Song slightly convoluted though his language is engaging. Is a slightly confusing plot typical of his books? or maybe its just my brain is a bit flabby at the mo.

Cheers. Im finding The Mission Song slightly convoluted though his language is engaging. Is a slightly confusing plot typical of his books? or maybe its just my brain is a bit flabby at the mo.

I haven't read The Mission Song but by it's very nature spy fiction ought to have a complex plot albeit with a straightforward narrative . 'The Russia House' and 'The Constant Gardener' are less convoluted than 'Tinker, Tailor, Soilder, Spy' though.

Do you like Graham Greene?

I haven't read The Mission Song but by it's very nature spy fiction ought to have a complex plot albeit with a straightforward narrative . 'The Russia House' and 'The Constant Gardener' are less convoluted than 'Tinker, Tailor, Soilder, Spy' though.

I have seen the film versions of The Tailor Panama and The Constant Gardener which may have been dumbed down from the books.

Not yet, where to start?

made a hash of my original reply. No havent read any Graham Greene, what would be a good book to start with? I plan to maybe check out Le Carre's George Smiley's books. I overheard some guy on the train saying Le Carre cerebral approach to spy fiction was a more or less direct response to the more prosaic Ian Fleming books / Bond Films.

Well I think everything Graham Greene wrote is well worth reading but of his 'spy' fiction 'The Third Man', 'The Quiet American' and 'The Heart of The Matter' are reasonable places to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back