What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

I am currently reading PD James' Children of Men. I saw the film and then later found the book on the shelf here at home so thought I would give it a look. The film is rather different from the book. I found it kind of depressing. It deals in depth with what a world would be like where no children could be born.

I finally finished Women In Love by DH Lawrence. It was a bit of a struggle to be honest. 500 pages on hairsplitting philosophy and upper class ennui. Glad to have it over with.

Next it's on to the Three Musketeers. I really enjoyed the Count of Monte Cristo and am looking forward to some Dumas-style fast-paced action after the treacle of the DH Lawrence book. I also want to find out why musketeers use swords rather than muskets.

Currently rereading Emmett Grogans Ringolevio- a great read but after looking him up on the web it seems he had a tendency to be a bit of a bull-shitter. I always thought his stories were a bit far-fetched but I hadn't heard people like Peter Coyote saying to take everything he says with a pich of salt. I also didnt know he co-wrote alot of the songs on a Robby Kreiger LP and Bob Dylan dedicated an album to him.

Some character, while reading it I got to thinking "I wonder what he's doing now", I was actually shocked and saddened to learn he died in 78, apparently of a heroin overdose.

Finished the Three Musketters last weekend. What a weird ending. Weird book. I can't believe Dumas (or dumbass I'm told he's called) published that and The Count of Monte Cristo in the one year.

Am now half-way through Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy. One of lighter books, though probably his best writing of regional dialect; also quite funny (for him).

henry miller - 'tropic of capricorn'

i feel like a teenager reading something mind blowing for the first time
because i am reading something mindblowing for the first time!

am about halfway through blue mars by kim stanley robinson. am about at the stage where my reading is accelerating to get the trilogy finished.

i really, really liked the awakening when i was an impressionable first year, but maybe i'll change my mind whenever i re-read it.
at the moment i'm about 60 pages off finishing middlemarch. which i really enjoyed. it has seemed like an intellectual soap opera.

i really, really liked the awakening when i was an impressionable first year, but maybe i'll change my mind whenever i re-read it.
at the moment i'm about 60 pages off finishing middlemarch. which i really enjoyed. it has seemed like an intellectual soap opera.

Well, I'm coming to The Awakening from having forced myself to read about half of Caleb Williams before getting so sick of it that I couldn't face another page. Talk about a breath of fresh air.

eek. caleb williams was another first year book for me. i think i got to page 9 before giving up.

Yep, these are course related reading too. Caleb Williams does get marginally more interesting after a while, but doesn't get any easier to read. TRIPE! And that's exactly what I intend to say if I have to do an assignment or write an exam answer on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back