What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

oh shit said:
reading 'for whom the bell tolls' by hemmers, it's deadly i tell thee

I have had mixed experiences with Ernie, although I haven't read that one. I liked Fiesta and A moveable Feast, but I wasn't mad on To Have and have Not or the short stories.

For some reason you can only get really cheapy editions of his books over here, with tight print and rough paper. I have bought nicer editions when I've been on holidays, and they are no more expensive.

avernus said:
Ham on Rye - Charles Bukowski.

Finished it today at lunch. Felt like putting a gun in my mouth. Very downbeat, very funny, very very good. Prefer Post Office, though...or do I?!

My other half is reading those two this week. I think I prefer Ham on Rye. Have you read any other Bukowski? Those are the only two I've read and I want to know which one to get next.

I read a lot of the Selected Poems from Roger McGough. He's lots of fun.

And tonight, Matthew, I will be reading Copenhagen by Michael Frayn.

Catwoman said:
My other half is reading those two this week. I think I prefer Ham on Rye. Have you read any other Bukowski? Those are the only two I've read and I want to know which one to get next.

In order of quality:

1 -Ham on Rye
2 - Post Office
3 - Factotum
4 - women

Of the short stories, tale of ordinary Madness is good; the most beautiful woman in town is weak.

kornwolf by tristan egolf. funny and imaginative enough being as it is about a slayer loving werewolf in the amish community of pennsyltucky. really weak ending tho. this guy tristan egolf had a very interesting life before topping himself at 32 after this book was written leaving behind a wife and young daughter. i started reading in cold blood straight after i finished this and the gulf in the quality of the writing is pretty noticeable. a good read tho.

switchblade romance - how did i know this was going to be a 'twist' movie after about 2 minutes?
it's alright but that ending...man...LAAAAAAAAAAME

GORILLAMUNCH said:
that isnt' a book

Check out the falcon

David-Bowie-This-Is-Not-Ameri-28465.jpg

aoifed said:
Last night I read all about how Jordan can never completely trust Pete. And I read about how Tara Palmer Tompkinson isn't a skinny addict. Riveting bedtime stuff.

Is that the first or second autobiography?

i saw tempted to buy the first jordan biography in the 3 for 2 in waterstones yesterday..and the jodie marsh one..but i resisted the urge..i think i may have made a horrible mistake:)

the photos in both of them are weird tho..the ones at jordans wedding were peter andre is just dripping in sweat..vile..

muffin said:
i saw tempted to buy the first jordan biography in the 3 for 2 in waterstones yesterday..and the jodie marsh one..but i resisted the urge..i think i may have made a horrible mistake:)

the photos in both of them are weird tho..the ones at jordans wedding were peter andre is just dripping in sweat..vile..

That's not peter, that's the elephant leg kebab meat they had for the meal.

Finished Breakfast of Champions by K Vonnegut. His style is quite snappy, but I think he's a little too cynical for my tastes.

Am reading Seize the Day by Saul Bellow. Middle aged failure and his problems getting the respect of his father. I can see the influence of this book on people like Richard Ford and John Updike.

the 3 books i'm reading curretnly are:

the escape artist - matt seaton
the story of god - robert winston
damned if i do - percival everitt

i loved american desert by percival everitt. it was a very good read

Due to insomnia I read 'Lunar Park' by Bret Easton Ellis.

THIS JUST IN: Writer writes book about writing! With fictionalized version of self-same writer as main character/narrator! Revolutionary!

"Bret, with these hackneyed post-modernisms you are really spoiling us." (Or maybe that's the whole point. Hmmmm...that's a real toughie...)

Entertaining enough though (i.e. didn't serve intended purpose of getting me to sleep).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back