What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (9 Viewers)

Giving this a go.

Marlon%20James-A%20Brief%20History%20of%20Seven%20Killings.jpg

Good man. It's tough going by all accounts

"The sun beats the shit out of a dirty road called Raton Pass where the closest thing to a pair of matching earrings is a guy named Carl who punches you in the head with his fist".

If you feel like being assaulted by some very short short stories, this is for you. Vicious and mouth-opening shocking, but quite funny too. Not for everyone truth be told

Gutshot.jpg

Last edited:
How Soon is now? By Richard King
The story of british indie record labels
(Rough Trade, 4AD, Creation, Warp, Domino ect......)

@Lili Marlene - Enjoyed The Ghost'd Child, and didn't even mind the spoiler you referred to.

I have The Midnight Zoo here too, so will give that a shot soon

8858889.jpg
that's one of her best imho

She kind of has a few different styles of writing, the Midnight Zoo and the Ghost's Child are both from quite a big perspective. A lot of her other stuff is very personal and micro. She just has these individual sentences, or sometimes even just adjectival phrases, that floor me every time. She can describe a character in less than a page where you feel you know their entire life.

For a children's book (which I'm presuming it is?) there are some pretty heavy themes in there!
She does have what is marketed as children's books, teenage/YA books and some adults books but, if i'm being honest, I roll my eyes when someone is surprised at "pretty heavy themes" in a "children's" book. These things can usually be sussed out pretty quick based on the author. Her first book was released when she was 15 and is considered one of her adult books.

Last edited:
But in the meantime, have started this
that's one of her best imho

She kind of has a few different styles of writing, the Midnight Zoo and the Ghost's Child are both from quite a big perspective. A lot of her other stuff is very personal and micro. She just has these individual sentences, or sometimes even just adjectival phrases, that floor me every time. She can describe a character in less than a page where you feel you know their entire life.

She does have what is marketed as children's books, teenage/YA books and some adults books but, if i'm being honest, I roll my eyes when someone is surprised at "pretty heavy themes" in a "children's" book. These things can usually be sussed out pretty quick based on the author. Her first book was released when she was 15 and is considered one of her adult books.

Love the sound of her micro ones!

Now that I think about it, I understand your eye rolling tendencies to comments like that. After all, "children's stories" have been pretty heavy throughout the ages, from the traditional Fairy-tales to Roald Dahl to Harry Potter etc.

I too will roll my eyes when I hear such comments in the future!

Finished the Marlon James. I agree that it loses momentum about 2/3 of the way through. Once it shifts from Jamaica to NY it feels like a different novel. Still great though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back