What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

i think i read one on the list :) (H is for hawk by helen mcdonald)
i did get patrick dewitt's new one last week in dublin so that is a second one to read

it is one of these things when i see a long list of books, i go through it and count how many i've read or have in my shelf to be read. it is the same with the impac prize long list

The Patrick deWitt one is great!

i started reading this today as a non-taxing read for a plane/bus journey

poolbeg_all_i_want_for_christmas.jpg

it's fucking awful

i'm still going to finish it though

reading this

25065629.jpg

not far into it. Its terribly American.

hugely underwhelming and greatly disappointing book. Very much, memoir-by-numbers, fare. Awful. You could sense from reading it that she had no more interest in writing it.

Put in a bit about riding groupies there, Carrie. 'We didn't really sleep with groupies in Sleater-Kinney. I wish I could say we did, but we didn't'

Riveting stuff.

I started reading THE BOOK OF THE SEASON

24189224.jpg

It is easy to read and entertaining and pretty flimsy tbh
Finally finished this.

TERRIBLE.

Well, ok, it was alright. I liked some of the characters, some. The writing did the job but was very MFA "I am a writer" kind of stuff. greatbigmeh

Although being that the film/tv rights were sold years ago I'd say it'll make a decent tv show.

Fucking weight off my back though, Jesus.

Finally finished this.

TERRIBLE.

Well, ok, it was alright. I liked some of the characters, some. The writing did the job but was very MFA "I am a writer" kind of stuff. greatbigmeh

Although being that the film/tv rights were sold years ago I'd say it'll make a decent tv show.

Fucking weight off my back though, Jesus.
MFA?

Master of Fine Arts

It's a (fairly clichéd at this point but still valid imho) common criticism of a lot of prestige writers in recent years that they all write the same because they've all been taught the same and all attend the same or very similar writing workshops. All individuality is thrown out and replaced with pure lyrical dexterity, like music by soulless session musicians, as described here:

Letters · LRB 6 December 2012

... the first sentences of so many stories in the Best American series follow the same formula. Start with the words ‘when’ or ‘after’; mention the first name of a character; dangle a pronoun with no antecedent; drop one heavy symbol or allusion; and use vaguely abstract phrasing to lay out a fairly banal situation. Here’s the first sentence of Maile Meloy’s story ‘Demeter’, about splitting child custody, in the 19 November issue of the New Yorker: ‘When they divided up the year, Demeter chose, for her own, the months when the days start getting longer.’ It’s odd that so many students told ‘find your voice’ so often find the same one.

I've been meaning to start a collection of stories that fit this description.

Last edited:
enjoy "Canada". I thought it was very good (maybe next time my brother is looking for books from me, I think I'll give him that one)

I'm currently reading "the vagrants" by yiyun li, i have lanterne rouge by max leonard also planning, then i need to think what else

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back