What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

Hottish on the heels of The Bone Clocks - this was a neater, snappier read, with a creepy yet oddly peaceful mood.

View attachment 11029
Read this in one go last night (it's good and short).. I was enjoying the Stephen King creepiness of it and the nicely observed character voices then groaned inwardly halfway through when I realized we're back in Bone Clocks territory with the RPG type guff about orisons, suasioning, Atemporals etc. and the convoluted era-spanning travelogue backstories.. It's definitely much more readable than Bone Clocks as that stuff is kept mostly towards the end of the book but hopefully he's got it out of his system for a while now.

Read this in one go last night (it's good and short).. I was enjoying the Stephen King creepiness of it and the nicely observed character voices then groaned inwardly halfway through when I realized we're back in Bone Clocks territory with the RPG type guff about orisons, suasioning, Atemporals etc. and the convoluted era-spanning travelogue backstories.. It's definitely much more readable than Bone Clocks as that stuff is kept mostly towards the end of the book but hopefully he's got it out of his system for a while now.

Yeah, I agree. Although, I liked the character from the Bone Clocks that re-appeared here. I'd like to see him write a straight-ish novel again, like Black Swan Green.

I've only read Black Swan Green and Thousand Autumns and, oh man, did Black Swan Green annoy the fuck out of me. I really enjoyed Thousand Autumns though. Might get around to the rest soon, i've a few mates mad into him who never stop bugging me to read more of his stuff.

I abandoned Purity and Perfidia recently. Both 600 pages + in the Great American Novel tradition. 5 years ago I would’ve lapped that shit up. These days I’m all about books about short story collections.

Everyone is banging on about how great this is. Over 730 pages though.

a-little-life-hanya-yanagihara.jpg

the booker prize does like its winners to be long ;)

currently on "brief history of seven killings" by marlon james at 688 pages

How's that going?

Terry Wogan of all people had this to say about it..

"I mean, the thing that’s just won the Booker Prize . . . murder, mayhem and slang from the mean streets of Kingston. Only readable if you’re a Yardie"

The year in books: what have the writers been reading in 2015?

image.jpg

Finished the below at the weekend (thanks @7 - No tomorrow !)
cover-Engaging-Eurasia-Separatist-States.jpg

And in keeping with the long reads everyone seems to be at lately, I started the other below on Sunday. Over 1000 pages of small type, I bought it when it came out first but can't remember much, if any of it, so I'm going back for another go. Decent reading so far, it's still at the Greek roots of Christianity with the main man yet to appear.
9780141021898.jpg

And in keeping with the long reads everyone seems to be at lately, I started the other below on Sunday. Over 1000 pages of small type, I bought it when it came out first but can't remember much, if any of it, so I'm going back for another go. Decent reading so far, it's still at the Greek roots of Christianity with the main man yet to appear.
9780141021898.jpg

Jaysis!

Fair play!

I know! But it's fun to scoot through.

i think i read one on the list :) (H is for hawk by helen mcdonald)
i did get patrick dewitt's new one last week in dublin so that is a second one to read

it is one of these things when i see a long list of books, i go through it and count how many i've read or have in my shelf to be read. it is the same with the impac prize long list

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back