What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (10 Viewers)

519KRNtFieL._SL1500_.jpg

Just about finished with this. Its a pretty decent account of the hacker/cryptography movement that spawned Wikileaks etc. A little too in thrall to the personalities and absolutely no notion of any kind of critique but it's informative and entertaining. Actually made me nostalgic for my early experiences of the Internet. I feel like cracking out a Linux box and telnetting the fuck into something now.

towel.blinkenlights.nl 23

i'm reading this

511DWQP12KL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

following fictional characters (who occasionally encounter such lads as st patrick, brian boru and strongbow) through irish history centred around dublin from around 400 AD to the 1500s. i was expecting it to be a pile of shit but it's a great read. a giant multigenerational saga in the style of james michener, if you like that sort of thing, which i really do.

i definitely need history to be presented in the form of swashbuckling fiction. i don't know how much time i spent learning this stuff at school but only the vaguest notion of the details ever stuck; i have a much better grasp of it now.

i'm reading this

511DWQP12KL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

following fictional characters (who occasionally encounter such lads as st patrick, brian boru and strongbow) through irish history centred around dublin from around 400 AD to the 1500s. i was expecting it to be a pile of shit but it's a great read. a giant multigenerational saga in the style of james michener, if you like that sort of thing, which i really do.

i definitely need history to be presented in the form of swashbuckling fiction. i don't know how much time i spent learning this stuff at school but only the vaguest notion of the details ever stuck; i have a much better grasp of it now.

Looks like good craic.

Kind of reminds me of an edition of the "Heroes of Greece and Troy" I have somewhere, which my brother got for his 12th birthday. It's fantastic and tells the stories of Heracles, Prometheus and all those lads, in a cool understandable way, with great illustrations throughout.

The lads would go on great quests where they would meet ladies who would "provide great entertainment" for the night.

61khP3%2BgSfL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read Jonathan Livingstone Seagul and about 500 pages of Battlefield Earth. I read JLS when I was a teenager, I was thoroughly ridiculed when I recommended it to the lad sitting beside me in school but I'm still not sure why. It's a bit naff, maybe.

What's embarrasing about having read Das Capital? Surely that's pretty impressive.

I've read five of these. The two Franzens (are they embarassnig because the Internet hates him now for some reason?), one of the Brett Easton Ellis (again, huh?), The Doors book and The Da Vinci Code (okay, that was shite).

eight!

Both Dan Browns
Two Twilights
Some Grisham
50 Shades
The Secret
Go Ask Alice

Most of them were utter shite but I'll happily admit to reading them since it usually makes a good conversation.

I picked it up in the library when I was about 11, had no idea it was a big famous thing until I was maybe 20.

go ask alice was one of the books we had in the house growing up so i've read it at least five times

Same here!

The only other ones I read were Franzen's Corrections - which was grand, and Flowers in the Attic, which I sneaked out of my sister's room when I was a teenager. I really felt like I was reading something forbidden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back