What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (13 Viewers)

The Croning. Lovecraft inspired cosmic horror about an ageing academic type who begins to suspect his wife of many years is a priestess in a giant leech worshipping apocalyptic cult. Good creepy shit.
13279700.jpg
This sounds right up my street!

The Mark and the Void by Paul Murray, author of Skipy Dies. Funniest book I've read all year. This is gonna get raves. My friend described it as "the funniest book I've read since Confederacy of Dunces". High praise indeed.
image.jpg

The Mark and the Void by Paul Murray, author of Skipy Dies. Funniest book I've read all year. This is gonna get raves. My friend described it as "the funniest book I've read since Confederacy of Dunces". High praise indeed.
View attachment 10564

Can't wait for this. Is it deliberately written as a comic novel, or is humour just a major part of it? I often find "comic" novels a bit forced. You know those blurbs - "uproariously funny" etc. Confederacy of Dunces had me tutting a lot for this reason.

View attachment 10564
is it better than Skippy Dies? That sent me to sleep after 50 pages, i'll have to try it again though.

Gaza : A History by Jean-Pierre Filiu
Very dense with names, dates and numbers, I found it a little hard to keep up with who was who and what happened where and when. Very interesting overall though, filled in a lot of context that I was missing. Extremely grim.

slogging through the last of the game of throneses.

my shelf of unread books is giving me dirty looks.
The last two books really are a slog, especially the last one. I read them one after the other. the first three flew in and I very nearly gave up on the last few. In fact, If he ever writes the last one, I wont be running to buy it.

Started listening to audio books. 2 and a half hour work commute. Listening to audiobooks is pure weird. Not sure if I like it. It's a break from new music for a while. It was getting tiring sifting through the 99% shite hoping for the 1% gold. An audio book break might be a relief for the senses. Listening to Confederacy of Dunces. So far, its just listening to a complete fucking asshole named Ignacious being a total prick. Nothing much else.
Reading some Willie Nelson 'Its a long Story' bio in evenings then. Same as any other musician bio. light reading!!

Last edited:
Reading A Belfast Anthology compiled by Patricia Craig. It's a hefty book but perfect for commute as it consists of poetry and short excerpts from fiction and factual stuff about Belfast. Perfect for dipping into. It's beautifully presented and there are some laugh-out-loud as well as bawl-your-eyes-out sections throughout. I have a book by Pakenham on Dublin but it has more of a historical focus and just isn't as interesting. I am curious if there is a Dublin anthology that is a match for this collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back