What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

Christ, I've read 30 of them. I'm so predictable. And yeah, Ayn Rand is cool???? What kind of idiot thinks Ayn Rand is cool?

Christ, I've read 30 of them. I'm so predictable. And yeah, Ayn Rand is cool???? What kind of idiot thinks Ayn Rand is cool?
alan-greenspan.jpg

My first James Salter - A Sport and a Passtime.

Really beautiful and vivid writing early on, but the eroticism has kicked in, which is ironically, a real turn off.
I find sex scenes in books to be ludicrous. I'll try a few more though as his writing is so impressive.

Picked it up 2nd hand in Chapters, which is why I started with this one..

42f3017b42a019e0ef7bf110.L.jpg

My first James Salter - A Sport and a Passtime.

Really beautiful and vivid writing early on, but the eroticism has kicked in, which is ironically, a real turn off.
I find sex scenes in books to be ludicrous. I'll try a few more though as his writing is so impressive.

Picked it up 2nd hand in Chapters, which is why I started with this one..

42f3017b42a019e0ef7bf110.L.jpg

Yeah, it's a strange one. My feelings exactly. I had read The Hunters (his first, I think) before which is an awesome, beautifully written book about masculinity, competition and failure. (I'll save you a plot synopsis because it'll sound like Top Gun).

Been looking for a secondhand copy of Light Years myself. Interested to see how his suburban marriage one is in comparison to Updike, Yates, et al.

The last Salter I read was his autobiography, which is another feast of a book. Burning the Days. He renders his own life so beautifully, thus making it all sound so impossibly romantic. Whilst coming across as a grounded, considerate human being. No mean feat.

And there's a nice interview with him in the Paris Review (google it)

I hear your point, Jim, about erotic/sex writing. Robert Coover may be the only fiction writer to ever give me a proper hard on. He's a naughty little man.

Anyway Salter has a new book out this year. He's even on facebook!

FINALLY I UNDERSTAND

The 50 Coolest Books Ever - Entertainment - ShortList Magazine

I've read seven and two separate halves off that list. Very uncool. I've read all the Harry Potters though

Yeah, these things give me the willies. It's always the same fucking writers. Jesus, dig a little deeper.

Ooh, they have the token Calvino (it's a good one, mind).

Always Pynchon. William Gaddis did exist, yaknow. Pricks.

Phew, fourteen and a half. Two were for seminars though (Fight Club and In Cold Blood). And two when I was a teenager.

I'm surprised The Dharma Bums is there. That is the only Kerouac I like. Two Kerouacs on a list though? C'mon. Dig deeper. Or is he cool again, when he's not making a tit of himself on old youtube clips?

People are always banging on about Perfume. Chess soc auditors and the like. People who don't read a hell of a lot and then proclaim it to be one of the best books ever written, it being one of the few they've read. Christ.

I've read three of them. It looks like the "Cult Fiction" section in Chapters. I hate that section, if a book is in there I'm not going to read it.

I hear ya. But at the same time, you'll be missing out on some spiffy American post-modern stuff.
Are you talking about the second hand cult section also?

Anyway, read Muriel Spark's The Comforters last week. She's cheeky. Spark has her cake and eats it too. Yum yum yum. Best Spark yet.

Ambling through William Maxwell's autumnal All the Days & All the Nights also. Reads like a kinder, more innocent Cheever perhaps. I haven't read Maxwell in a while. Always good to go back to him.

Think I've read 6 of them. Certainly started Gravity's Rainbow but not sure I ever finished ....

I hear ya. But at the same time, you'll be missing out on some spiffy American post-modern stuff.
Are you talking about the second hand cult section also?

Anyway, read Muriel Spark's The Comforters last week. She's cheeky. Spark has her cake and eats it too. Yum yum yum. Best Spark yet.

Ambling through William Maxwell's autumnal All the Days & All the Nights also. Reads like a kinder, more innocent Cheever perhaps. I haven't read Maxwell in a while. Always good to go back to him.

The secondhand cult section only has about 6 books i think. I wish William Maxwell had more books. That said, I've had Mr's Donald's Dog Bun and His Home Away From Home sitting on the shelf for the last year or two and I still haven't rad it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back